Would you rather be you in real life, or a high noble Lord in ASOIAF?

KingStannisFan

High lord in real life? Not an option, too bad.

It is very tough choice. I think I would manage to be high lord. Yeah somethings would be a bitch to get to use to but I think I would endure. Not that I am unhappy as I am or that I have some pleasures I am denied, but I would choose to be high lord only because I could choose not to work another day in my life, and I hate working, especially the "work every day" kind of job. 

Yeah some work would be necessary and social obligations would swallow the huge chunk of time, but I think my work/life balance would be a lot better. I would be free, I am not the man of appetites that can bankrupt the high lord, so I could do pretty much whatever all day long, just talking to people or traveling or drinking iced milk reclined on the parapets, without the care in the world, no job, no bills, no anything, servants tending to every need and treasury that fills itself with income from estates I could never hope to spend.

It can be an option if you upset the modern social structure

After reading in another thread that even the highborn only bath about once a year :ack: I'll stick with the nice clean life I have.

Where would anyone get the idea that the highborn only bathe once a year?  We know of baths in Harrenhall and WInterfell.  Arya gets thrown into a bath in Acorn hall (twice), Brienne orders up a bath in an inn.  Heck even Dany takes baths while traveling in a khalasar.

The one thing stopping me would be the boredom. I guess they have books, but not a proper variety of literature like we do. You'd get a bit bored of historical record books and fairy stories.

Actually the real life Middle Ages did have fiction books, they called them "Romances" in the Holy Roman Empire novels based on the Troian war (but reinterpreted from a Christian perspective) were popular and Sleeping Beauty found its beginning as a medieval novel called "Sun, Moon and Thalia" 

They weren't as complex as the novels we are used to today, but they definitely existed.

Where would anyone get the idea that the highborn only bathe once a year?  We know of baths in Harrenhall and WInterfell.  Arya gets thrown into a bath in Acorn hall (twice), Brienne orders up a bath in an inn.  Heck even Dany takes baths while traveling in a khalasar.

By generalizing from the entire population :cheers:

Archived