12 replies to this topic

#1 spork

spork

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

In this episode Tyrion and the small council got the message from the Night's Watch by raven. Why didn't Ser Alliser Thorne appear and make the request in person? Doesn't seem like it would take more screen time, and he's already an established character. In fact, their interplay would have been great. He even got sent there by Mormont, as in the books, so it was kind of expected that he'd show up.

#2 spork

spork

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

/bump

#3 Early Earl

Early Earl

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

It would've taken time away from the more expensive actors. /dunno.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dunno:' />
I actually enjoyed that scene. Making a credible diaolgue with Thorne would have taken more time that they could now use to show us more pointless sex-scenes.
The only thing I missed was the rotten hand.

Edited by Early Earl, 16 April 2012 - 01:40 AM.

#4 spork

spork

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

It's just weird that in S1 Mormont sends a message via Thorne, but then in S2 that message is delivered by raven. I dislike the lack of continuity. And so do new viewers, according to the TWoP forum.

#5 Davos55

Davos55

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

He may still show up with the hand later on.

#6 Thendel

Thendel

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

In the books, Thorne doesn't appear before after Tyrion learns of Stannis taking the fight the Renly (he poisons Cersei while they celebrate the news, allowing him to seat himself on the Iron Throne).

#7 spork

spork

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

According to the Wiki, Thorne is presented around the same time as Robb's letter, and before Renly is slain. We've already seen Robb's peace terms, and instead of Thorne we got a raven. Maybe Owen Teale got busy with another project and couldn't make this season?

#8 Davos55

Davos55

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I am still hoping he will return. In the DVD commentary on season 1, one of the producers talked about his character, and they said they absolutely loved the way Teale played him and they looked forward to having more of him in the future!

#9 The Bastard of Bolton

The Bastard of Bolton

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I just thought he was making his trip the KL to show us his hand, get ignored and have nothing but bones to boast of.
It is weird how quickly Ros can get from Winterfell to KL and how long it takes to get from the Wall to KL. I don't let myself be bothered by these things.

#10 Davos55

Davos55

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

True, I still think he may show up though, or else why would he come back to the wall eventually? Will he just tell Jon he went there but came back because he got no help?
That is a possibility I guess.

#11 The Bastard of Bolton

The Bastard of Bolton

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

There is no way that HBO will pass up on the chance of Tyrion being a dick to Thorne again.
Although show Tyrion seems more conscientious of the dangers north of the wall...

#12 Davos55

Davos55

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

I couldn't really see Tyrion telling Thorne off on the show after the conversation he had with the council earlier. He seems pretty set on trying to help out the Night's Watch. He may not like Thorne a lot, but he is still a member of the Night's watch nonetheless.

Idk, maybe he will show up and Cersei will be a dick to him, that would certainly be in character.

#13 boojam

boojam

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:25 AM

In this episode Tyrion and the small council got the message from the Night's Watch by raven. Why didn't Ser Alliser Thorne appear and make the request in person? Doesn't seem like it would take more screen time, and he's already an established character. In fact, their interplay would have been great. He even got sent there by Mormont, as in the books, so it was kind of expected that he'd show up.

Owen Teale has been gone for so long now, I really wonder if he's off the show?
The character does show up in later books, but not in a big way... so it's a puzzle?