To be a Storm Queen?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Renly.

No, seriously, that's a hell of a choice. I'd have to say Stannis on the basis that he is not a drunken, whoring slob like Robert who has no loving feelings towards his wife, nor does he ever even try to develop any because he's put a dead girl on a pedestal who (possibly) never wanted to marry him anyway.

I'm not fond of the character of Stannis, either. But he strikes me as more dependable even though he's an unsmiling bore. Presuming we married for family alliance reasons, not love, I'd be free to do pretty much what I want to whilst he's off on campaign. I wouldn't be taken in by that fraud Mel, either.

Stannis is kind of a jerk, but I felt that he never seriously wronged Selyse the way Robert did with Cersei

Selyse wasn't the sadistic, narcissistic, unlovable, bother-banging child murderer that Cersei was.

Stannis is kind of a jerk, but I felt that he never seriously wronged Selyse the way Robert did with Cersei

He is rather and maybe he stayed away from Selyse because she had a moustache? There's nothing in the text that shows he played away from home apart from Melisandra. As I said, I'd take care of her.... and there would be no destroying religious artworks on my watch.

The mustache would honestly be a deal breaker for me, if I were Stannis. Selyse might also be more lovable than Cersei, though that isn't saying much.

Am I abnormal for finding Selyse far more grating, toxic and annoying than Melisandre, even though Mel is the one who burns people at the stake?

Am I abnormal for finding Selyse far more grating, toxic and annoying than Melisandre, even though Mel is the one who burns people at the stake?

Nope.

I find Mel's character VERY intriguing in the books. But if I were in Selyse's place I'd get rid of her. Mel is in charge and Selyse just huff's around the place looking down her nose at people. A true bigot. But OTOH we don't really know much about Selyse. I could have sympathy for her having some sad event in her past that made her this way, but she's so zealous and arrogant.

But then Cersei.... yick - like kissing a cobra.

She isn't. She is a religious bigot.

Still, the point I intended to make is that it is unfair to assume that Robert would treat EVERY woman he married the way he treated Cersei. Cersei was simply toxic, and I think the failed marriage was more her fault than anyone else's.

If Stannis was in Robert's place probably he would have had Cersei executed long ago.

Robert. I don't think he's any better than stannis when it comes to husband material but at least that way you're not with a sexist (and let's be honest) mind numbing guy.

Not a sexist guy? Who smacks his wife for saying he should be in skirts? Who objectifies and sleeps with every attractive girl who comes around, and abandons her afterward?

Still, the point I intended to make is that it is unfair to assume that Robert would treat EVERY woman he married the way he treated Cersei. Cersei was simply toxic, and I think the failed marriage was more her fault than anyone else's.

If Stannis was in Robert's place probably he would have had Cersei executed long ago.

Yes, I understood that was what you meant. :) Husbands and wives do have an influence of each others personalities and we are all guilty of treating some people with more courtesy and understanding than others, depending on their personality/actions, etc.

I think some parts of Robert's personality would not change - he'd always remember Lyanna and be constantly reminded that she was gone forever.

I also think Stan would always be a stick-in-the-mud. But I like to think I'm a classy chick who might match Bob drink-for-drink and bring a smile to Stan with my sparkling wit and repartee ... :cool4:

The OP suggested that, in this scenario, to assume they are 20-25 and presumably not previously married. So I was trying to adhere loosely to that. If I did come along after Stan lopped off Cersei's pretty head I'm sure he would be in a better mood.

The drunken womaniser or the sulky block of wood... kill me now.

I guess Robert is the lesser evil. You'd have to put up with his boorishness, but at least he was nice to look at, in his youth, and you get to be Queen. With Stannis, you'd be trapped on miserable Dragonstone, listening to grumblings about how unfair everything is. The sound of teeth grinding bouncing off castle walls would drive anyone mad.

I'd marry Robert. I would be all sweet to him and eventually "forgive" him every time but not before making him feel super guilty and mercilessly exploiting his guilt to the maximum, as my grandma taught me in the "manipulate your husband 101" lessons.

Just kiddin' :)

Lets assume location is not an issue ( perhaps somewhere in the Stormlands.. or anywhere.. I realize that Dragonstone would be a huge deal breaker for a lot of people)

You do get to be queen with Robert, that is true...... And he may be sweeter to you than he was with Cersei, as long as you don't say "he should be the one in skirts" or something to that effect.. :uhoh:

I do think he would be an open and flagrant womanizer, and likely would not have stopped even if he got to marry Lyanna. Perhaps he'd be less of a drunk. I suspected his massive drinking in AGOT was due to him more being depressed and wanting to "dull the pain" than necessarily being a party animal ( though I'm sure there was some overlap. :cool4:

Though I am not a woman, if I were one I might choose Stannis. Even though he is harsher and more unpleasant than Robert, he seems to be a better person in the things that really matter, and shows more backbone on integrity issues. There is a certain reckless selfishness to Robert ( bedding all those teenage girls, not caring about them or their kids once he is finished, running treasury into the ground, not giving a crap etc.) that I think would eventually translate toward his relationship with his wife and kids ( even if they were't horrible like Cersei and Joffrey).

I don't believe Stannis would do any of the above, and he likely would have stood up for Sansa, by refusing to let Cersei kill Lady the Direwolf. Stannis: " Are you blind and stupid, woman? The girl's wolf attacked no one! I will not suffer it to be harmed!"

I just think it would be easier ( for me) to overlook Stan's faults and short comings, since I believe he is "right" on issues and morals that are generally important (if not specific acts, such as trying to burn Edric Storm... :( )

But then again... Robert ordered Viserys and Danerys to be killed, for no other reason than he hated Targaryens.

He also was happy that Clegane and Lorch got rid of Rhaegar's children, and probably even more so that he did not have to get his own hands dirty to have it done

Yes, I understood that was what you meant. :) Husbands and wives do have an influence of each others personalities and we are all guilty of treating some people with more courtesy and understanding than others, depending on their personality/actions, etc.

I think some parts of Robert's personality would not change - he'd always remember Lyanna and be constantly reminded that she was gone forever.

I also think Stan would always be a stick-in-the-mud. But I like to think I'm a classy chick who might match Bob drink-for-drink and bring a smile to Stan with my sparkling wit and repartee ... :cool4:

I clarified because it is annoying how people act like Cersei was the victim for having to be married to Robert, because nothing he did to her is nearly as bad as any of the things she did to him.

Cersei cheated on Robert every chance she got (with her brother no less), she not only refused to bare him a son but actually tricked him into thinking her brother's sons were hers (especially bad considering said sons were expected to rule the kingdom [the phrase of the day is 'brutal succession war']), she threatened to murder Robert's daughter, and what else? Oh right: she assassinated Robert on a hunting trip.

Just avoid doing those things and you'll be a much better wife than Cersei no matter who you marry. Really, the bad is not that high.

I clarified because it is annoying how people act like Cersei was the victim for having to be married to Robert, because nothing he did to her is nearly as bad as any of the things she did to him.

Cersei cheated on Robert every chance she got (with her brother no less), she not only refused to bare him a son but actually tricked him into thinking her brother's sons were hers (especially bad considering said sons were expected to rule the kingdom [the phrase of the day is 'brutal succession war']), she threatened to murder Robert's daughter, and what else? Oh right: she assassinated Robert on a hunting trip.

Just avoid doing those things and you'll be a much better wife than Cersei no matter who you marry. Really, the bad is not that high.

This is gonna get ugly.. fast

Archived