Rereading Tyrion

Lummel

I'm joining the re-read a little late, but I'm really impressed with the thoughtful posts here.

For my own contribution on this chapter, I'm going to swipe an insight from TrackerNeil. Tywin is established in this chapter as somebody who does not suffer mockery from anybody. The fool who said that Tywin Lannister shits gold wound up either tortured or killed, and later we'll see Tywin reacted very strongly when Joffrey or one of Aerys' small council insults him. Compared to that, the fact that he stands for Tyrion's casual suggestion that Tywin is an oathbreaker ("he has already changed sides twice in the short time I've known him, you and he ought to get on famously") and in fact responds with similar insults ("Do you think you might be able to deal with [beric and Thoros] as you scamper off? Without making too much a botch of it?") is really striking. I think Tywin has basically decided that it doesn't matter because Tyrion will basically do as ordered regardless, and with that in mind acting upset at Tyrion's various sallies would be a sign of weakness that he can't permit. And it's one of the reasons why Tyrion speaks without thinking so much of the time--because for most of his life, he could get away with it.

Re: Tyrion on the wildings, it strikes me that to a degree, Tyrion is right. Not about the wisdom of letting women speak their minds, of course. Tyrion, besides revealing his class-based preference for people who will do as he says, is expressing an idea about what exactly feudalism a la Westeros is good for. (Beyond just putting money in the pockets of guys like Tywin or protecting various noble sociopaths like Gregor Clegane and Ramsay Snow, I mean.) In our first introduction to the mountain clans, they fall to a numerically inferior force, losing nine people to three on Catelyn's side. They have lousy weapons, and even those are stolen. They haven't posed a real threat to the Vale in hundreds of years. Because of their lack of discipline and social cohesion, they eke out a marginal existence in inhospitable lands that nobody else seems to want. The Seven Kingdoms are brutal and unjust in a lot of ways, but it's a stronger system than the alternatives and ultimately destined to supplant them. Leaf expresses a similar sentiment in ADWD.

Instead I choose to blindly embrace the theory that their missing renaissance is the result of failing to have their collective asses kicked by Mance Rayder.

Forget metal discipline. Ass kicking by Mance is the eightfold one true path of enlightnenment. sigh. I would totally become religious if this were a real thing.

Welcome Harry the Heir!

Thanks for raising Tywin's mysterious tolerance for Tyrion in Tyrion VII, possibly this was just his way of of sowing he was glad to see him? I think there are future occasions when Tywin has far less tolerance for Tyrion so I'm not sure if what we see here is altogether typical.

Tyrion and Tywin are alike, maybe that's reflected here too, possibly too a son with a plan that requires armaments for three thousand is a son that he can approve of even if he is beating about the bush. Tyrion's wish to devastate the Vale is I think inspired by Tyrion's devastation of the Reynes and Tarbucks.

The clansmen are interesting in that they are clearly the same type as the Wildlings but aren't played in the same way. Aside from Shagga they are rather worthy, honest and trustworthy if inclined to casual murder by westerosi standards - noble savages perhaps?

This differs a lot from my interpretation. We see already on the way up to the Eyrie that for Tyrion the Lannister, the men at arms and the sellswords, or Marillion, they don't count. He's ok with being outplayed by Cat, a woman of his own rank, but he has nothing but contempt and wishes of violence when it comes to the commoners or the people of lower birth. He shows the same disdain here for Marsha Heddle: she's only an innkeep, she doesn't concern Tyrion the Lannister or mighty Tywin. Her death is a paranthesis at best. It means nothing to Tyrion.

Sansa gets a lot of flak for displaying class consciousness in AGOT and for criticising Arya's choice of friends, but Tyrion here has the same class consciousness, if not worse, since he treats people of lower social standing quite callously and without empathy.

This differs from how someone like Ned Stark treated people of lower standing. We learn quite early on that Ned "cycled" through his staff and had blacksmiths, the castellan etc at his table in Winterfell and listened to them all in turn. He also took the commoners' complaints seriously when Gregor was burning the countryside and sent out Beric and Thoros (who are namedropped in this last chapter as annoyances Tywin needs to deal with). I doubt Tywin does anything similar since his reign is based on a different foundation: on fear.

