Is Varys really a eunuch? (ADWD spoilers)

LiamBridge

Hi sorry if this is already a topic.

Anyway, I was rereading the epilogue of ADWD, and at the part just after Varys shoots Kevan, he notes that Varys voice is much deeper then normal. It got me wondering since Varys is always described as having a very soft voice, Could it be possible that Varys is in fact not a eunuch, but is really perfectly normal? Wouldn't it be an amazing twist that the one thing we thought we new about varys ( who is probably the most mysterious character in the books) was really a lie?

Now lets just say for a minute that he's not really a eunuch, then what does he have to gain from telling such a great lie? Also is there anyone else other then him who knows the truth?

Not to take an opinion on this theory, but the gain is that Westerosi society is prejudiced against eunuchs. Varys may be perceived as less threatening for being less than a whole man. He can get more done if people don't expect him to be as dangerous as he truly is.

It would be in keeping with the character if the one thing we thought we knew about him was not true. But weirdly, for some reason I hope he is actually a eunuch. Don't know why.

it's a real interesting idea... and i wouldn't put it past varys to be able to pull something like this off... he is described as having grown up around mummers... so maybe him being eunuch is all just a very convincing act... just another role he is playing...

BUT, what about that story he told to tyrion about when he was cut, and how his genitals were like sacrificed to some god, and him hearing a voice, which makes him dislike magic, etc... if he isn't really a eunuch, then does that mean that whole story is a lie? (maybe not... could be the whole story is true, but it didn't actually happen to him... maybe he saw this being done to some other boy, and just tells tyrion it was him... something like that i guess...)...

i don't know, but it's a def an interesting idea...

EDIT: "Also is there anyone else other then him who knows the truth?" the only person that comes to mind (if it is true) is illyrio...

If he claims to have been a eunuch since childhood,then no one would expect him to have children,if he really isn't one.

I notice he says "I am sorry" to Kevan.Does this mean he could be a Sorrowful Man or does it have to be "I'm so sorry" exactly?

Nothing Varys could do would surprise me.

But would it be possible that he would be able hide it if he were involved with anyone, or it is a non-issue because he enjoys playing the game and wants power and will go it alone.

Crap, that would be a lonely life.

Not sure how I feel about this. That would be one hell of a trick on everyone that knows him. That would be the most ultimate deception ever.

I just thought the deepening voice was to show that his whole soft voice and mannerism was an act to make him appear less threatening at court. We saw how rough the guy could look when not in his "spider outfit" when he visited Ned wearing mail with beard stubble and all that.

But damn did I overlook two very big things, If he had his balls cut off as a child, he would never have underwent puberty, so he would not be able effect a deep voice, nor could he grow facial hair. So either he knows how to work glamours and such or he still has the ammo pouches for his "rifle".

Even though it's an interesting thought, I doubt it. His castration story sounded legit.

Varys is just an excellent actor, and it's more probable that he plays at being a cliche eunuch for everyone's benefit. You see him go to great lengths to change his appearance throughout the books: for example, when he brings Tyrion to Chataya in ACoK, he doesn't only look like a sellsword, he smells like one - of sour wine and garlic.

I think the deeper voice is Varys' natural one: The overtly affectual manner in which he comported himself at court is probably facade all the way through. During his time in the black cells, Ned surmised that the Rugen look and mannerisms seemed to be Varys' "private face" and the delicate eunuch is his public face. Not that Ned was anywhere closer than anyone else at understanding Varys.

And with Kevan dying on the floor, Varys has little reason to play the eunuch part. His little birds probably well know this more rugged Varys, so they don't need to be played for either.

As for him being a eunuch, I believe there is at least a grain of truth to the story he told Tyrion. After being told the story, Tyrion notices a glint in Varys' eyes that indicate some deadly seriousness.

I hope to God that Varys gets the truly painful death he deserves for betraying The Ned/Imp

Did Varys really betray Ned though? He all but tells Ned that Jon Arryn "asked questions" and died for it. He tried to work out of a deal where Ned would go to the Wall. Littlefinger and Cersei and Joffrey are far more responsible for Ned's demise than Varys. Varys helps Tyrion quite a bit in Clash of Kings. He spoke against him in Storm of Swords in his trial, but what choice did he have? He helped Tyrion escape (with Jaime's, uh, nudging, to be fair) and showed him the way to Tywin's chambers.

Archived