What is more prestigious?

Couldn't it depend on the house/lord? Prince Dorah seems to consider Areo Hotah his trusted friend and they are constantly together. On the other hand, Catelyn names Rodrik Cassel as castellan. However, the captain of the gurad was not at Winterfell, so maybe she would have chosen Jory over Rodrik. I feel like it still would have been Rodrik, though, perhaps due to experience.

Just going from the Starks it looks like Master of Arms. Rodrik and Jory are from the same minor house. Rodrik the more senior and veteran one is the master of arms. He also gets to be Steward when Robb goes south.

Let's put this in terms of today's military. I see the master of arms as the Dean at West Point (trains recruits). And the Captain of the Guard as a five star general (commands the army). Which one do you see John Wayne playing in a movie?

That analogy isn't quite correct. The captain is less a general and more a chief of security.

Master of arms for a great house or Captain of the guard for a great house?

From my understanding Master of Arms is in charge of training the sons of nobility while Captain of the Guard is head of the local security force. I'd say Master at Arms. For example Aerys and Tywin argue who should be Master at Arms at the Red Keep. Aerys ends up appointing Willem Darry instead of Tywin's brother or cousin, I forget which. The leader of the Gold Cloaks seems to have been appointed by Littlefinger.

The Master at arms generally trains young nobles and thus interacts with them regularly. They have the chance to earn the confidence and trust of their lords. Practically every master at arms I recall is a knight of some sort. A captain of the guard is generally in charge of castle security. He does his job and as long as everything is alright, he probably doesn't have much to do with his bosses. Even the captain of the guard in the capital was a commoner in the case of Janos Slynt. So I'd say the Master at arms has more prestige and influence.

Archived