EDIT: I might add here that in a way, this seems like an internalising of Tywin's lesson with Tysha: a Lannister is worth more than others. I don't believe Tyrion is without empathy, but for various reasons, many of them listed in posts above, he seems to sometimes have a hard time applying it.

If he feels that he's worth more, how comes that every real human relationship that he has is with somebody that comes from the smallfolk?

He falls in love with Tysha, and then with Shae. He feels true friendship for Bronn (maybe it's not the other way round, but I think that Tyrions considers him the closest thing to a friend. GRRM made it explicit in his screenplay of the Blackwaters, that whole speech about being friends despite the work relationship between them. I don't think it was random of him).

Jon is a bastard and has no title: by all means, in Westeros he's one of the smallfolk.

What seems to be Tyrion's only ally at court is Varys, who wasn't born a Lord and has this title only because of his role as Master of Whispers.

The mere fact that he argues and fights with Marillion or Mord implies that he compares himself directly with them.

Ned plays the "good father", even in a condescending way, with the smallfolk, but Tyrion (and Arya too TBH) seems to be the one who's actually prone to truly mingle with them.

I think that Tyrion is sort of numbed at all the violence around him, especially the one perpetrated by his father. Let's not forget that Tywin is Gregor Clegane's employer, and it's surely not the first time that Tyrion witnesses this kind of injustice.

Now he's making what he always does when he's in discomfort: cracks a joke. Again, he armours himself in his dark humour, it's a defence mechanism.

If he allowed himself to empathize with all of Tywin's victims he probably would be a sobbing mess for most of his life.

Possibly but the use of the word "reproach" to describe how Tyrion addresses her suggests that there is more to it than just numbness. It implies that he was blaming her in his thoughts for some reason. Why is she to blame for her demise?

Oh Natalie_S The Ned condescending - that's harsh! Not sure there is any suggestion of that in the books. (I've got to stick up for The Ned here :) )

Not sure that Tyrion is quite the mingler you describe, we saw in Tyrion IV that he's really very aware of the difference between himself and the lower orders.

Elba - if in Tyrion's opinion Tysha is to blame that would fit in with his opinion on seeing Masha Heddle hanging by her inn.

I read the ' reproach' as a reproach directed at what his father did.

What makes you say that? I read the reproach as tied to the "All I asked for was ..." comment as if only if she had given him these simple things she would alive today. I tend to be fairly Tyrion sympathetic, but I would be at a loss to defend this if I had to. Is there some other context that sheds light on this scene that you see?

Possibly but the use of the word "reproach" to describe how Tyrion addresses her suggests that there is more to it than just numbness. It implies that he was blaming her in his thoughts for some reason. Why is she to blame for her demise?

I think it was just a dark joke. He pretends to talk with Masha's corpse, I don't think we should take very seriously or literally what he's saying.

We've already seen that he protects himself with his humour everytime he's feeling uneasy (he will do the very same a few lines later, with Tywin), and I think that's what he does here too.

What makes you say that? I read the reproach as tied to the "All I asked for was ..." comment as if only if she had given him these simple things she would alive today. I tend to be fairly Tyrion sympathetic, but I would be at a loss to defend this if I had to. Is there some other context that sheds light on this scene that you see?

It was as I read it. Tyrion notices the hanged innkeep. I read the sigh of reproach as not blaming her.

I see Tyrion as extremely grey, stuck in anger, so I'm not condoning the awful things we see him doing.

But in this scene as I have read it, I think he is reminded of what happened to him in her inn, but that he is not happy with that his father hanged her for this.

The 'sigh' to me did not seem to be a contented sigh, but a sad one.

I'm not sensing the numbness either:

I don't see how that makes Tyrion less numb. I think in context "a pity" is pretty facetious, but at most it shows that Tyrion cares more about having good ale than about a woman's life. Besides, there are plenty of examples of Tyrion being callous still to come, so it would be good to return to this when we cover, say, Tyrion first learning about the atrocities in the riverlands.

I don't see how that makes Tyrion less numb. I think in context "a pity" is pretty facetious, but at most it shows that Tyrion cares more about having good ale than about a woman's life. Besides, there are plenty of examples of Tyrion being callous still to come, so it would be good to return to this when we cover, say, Tyrion first learning about the atrocities in the riverlands.

