After Ice and Fire?

Kyle Baratheon

I second Abraham here. Just finished the first two books of the long price, definintely unique. Better than Martin.

You are utterly insane. Please tell me that this is some cruel jape.

What do you think about Hal Duncan, Gene Wolfe, Haruki Murakami, James Joyce or Gabriel Garcia Marquez? (Yes, I know your nickname comes from the Book of the New Sun)

I really ,liked Book of the New Sun on a reread, but I didn't like Long Sun nearly as much, and I was really bored by Wizard-Knight. I have read one book by Marquez, and I did not like it at all.

Wait, wait...someone made fun of Dune? WHAT?

Nah, he didn't make fun of it, but he made a funny comment about its fame. No need for violent reaction.

You are utterly insane. Please tell me that this is some cruel jape.

I'm not. While i'm not one to complain about retreading the same ground in fantasy, as long as its done creatively, Abraham's Long Price Quartet and now the Dagger and the Coin are nice step away from more of the same. While on the surface Dagger and Coin might fell like a retread, the charcters are certainly different, as is the back drop of the story.

Martin is great, don't ge me wrong. But after years of waiting, the complete shit that was AFFC, and knowing that i'll be waiting longer yet, i just don't care anymore. He is overhyped, to be honest, and while his story is strong, i am not inclined to really care anymore.

There are simply elements in both of Abraham's series that i enjoy more than Martin.

But if you go from Martin to Erikson, that's like a cruel joke. Paper thin characters, at best, coupled with a power gamers idea of cool.

I love both, but Martin to Erikson doesn't make any goddamn sense. The same when people reccomend Martin to Bakker. People seem to think if its fantasy it's all the same. Fuck, Abraham is another good example. Complete different then the three I just mentioned.

But if you go from Martin to Erikson, that's like a cruel joke. Paper thin characters, at best, coupled with a power gamers idea of KEWL.

You have to spell it with a 'K'.

If Erickson was a comic book writer, he would have been doing it in the 90's and Liefield would have been his artist.

I'm not. While i'm not one to complain about retreading the same ground in fantasy, as long as its done creatively, Abraham's Long Price Quartet and now the Dagger and the Coin are nice step away from more of the same. While on the surface Dagger and Coin might fell like a retread, the charcters are certainly different, as is the back drop of the story.

I may give D&C a try.

I didn't like Long Price as much as most of the fans around here did, but it was decent. I think that I somehow read it differently than most. I felt like most of the characters were similarly boring whereas it seems like characterization was one of the strong points in the minds of most readers.

Thanks for the feedback on Malazan, though. It probably can't hurt too much to give it a shot.

I got a sweet deal on eBay for the first 8 Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan (£15.99!) Opinion on this series?

I quit reading not even halfway thru the first book. Soooooo boring. I could not stand the thought of slogging through 13 more books like that. Bummer, because I really wanted to like it.

Malazan over Wheel of Time if you're older than 16. If you love descriptions, I mean, just fucking looove hundreds of pages with fuck all going on, with the main character of the entire series getting just 40 pgs of face time out of 1000 pgs, with bitches, bitches, bitches, then I'll say read WoT. If you want epic fantasy on steroids; Malazan.

Okay, I exaggerate, WoT books 1 - 6 were great. After that and over a decade of my life later, not so much. Haven't touched them since I was estranged in book 9 or so, and have since looked back on our relationship with a betrayed eye.

Edit: A good transition from ASoIaF to Malazan would be Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

Your descriptive insight is fascinating. I want to subscribe to your tumblr.

Read The Kingdoms of Thorne and Bone series by Greg Keyes and The Sword and Shadows series by J.V. Jones. I have my gripes with later books in both series, but certainly none bigger than the gripes I have with the Wheel of Time series post-book 4. Give the first books a shot anyway; The Briar King in particular was the closest I've come to replicating that sense of anticipation for the next book in a series that I got with ASoIaF.

I also highly recommend Guy Gavrial Kay. He's the best author I can think of at telling epic fantasy tales in a single volume.

I'm new here and have made no recommendations short of Malazan so I'll do so here, though I'm sure nearly each of these has been recommended before in the stickies. These aren't necessarily the best but are the best of what I've read.

If you want fantasy-lite: Anything and everything by Guy Gavriel Kay

Fantasy-heavy: Malazan, Acts of Caine, Stormlight Archives, Coldfire trilogy, Deathgate Cycle (I know, not the best but I hold fond memories of it)

Fantasy medium: Dagger and Coin, A Land Fit for Heroes, Long Price Quartet, Lies of Locke Lemora, Wheel of Time, Bakker, Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Lawrence, and Kearney

Fantasy different: Anything and everything by China Mieville, Felix Gilman, Nick Harkaway, Neil Gaiman (well, not everything by Gaiman but most)

Literary Fantasy: Peake, Valente, Wolfe, Vandermeer (these also rank in fantasy weird but their works are less about the story and more about the words used to tell it, though Wolfe, less so)

Urban Fantasy: Kate Griffin, Jim Butcher, Mike Carey, Glen Cook's Garret P.I. - though this one is more fantasy less urban

Fantasy Funny: Pratchett and Moore (though I'm not sure Moore is really classified as fantasy)

Sci-fi: Banks, Reynolds, Corey (Abraham), Simmons, Morgan, Watts, Asher, Hamilton and, of course, Dune.

Whoah, great post. Thanks for this.

Archived