Why do so many people hate Jon Snow?

Ser Triston Stark

Jon Snow is by far my favorite character in the books. He's brave and just, he beheads Janos Slynt, he tries to heal the schism between Wildlings and Southorners, he isn't cruel like Stannis plus he has a f*cking direwolf. A badass, bone breaking, face mauling direwolf. Yeah he may have been kind of annoying in the first book but after that he matures SO WELL into who he is now. He treats the Wildlings as people, no creatures. He sees the real threat, he is loved by a lot of the watch, and he has Longclaw. Why do people hate him so much? He is what everyone wants to believe in.

I am indifferent-leaning-towards-positive with regards to Mr. Snow, but I think those who dislike him generally do so for meta reasons, such as him being seen as The Chosen One™ or similar, and not because of the personality of the character.

Dunno, probably cos his goody two shoes nature is boring to read especially when you have other characters who's inner conflict and moral dilemmas are much more interesting

I like Jon too but his storyline is a bit grating to read at times, he's like a Ned clone but learning street smarts

Some people probably think he's a Mary Sue...and compared to other characters I suppose he might be.

Others seem to dislike him because he tried to reform a bigoted, conservative, 8,000 year old organization and was murdered for it ("he failed as lord commander").

He's the closest thing to a traditional Gary Stu-ish fantasy hero in a series where most characters are deconstructions of genre archetypes, not only that, but it seems like he might be the central character of the story, vexing people who might have enjoyed more focus on more nuanced characters. Not only that, but he is imbued by plot gifts, and is constantly put in situations where he can do no wrong, leading to cheap dilemmas with no interesting conclusions.

Also the plot bends around him to accommodate him, and out of all the characters, he's probably the one with the most ridiculous plot gifts.

Seriously, fuck Jon.

He's the closest thing to a traditional Gary Stu-ish fantasy hero in a series where most characters are deconstructions of genre archetypes, not only that, but it seems like he might be the central character of the story, vexing people who might have enjoyed more focus on more nuanced characters. Not only that, but he is imbued by plot gifts, and is constantly put in situations where he can do no wrong, leading to cheap dilemmas with no interesting conclusions.

Also the plot bends around him to accommodate him, and out of all the characters, he's probably the one with the most ridiculous plot gifts.

Seriously, fuck Jon.

So getting stabbed to death by your own men is a plot gift?

I do not hate Jon Snow I just don't give a flying fuck about him. It happens. (Usually to main characters with me).

Yeah, because he's totally going to stay dead and not become the saviour of the world?

I love Jon. I'm usually not too partial of the traditional hero who is for the just, brave, courageous etc etc. but the thing that makes me love Jon so much is the rest of the characters. All of the characters have the same base desires that every other common man has and sometimes succumbs to them and shows how normal/flawed they are and while Jon does not have a clean record in avoiding these desires it seems he tries hard to overcome these desires. Very cool story.

Some people think he has a "Boy Scout" type of story and he is Whinny and all that and I think Martin has done that so that in TWOW he could turn Jon into a different type of character. Maybe a darker and more complex character. I hope he doesn't because I love what Jon is doing now but those are just my thoughts.

Getting resurrected afterwards (or not dying at all) certainly is.

Not to mention his magic pet, magic powers, magic sword, secret (and best) claim to the Iron Throne, and status as the freaking in-universe messiah.

Seriously, I don't think anyone hates Jon

There are a considerable amount of us.

Not necessarily on Westeros.org, but on some message boards I frequent, it's quite the norm to dislike Jon.

I don't think that there are so many who hate Jon Snow. Like with all characters, some people might not like him or even hate him.

Those who dislike him, some think he is mary sue (incorrectly), others might not find him the most interesting character, or think what he has done is bad, or whatever, or maybe for a few there are fandom wars and some feel compelled to dislike him in comparison to liking other characters (like Catelyn) over Jon Snow. Or maybe while he isn't a mary sue, some might dislike him for being nearer that than other characters in their view. I I like Jon Snow, but I don't really find it surprising that some people don't like him. There are a lot of fans, some are bound to like or dislike anybody. For any kind of reasons. One isn't obligated to like any character of the books.

Getting resurrected afterwards (or not dying at all) certainly is.

Not to mention his magic pet, magic powers, magic sword, secret (and best) claim to the Iron Throne, and status as the freaking in-universe messiah.

Jon trains hard to use his sword, and still gets beat down by Mande. His magic pet doesn't save him when he gets stabbed in the back. His magic gift comes in handy once in the story. Also he's already rejected the option to be a lord once.

Yes, Jon has been handed some things, but he's also done a lot to earn respect.

Archived