Tyrion notes the entire town was burned to the ground. The only building standing is the inn and the innkeeper and probably every resident is dead by Tywin's orders. The only crime that can be attributed to these people is living near the sight of a Lannister abduction. This is Tyrion coming full circle back to the starting point of his abduction journey. He has no thoughts or reflections regarding the slaughter of these innocent people beyond "If only you gave me what I wanted" and "dead women make no ale." It is just not one of his finer moments. His later moments show more empathy and compassion for the suffering and welfare of innocents, but at this point he seems to be fully embracing his inner Tywin.

This is one of the atrocities in the Riverlands. We need to look and see what changes for Tyrion to cause him to have a different outlook as the story proceeds (which as you accurately point out he does.) In this chapter he really lacks any concern for House Lannister's arbitrary destruction other than wanting to focus it on the Vale rather than attacking Northmen.

Tyrion VIII

Overview

The Lannister host is marching to meet the Northern forces and has stopped to set up camp for the evening. The chapter opens with a view of the dinner table and Tyrion arriving late. Tyrion and his father continue their banter from last chapter as if uninterrupted and the conversation centers around the upcoming battle. Tyrion learns to his distress and dismay that his father is placing him in the vanguard. After more banter Tyrion says that if there is no more suitable command he will lead the vanguard. Tywin informs him that he is not in fact being given a command but will be serving under Gregor Clegane. Tyrion becomes angry, spits out his food without swallowing a bite, and excuses himself from the table.

Tyrion wanders through the camp back to his own tent. The Stone Crows invite him to share in their ox, but it isn't nearly cooked and Bronn has already finished eating his trout so Tyrion remains hungry. We get a glimpse of Podrick Payne for the first time. Bronn has acquired Tyrion some "companionship" per his instructions and we are introduced to Shae for the first time as well. Tyrion and Shae establish the terms of their "relationship" and then promptly have sex. Afterwards Tyrion gets more details from Bronn and discovers she was taken from some other knight or lord. Tyrion expresses concern about having made a potential enemy. He returns to Shae where for the second time in the book Tyrion is referred to as a giant. They fall asleep and awaken to the sound of trumpets. The Northmen stole a march during the night and are attacking earlier than expected.

Tyrion surveys the battlefield assessing things including his own fears. His task is to hold the riverbank so they do not get outflanked. He realizes that he seems to be among the soldiers destined to be sacrificial fodder. As they ride to face the Northern army his clansmen pick up the battle cry of "Halfman" and outpace him leaving him to lead from behind which bears great resemblance to being a spectator. He fights one man who is knocked down and is then engaged by a knight. He is wounded and knocked off his horse and the knight challenges him to "yield." Tyrion wants to but is disoriented and tries to stand accidentally thrusting the spike on his helm into the underbelly of the knight's horse. The knight is thrown and trapped under his horse as Bronn returns to his side. The Northmen retreat and Tyrion goes alone to confront his father about his sacrificial placement in the vanguard. During their hostile exchange Ser Addam Marbrand rides up to inform them that Robb crossed at the Twins and is moving to engage Jaime.

Observations

Is Tywin just that ostentatious or is he not taking this war very seriously?

a long trestle table of rough-hewn pine had been erected beneath an elm tree and covered with a golden cloth.

five suckling pigs, skin seared and crackling, a different fruit in every mouth

Tyrion reached a thumb and forefinger into the salt dish, and sprinkled a healthy pinch over his meat

watched a serving man carve into the pig.

his father reported as his trencher was filled with slices of pork

He brings servants to cut his pork and put it in a trencher for him during a battle march. They talk of "below the salt" at weddings and here Tywin has it at battlefields too. (though in this series fewer people die at battles) He makes his men cut down trees and make a table for him that's covered in a golden cloth. Who brings a golden tablecloth with him to war? Are they slaughtering geese to make a mattress for him every night too? For those who participated in the Jon/Dany reread this a just a strikingly different example of "trappings of power" compared to the North.

The meal is five suckling pigs each with a different fruit in its mouth. Foreshadowing the War of the Five Kings?

“When soldiers lack discipline, the fault lies with their lord commander,” his father said.

So what's Tywin's philosophy on children lacking discipline?

