[ADWD Spoilers] Friends in The Reach

In the first Jon Connington chapter Laswell Peake, an exile lord from the seven kingdoms, mentions that the golden company still has friends in the reach and that Mace Tyrell's hold on the reach is not as strong as he thinks. I was wondering who these friends could be? Significant houses (Tarly, Hightower, Rowan, Oakheart)?

Connington mentions that the names of the captains of the golden company were some of the greatest houses in the history of westeros;

1. Peake

2. Strong

3. Cole

4. Mudd

5. Lothston

6. Mandrake

Were any of these names mentioned earlier in series. And if so, can anyone tie them to the reach?

In the first Jon Connington chapter Laswell Peake, an exile lord from the seven kingdoms, mentions that the golden company still has friends in the reach and that Mace Tyrell's hold on the reach is not as strong as he thinks. I was wondering who these friends could be? Significant houses (Tarly, Hightower, Rowan, Oakheart)?

Connington mentions that the names of the captains of the golden company were some of the greatest houses in the history of westeros;

1. Peake

2. Strong

3. Cole

4. Mudd

5. Lothston

6. Mandrake

Were any of these names mentioned earlier in series. And if so, can anyone tie them to the reach?

The Peakes used to be strong in the Reach (three castles, until they fought for the Blackfyres and lost two, then probably lost the last one after the false tourney in The Mystery Knight.)

Lothston used to be the rulers of Harrenhall, with a very very bad reputation. The Lady of Harrenhall was said to be mad during the Blackfyre era.

Cole made me think of Criston Cole (the Kingmaker), but nothing known for certain

2. Strong

4. Mudd

The Strongs used to rule Harrenhal before the Lothstons. It seems they supported Rhaenyra in the Dance of the Dragons. Lord Strong was apparently Hand of the King, married to Rhaenyra and father of three sons with her who all perished in the fighting.

The Mudds of Oldstone were the last First Men who ruled as Kings over the Trident for a thousand years. We learn of Tristifer Mudd, the Hammer of Justice, who fought victoriously against Andal invaders in 99 battles before he was defeated by an alliance in the 100. His son was less able, so that the House became extinct.

The mention of House Mudd seemed weird; I thought they were extinct well before there could have been a Golden Company. But perhaps they survived, just much reduced, as Lords or Knights in the Riverlands until the Blackfyre era.

Anyway, there's a thread on here somewhere that presents some pretty good evidence that Lord Rowan is the supporter in the Reach, and possibly also Lady Oakheart or Lord Tarly, all of whom are pretty big deals.

Also, House Peake is still around, but Lord Peake's wife is a Lannister--not likely to back Aegon.

House Mandrake appears to have never been mentioned before.

The mention of House Mudd seemed weird; I thought they were extinct well before there could have been a Golden Company. But perhaps they survived, just much reduced, as Lords or Knights in the Riverlands until the Blackfyre era.

Well, Connington explains that "not all were genuine, he knew. In the free companies, a man could call himself whatever he chose".

The Peakes used to be strong in the Reach (three castles, until they fought for the Blackfyres and lost two, then probably lost the last one after the false tourney in The Mystery Knight.)

Lothston used to be the rulers of Harrenhall, with a very very bad reputation. The Lady of Harrenhall was said to be mad during the Blackfyre era.

Cole made me think of Criston Cole (the Kingmaker), but nothing known for certain

This is excellent. Thank you

The Strongs used to rule Harrenhal before the Lothstons. It seems they supported Rhaenyra in the Dance of the Dragons. Lord Strong was apparently Hand of the King, married to Rhaenyra and father of three sons with her who all perished in the fighting.

The Mudds of Oldstone were the last First Men who ruled as Kings over the Trident for a thousand years. We learn of Tristifer Mudd, the Hammer of Justice, who fought victoriously against Andal invaders in 99 battles before he was defeated by an alliance in the 100. His son was less able, so that the House became extinct.

Great stuff. Is this in one of GRRM's novels?

I've posted this elsewhere, but what about House Florent?

Since AGOT the Florents have been mentioned, at least in the appendix as the rivals to the Tyrells for the claim to Highgarden. They both claim the better link to house High Garden. At the end of AFFC the family was attainted and Brightwater Keep was taken from them and given to Garlan Tyrell.

