Theories on Symeon Star-Eyes?

I think Symeon was one of the hybrids (alloys) from the original Lightbringer "forging"- the one in which Azor Ahai quenched his "sword" in water, an Other.

Alternate: he was Night's Prince.

Interesting, I must admit I've never paid attention to any mention of Cold Hands eyes (seems like a prerequisite huh). I assumed they are cold blue because the whites' are. Guess I have some more reading to do. The Cleganes theory is interesting, but I'm not so convinced it's a slam dunk. When/how exactly did that family get that sigil? Imagine if another direwolf had red eyes like Jon's; one might describe that beast as such if he/she didn't know any better. Which (say it with me) means Jon Snow HAS TO come back... right? :)

• 1 month later...

I think, whatever Symeon was, we know very little - He was a Hero who lost his eyes and put Sapphires in them, which we assume allowed him to see.  He fought with a long double-bladed staff, handy for slicing and dicing many foes at once.  He is remembered as a good guy in the stories told to Westerosi children.  And he was at the Nightfort once upon a time and saw two hell hounds fighting.

For our immediate ASoIaF concerns, I think our Symeon is Jaime Lannister redeemed.  The new Jaime aims to be a hero, one who protects the children, keeps his oaths and has a new vision of himself that will someday lead to a few filled pages in the Kingsguard book of Kights.  The previous Jaime, the one who Rhaegar blames in dream for failing to protect the children, the Jaime who will commit atrocities for love of Cersei, could be said to be a blind man with no vision, no higher purpose but to love the evil queen Cersei.  Jaime's new eyes come to him in dream and hallucination on the road with Brienne of Tarth, the Sapphire Isle.  Sapphires!!  He screams at Vargo Hoat's men about to rape Brienne.  Hoat takes his hand immediately thereafter, and the old Jaime dies there.

Brienne and the shared oaths they have sworn to Catelyn Stark, and the growing affection for each other are intrinsically inter-twingled with the rise of the new Jaime.  It is only a matter of time before he takes up the other blade forged from Ned Stark's great sword Ice.  It's only a matter of time before Jaime and Brienne are united in purpose, defending Sansa, fulfilling oaths, doing heroic things and helping to save the world.  Symeon Star-Eyes reborn as Jaime Lannister with the Lady of the Sapphire Isles to be his guide and second blade.  I think that covers the poetry and clues GRRM has set forth - let me know what I might have missed.

Now to just get them up to the Nightfort, or to Castle Black, wherever along the wall the hell hounds will do battle.  Those hounds, of course, are the Clegane brothers - the Hound on the side of the living and the mountain on the side of the dead.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 1:27 PM, CJ McLannister said:

I've always assumed he never actually existed.

Same.

I always figured he was a moral story for children or, at best, a song to make young girls smile.

When I got my hands on a copy of The World of Ice and Fire, I think the first thing I went looking for was more info on the Age of Heroes, Brandon the Builder, Symeon et al.   There's  not much, and most of what is written is discounted by Maester Yandel as nothing more than tales the Northmen tell.  Pointless, really, save for some really great artwork. There must be some source material in Oldtown that Yandel could have researched for posterity, no?

The first impression I got is that he was a traveller. He is depicted as a knight, a tradition that was still at time alien to Westeros. Even if the andals didn't constructed the knight figure at that time, Symeon feels totally non-westerosi to me. He is not reported to having founded a House, nor any House claims to descend from him. Sounds like your everyday lone vigilante butt kicker.

40 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

The first impression I got is that he was a traveller. He is depicted as a knight, a tradition that was still at time alien to Westeros. Even if the andals didn't constructed the knight figure at that time, Symeon feels totally non-westerosi to me. He is not reported to having founded a House, nor any House claims to descend from him. Sounds like your everyday lone vigilante butt kicker.

An early version of Ser Duncan the Tall?  I like it!

Archived