No one looked at him. No one spoke to him. No one paid him any mind. He was surrounded by men sworn to House Lannister, a vast host twenty thousand strong, and yet he was alone.

Quite the difference to the welcome he initially received.

Her mouth tasted of honey and cloves, and her fingers were deft and practiced as they found the fastenings of his clothes.

Littlefinger is repeatedly said to smell of mint and cloves. I wonder if there's a connection. This is clearly not Shae's first experience.

Did he think to take them unawares while they slept? Small chance of that; whatever else might be said of him, Tywin Lannister was no man’s fool.

The Greatjon says that won’t matter if we catch him with his breeches down, but it seems to me that a man who has fought as many battles as Tywin Lannister won’t be so easily surprised.

Tyrion and Robb seem to think alike.

Lord Tywin almost always chose to command the reserve; he would take the high ground and watch the battle unfold below him, committing his forces when and where they were needed most.

Not that there is no military value or importance to the reserve, but it is also the "let everyone else do the lion share of the work while I take the greatest portion of the glory" position. It is exactly what he did during the rebellion as well.

We receive quite the lengthy description of Tywin's armor. I was reminded of the contrast to the Northern choice of plain and functional given the approaching foe; however, the other description of armor we're given as he surveys the Lannister forces is Gregor.

Even from afar, his lord father was resplendent. Tywin Lannister’s battle armor put his son Jaime’s gilded suit to shame. <snip very long description>

Clegane had no splendor about him; his armor was steel plate, dull grey, scarred by hard use and showing neither sigil nor ornament.

Intentional? Is there some Tywin/Gregor compare and contrast being made here.

Analysis

Lannister Family Values

Tywin is relentless in his criticism of Tyrion and frequently uses Jaime as a point of comparison. In most family dynamics like this Tyrion would grow to hate Jaime for this fact alone. The question was raised earlier about the source of the animosity between Tyrion and Cersei. I suspect Tywin had a similar role there if there was ever hope of affection between the two. We know that there is in fact no satisfying Tywin. Last chapter he informed Tyrion that Jaime was heaping glory onto himself. Here he says:

“Does the thought of facing the Stark boy unman you, Tyrion? Your brother Jaime would be eager to come to grips with him.”

Lord Tywin studied his dwarf son. “I said nothing about command. You will serve under Ser Gregor.”

Not only is it not possible for Tyrion to actually achieve any real glory serving under Clegane, Tywin has already set him up to fail by design. Aside from the vanguard being the most dangerous assignment in general, Tywin's plans for them to break and break hard. He is placing Tyrion in a position where he will be defeated in battle-- the whole plan really is for the Stark boy to unman Tyrion. For Tyrion's part he was actually willing to stomach accepting command of the vanguard even thinking he was going to die if that's what it took to please his father. He only leaves the table when he's put in a position to die with no chance of pleasing Tywin.

We're beginning to get a picture of what growing up with Tywin must have been like. Tyrion can't even walk in the same room with Tywin without feeling humiliated. Tyrion was fully embracing, even relishing, the use of Lannister power last chapter, but by the end of this one he's conflicted again. He wants to laugh at the Stark victory.

Food

We have the failed food symbolism again. He never actually shares a meal with his father. He gets as far as putting it in his mouth but spits it out in anger. He leaves to the sound of mocking laughter behind him. The Stone Crows offer to share their ox with him. This notion of sharing food has been positive in the past but the meal isn't actually cooked yet. He leaves the Stone Crows with laughter behind him as well but this isn't directed at him and he was welcome to participate in it. Bronn's meal of trout is already eaten-- it is too late to share a meal in friendship here.

Shae

The first thing that struck me here regarding Shae was Bronn finding her. Lannisters get served food on battlefields and don't even pick their own hookers. Seriously? Tyrion's concern that he may have made an enemy by stealing Shae is very unLannister-like (though pragmatically wise.) Is it rumors or gossip from Bronn's taking her here that reaches Tywin's ear or is he having Tyrion watched? The new serving men assigned to him are Tywin's spies maybe? Also when did Tywin "choose" Shae. Did he order her left behind intending to "steal" her from Tyrion? (probably a next chapter question)

At this point Tyrion believes Tysha really was a whore. What he is doing with Shae here is actually hiring a Tysha replacement. He is attempting to recreate the "love" he felt then through Lannister values (after all he thinks Tysha was bought initially) but be honest about it this time.