Now, the Lord of House Florent, Alester, is dead, killed by Melisandre. His only brother, Axell is now queen Selyse's "hand" on the Wall. Selyse is also a Florent. The heir is Alester's only son Alekyne Florent who fled to Oldtown after being kicked out of Brightwater Keep. I suspect he will meet his cousin Samwell Tarly there.

Remember, Sam's mother is a Florent too. She is the heir, Alekyne's sister, so Sam is his nephew.

This also puts Randyll Tarly in an interesting position. He is clearly Mace Tyrell's best banner man but he is married to a Florent and the Florents cannot be happy about how they have been treated under the Lannister/Tyrell regime.

So I think the friends in the Reach are either the Florents or maybe Randyll Tarly. Either way I suspect dear Randy will be playing a big role in the next two books.

Since AGOT the Florents have been mentioned, at least in the appendix as the rivals to the Tyrells for the claim to Highgarden. They both claim the better link to house High Garden. At the end of AFFC the family was attainted and Brightwater Keep was taken from them and given to Garlan Tyrell.

Now, the Lord of House Florent, Alester, is dead, killed by Melisandre. His only brother, Axell is now queen Selyse's "hand" on the Wall. Selyse is also a Florent. The heir is Alester's only son Alekyne Florent who fled to Oldtown after being kicked out of Brightwater Keep. I suspect he will meet his cousin Samwell Tarly there.

Remember, Sam's mother is a Florent too. She is the heir, Alekyne's sister, so Sam is his cousin once removed.

This also puts Randyll Tarly in an interesting position. He is clearly Mace Tyrell's best banner man but he is married to a Florent and the Florents cannot be happy about how they have been treated under the Lannister/Tyrell regime.

So I think the friends in the Reach are either the Florents or maybe Randyll Tarly. Either way I suspect dear Randy will be playing a big role in the next two books.

I hope so. I don't know why, but I rather like Randyll Tarly.

Remember, Sam's mother is a Florent too. She is the heir, Alekyne's sister, so Sam is his cousin once removed.

Good point about Tarly. I have suspected that he may be in line to move up and rule the reach in the upcoming books. In the epilouge he seems to be purposely questioning and delaying any kind of action against Connington and Aegon.

Also being married to the Florents is even more reason to eventually turn.

Alekyne Florent is currently in the "custody" of Lord Hightower, so he wouldn't be plotting anything unless the Hightowers are.

And curiously, we haven't heard anything of Leyton Hightower's intentions. The Hightowers of Oldtown are wealthier than the Lannisters, and if Mace Tyrell is simply taking their loyalty for granted, he may be in for a rude surprise. I don't think so much would have been made of House Florent's standing if it weren't to come into play as some point. If Hightower back the Florent claim, that may be all that the house needs.

And curiously, we haven't heard anything of Leyton Hightower's intentions. The Hightowers of Oldtown are wealthier than the Lannisters, and if Mace Tyrell is simply taking their loyalty for granted, he may be in for a rude surprise.

Lord Hightower is Mace's father-in-law and the grandfather of his children. Any children of Margaery and Tommen would be great-grandchildren of him. For the moment I think the Hightowers won't fight against the Tyrells at least.

Lord Hightower is Mace's father-in-law and the grandfather of his children. Any children of Margaery and Tommen would be great-grandchildren of him. For the moment I think the Hightowers won't fight against the Tyrells at least.

and what if the tyrells are split in two?

Personally, I suspect the whole Reach will turn. Cersei has her ace in the whole for the trial, but Margery doesn't. If Mace tries to pardon her by royal decree, it simply will not work. This is the High Sparrow we're talking about. Margery is going to die, and Cersei will be Regent. Once she's back in power, she's going to completely antagonize the Tyrells until they decide to try and throw in their lot with a fourth king.

As for the specific friends, I have a sneaking suspicion it's the Hightowers. They're noted by Randyll Tarly as being the wealthiest house in Westeros, and yet its the Tarlys who are the real land military power in the Reach. Perhaps they allow that situation to come up because they know they can always buy some of the best armies, if the need arises? Regardless, we know they're going to play a big role in the next book, what with all the set-up in Feast.

Perhaps, if it turns out that Margery lives and the Hightowers are the only friends of the golden company, they might take Samwell hostage and use him to bring the Tarlies onto team Aegon?

maybe willas and garlan because they 're fed up with Mace's behavior.

I don't see any evidence that either of them disapproves of Mace.

Moreover, what about Loras? He is sworn to protect Tommen. Will they kill Loras because they "disapprove" of Mace?

Archived