“What would please me would be the truth of you, girl.”

"but I’ll want more from you than what you’ve got between your legs, though I’ll want that too."

That much truth he did not crave.

He whistles Tysha's song. Even this stands out compared to the way various other camp followers we see treated

When her eyes were closed and her breathing deep and steady, Tyrion slid out from beneath her, gently, so as not to disturb her sleep.

It is deluded and pathetic, but also rather sad. The sadness is accentuated by his fear of death making him want to remember Tysha given that he's risking death to please the father who played such a role in destroying Tysha and his feelings to begin with.

Another aspect that struck me was this

It had been nigh on a year since he’d lain with a woman, since before he had set out for Winterfell in company with his brother and King Robert.

With the HBO series and given Tyrion's frequent comments about whores it is easy to forget this.

So Shae is the only woman Tyrion sleeps with during the books while in Westeros. He and Jaime both have these rather bizarre fidelity issues in unorthodox love relationships.

Aftermath

Riding into battle with Bronn and the clansmen, especially getting wounded in battle, has probably earned their respect. He made them his men in a way they were not before.

Again, was Tywin correct about anything here?

Make a note of this line for the following chapter when he declares Tyrion "his son."

I am not inclined to trust my plans to a man who consorts with sellswords and savages.

This from the man who relishes Lorch and Gregor and hires the Bloody Mummers.

I think for the first time in all the exchanges we see between the two, Tyrion puts Tywin on the defensive with his accusations regarding the battle.

A green boy, Tyrion remembered, more like to be brave than wise. He would have laughed, if he hadn’t hurt so much.

He may not be betting against his family yet, but he doesn't seem to be exactly betting on them either.

Littlefinger is repeatedly said to smell of mint and cloves. I wonder if there's a connection. This is clearly not Shae's first experience.

I haven't reread the chapter yet, but according to a book I just found on Google Books (Food In Medieval Times by Melitta Weiss Adamson), cloves were recommended by medieval physicians as a breath freshener. Shae herself couldn't have afforded them, I imagine, so presumably that's Lannister cloves she had.

It was as I read it. Tyrion notices the hanged innkeep. I read the sigh of reproach as not blaming her.

I see Tyrion as extremely grey, stuck in anger, so I'm not condoning the awful things we see him doing.

But in this scene as I have read it, I think he is reminded of what happened to him in her inn, but that he is not happy with that his father hanged her for this.

The 'sigh' to me did not seem to be a contented sigh, but a sad one.

That's pretty much the same way I interpreted it.

I think it's impossible to him to think "I'm sorry my father hanged the innkeeper because she didn't have any blame, and was just a victim of the circumstances", because he had to become callous otherwise he'd hardly have survived in Westeros without becoming insame or perpetually depressed.

So, the maximum empathy he can allow himself is cracking a dark joke that, reading between the lines, actually sounds almost like an apology: he just wanted to have a meal and a bed, and didn't mean to hurt any of them. But he can't say it straight: he needs to hide the apology pretending to reproach a rotting corpse.

Later, he again seems to think that it's a pity that they hanged her because she made good beer: and that's already a second regret about Masha. He wants to be indifferent, but that's already the second mention that we have of the innocent victim, much more than any other character does.

Thanks Ragnorak! (It's a pain not having a like button)

Briefly on the business of eating...the word companion comes from com+panis = with bread, it's the person you share your bread with, it gives us companionable and company. Here we see Tyrion first as part of the company at Tywin's table until he releases what his part will be in the upcoming battle. This is so distasteful to him that he can't eat and leaves their company, nor can he find a place with the clans or with his servants. This underlines what Natalie_S was saying about Tyrion being an outsider. Here he is literally looking for his peer group and not finding it.

Tywin is part of the Melisandre school of leadership as display. Gregor's armour is for protecting him in battle. Tywin's armour is there to show everybody that he is the Lord. The extravagent display of eating is also about acting the Lord. It is power as theatre.

The plain style of Jon was appropriate for the Watch where all men are brothers and one man is elected to lead the rest. Tywin's style is appropriate for wha he is trying to do - impress upon the lords of Westerlands (some of whom we know haven't always respected the power of Casterly Rock) the might and wealth of House Lannister. There is a more practical meaning too, it's said in one of the chronicles that during the battle of Hastings that a rumour went through the Norman army that Duke William was wounded and he had to calm his army by taking off his helmet and riding up and down the ranks showing his men his face - no one would make that mistake with Tywin. Everybody can see the great golden lion of the west ready to leap on the enemy and devour them.

Great post Ragnorak!

Tyrion arrived late, saddlesore, and sour, all too vividly aware of how amusing he must look as he waddled up the slope to his father. The day’s march had been long and tiring. He thought he might get quite drunk tonight.

Tyrion is not a drunkard (I think he gets properly drunk as to lose control of his actions only in Essos), but we see that his relationship with alcohol is closely linked to moments of sadness or discomfort: he resolves to get drunk anytime he's in a situation that he feels unbearable (his own wedding, Joffrey's wedding, his depression post the killings etc).

Ser Kevan leaned forward. “We had a thought to put you and your wildlings in the vanguard when we come to battle.”

Tywin doesn't even communicate this to Tyrion himself but it's Kevan that must do it.

The distance between father and son is even more underlined by this.

His brother Jaime had always been able to make men follow him eagerly, and die for him if need be. Tyrion lacked that gift. He bought loyalty with gold, and compelled obedience with his name.

I think that Tyrion lacks this gift, because he's the one that doesn't believe that people would die for him in the first place. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. In the Battle of Blackwaters, when he almost lets got of every rational and self-preservating thoughts, we see that people follow him and are inflamed by his words. I don't think Tyrion lacks charysma of "that gift", he just doesn't believe in it.

Lord Tywin Lannister turned to his brother. “If my son’s men will not obey his commands, perhaps the vanguard is not the place for him. No doubt he would be more comfortable in the rear, guarding our baggage train.”

“Do me no kindnesses, Father,” he said angrily. “If you have no other command to offer me, I’ll lead your van.”

As Ragnorak pointed out, Tyrion is wiling to risk his life not to disappoint Tywin, albeit knowing that everything he does disappoints him. It's quite tragic.

As to Shae, apparently it's not that strange that Tyrion doesn't choose himself his lovers, he mentions that his squire/servant/"body servant" (?) Jyck used to do it.

"Be certain that you tell her who I am, and warn her of what I am.” Jyck had not always troubled to do that. There was a look the girls got in their eyes sometimes when they first beheld the lordling they’d been hired to pleasure . . . a took that Tyrion Lannister did not ever care to see again.

The "look of revulsion" in women's eyes is something that apparently wounds Tyrion everytime (see ASOS and ADWD).

“I am a Lannister. Gold I have in plenty, and you’ll find me generous . . . but I’ll want more from you than what you’ve got between your legs, though I’ll want that too. You’ll share my tent, pour my wine, laugh at my jests, rub the ache from my legs after each day’s ride . . . and whether I keep you a day or a year, for so long as we are together you will take no other men into your bed.”

Apparently for Tyrion, sex is never "just sex". Whores are what he buys to replace an actual human contact, with the delusion that he can recreate what he experienced with Tysha, which was simply love. In a way, Tyrion is more similar to the Unsullied that paid whores to hug them, than to the lustful Robert Baratheon. He still thinks that Tysha was a prostitute, so he thinks that the illusion of love is part of the "whore experience". It will take 5 books and a trip to Essos for him to find out the difference.

He could feel the softness of her breasts pressed against his arm as she lay beside him. That was a good feeling.

Tyrion is totally a spooner :)

Tyrion put down the candle, took her hand in his, and pulled her gently to him.

He had needed her, Tyrion realized afterward, as she lay quietly in his arms.

Softly, quietly, he began to whistle.

Tyrion slid out from beneath her, gently, so as not to disturb her sleep.

Considering that we're reading a scene about a mercenary intercourse, there's a lot of stress about the delicacy, even sweetness, of the moment.

Tyrion limped closer to where he sat. “My lord father would call that insolence, and send you to the mines for impertinence.”

“Good for me you’re not your father,” Bronn replied.

Another example of how Tyrion always compares his actions to his god-like ever judging father but ends up behaving in a different way. I think that will be a very important theme also in the next books.

He asked her about the man Bronn had taken her from, and she named the minor retainer of an insignificant lordling. “You need not fear his like, m’lord,” the girl said, her fingers busy at his cock. “He is a small man.”

“And what am I, pray?” Tyrion asked her. “A giant?”

“Oh, yes,” she purred, “my giant of Lannister.” She mounted him then, and for a time, she almost made him believe it. Tyrion went to sleep smiling . . .

This is when the later infamous nickname comes up for the first time.

Between the lines, we can start to see the ambivalence that will define his emotions towards Shae until the end: "she almost made him believe it". A part of Tyrion wants to let go and lose himself in the illusion, the other part is very well aware of reality.

Shae helped Pod with the buckles and clasps. “If I die, weep for me,” Tyrion told the whore.

“How will you know? You’ll be dead.”

“I’ll know.”

It's quite sad that he thinks that the only person that might actually mourn him is one that he's literally just met.

Shae stepped back and looked him over. “M’lord looks fearsome.”

“M’lord looks a dwarf in mismatched armor,” Tyrion answered sourly, “but I thank you for the kindness. Podrick, should the battle go against us, see the lady safely home.” He saluted her with his axe, wheeled his horse about, and trotted off.

That looks like the parody version of a chivalrous tale. Ironically, Tyrion behaves like a knight but his lady is strictly speaking not a lady, or a maiden, and he looks nothing like a beautiful fierce warrior.

Tyrion wondered whether this was the last sunrise he would ever see . . . and whether wondering was a mark of cowardice. Did his brother Jaime ever contemplate death before a battle?

Everytime Tyrion finds himself in a battle, he thinks of Jaime and compares himself to him.

Lord Tywin drained his cup, his face expressionless. “I put the least disciplined men on the left, yes. I anticipated that they would break. Robb Stark is a green boy, more like to be brave than wise. I’d hoped that if he saw our left collapse, he might plunge into the gap, eager for a rout. Once he was fully committed, Ser Kevan’s pikes would wheel and take him in the flank, driving him into the river while I brought up the reserve.”

“And you thought it best to place me in the midst of this carnage, yet keep me ignorant of your plans.”

“A feigned rout is less convincing,” his father said, “and I am not inclined to trust my plans to a man who consorts with sellswords and savages.”

So basically Tywin is saying that he was ready to sacrifice his son, putting him, as his first battle, at the head of a vanguard that was supposed to be brutally slaughtered. Dad of the year!

Ragnorak, your essay was great.

Thank you for emphazising that part about the fidelity issues. HBO has done the complexity (and twistedness) of Tyrion's emotional life no favour by presenting him as the happy whoremonger the way they did. I think those jokes about "the whores going begging" or "the taste of Dornish girls" are the bragging of the ugly boy who never gets the girl if he does not pay, the men's talk girls imagine when boys meet at a pub. Three quarters is just talk, to make him feel bigger. Tyrion seems to be quite shy with women still if he can't wave his coins, somethIng that would never work with women in a higher social position. He may virtually never have any closer contact as in exchanging friendly conversation or happy chat with women of his age and social class.

Sorry for contributing so little, I am in holidays, no internet most of the time. This makes me miss the like button even more.

Edit: And thank you, Natalie

...Sorry for contributing so little, I am in holidays, no internet most of the time...

That's ok, it gives us something to look forward to :)

And now I will be Devil's Advocate for a post and ask what else could Tywin done with Tyrion and his clansmen? The clansmen are poorly armed, not used to modern warfare and can be beaten off as we saw in Tyrion IV by determined and capable resistence - they are no shock troops. But to remove Tyrion from leading them would humilate Tyrion and they have made it clear that their bond is with Tyrion.

Would it have been reasonable to give command of the van to Tyrion whose battle experience to date consists of one skirmish in the mountains of the moon? On the other hand Gregor Clegane is a veteran of Robert's rebellion and a reknowned fighter.

Of course should the van collapse there would be some risk to Tyrion, but then this kind of sharp lesson is useful in war - if only Jaime had learnt such early on then perhaps Whispering Wood could have been avoided!

/diabolical advocacy

The Tyrion-Bronn exchange parallels the Tywin-Tyrion exchange in Tyrion VII with the senior tolerating the insolence of the junior.

Archived