Melisandre's glamur (NOT about fingerbones)

Lady Winter Rose

I've also seen it thrown around on here that Quaithe is actually Shiera under the mask... Does Dany ever describe Quaithe's eyes? I think just brown. If she is mel at least she glamoured the mismatched eyes huh? IDK if Mel was an important somebody like that seems we would've gotten a hint in the POV. The "Melony" "Lot 7" seems to me to be "echoes" of her former life (ie being sold to red temple) similar to Lord Beric remembering some things about his life but not some important details like his new bride's face.

I definitely think the necklace is responsible for her youthful appearance because we never see her without it. It was burning the hell out of her and she still wouldn't take it off because she didn't want people to see her for what she really is. I don't think the necklace keeps her alive though. Moqorro doesn't need one and he survived for some ten days in the open sea without food or water.

Also, I got the impression that Melisandre does still need to sleep a little. If it were up to her she wouldn't sleep at all but she still does sometimes presumably because she has to; when she finally does sleep she is unable to control the dreams she has just like a normal person. Plus, while she may not need food, she can eat it and presumably has bodily functions like any one else.To me this stuff suggests that she's still alive in some way. I wonder if UnCat ever eats or sleeps or has nightmares?

Maybe dying and being brought back by the Lord of Light is something that every fire priest and priestess has to go through before they officially become one? OTOH if this keeps them protected from dying why is Melisandre always on the look out for potential assassins? She seems to be under the impression that she can be killed so she's always checking to make sure that her life isn't in danger. That doesn't sound like somebody who thinks that they're a member of the living dead.

Actually I won't be surprised if we find out that she's the oldest character in the series that we've met so far.

I'm curious as to what she knows about Rhaegar. I wonder if she ever heard that he thought his son would be the PWP.

I also wonder if she knows anything about what Moqorro is up to or that they're trying to get Daenerys to embrace the Lord of Light. I wonder if Dany is even on her radar at this point. You'd think she would be by now with all of the rumours floating around.

It's amazing to me that as suspicious of everyone as Selyse seems to be she seems to have no fear of Melisandre ever threatening her place. I don't think Mel aspires to marry Stannis exactly but I do think she'll want Selyse out of the picture some time soon. Then she'll have an easier time of sacrificing Shireen. IMO that poor girl's days are numbered--we know the wildings won't help her and once she uses Selyse's protection, I think Mel's going to go for it.

Please explain shadow baby sex with Stannis if mel is a glamoured man. Is it a shadow butt baby... LOL I Cannot finish that thought it is too funny! :drunk: So I suppose you are in the Euron is the dusky woman camp as well huh? Gross... :ack:

Well this is a world of magic and "fantasy" Besides.. Stannis is probably a closet gay. Why does he keep Davos and his handsome sons around too much. They betray him and defy him but he never beheads them like he does all the other men that do this to him. Why? He doesnt even sleep with his wife. I think he got the good bargain. A Blackfyre glamoured into a woman. What better way to hide? think about it, remember that story of the guy who slept with a hairy woman, but turns out the woman was a bear? The bear got cubs or cub like men that were seen running around north of the wall.

I think the Shadow that she birthed that killed Tyrell was black (another gay..hmm may be GRRM is telling us something about the color Black) I think its a pretty solid hint that its a Blackfyre spawn.

I've also seen it thrown around on here that Quaithe is actually Shiera under the mask... Does Dany ever describe Quaithe's eyes? I think just brown.

Yes, this is something I've been throwing out on the board for quite some time. I can't remember if Quaithe's eyes are ever described but it really doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure, no matter who Quaithe is, she is a practitioner of the sorcerous arts and, thus, can make herself look however she wants. Also, I believe there are indications that Quaithe, at least sometimes, appeared to Dany in a sort of vision and not physically. Thus, once again, she could probably make herself look however she wants :dunno:

Well this is a world of magic and "fantasy" Besides.. Stannis is probably a closet gay. Why does he keep Davos and his handsome sons around too much. They betray him and defy him but he never beheads them like he does all the other men that do this to him. Why? He doesnt even sleep with his wife. I think he got the good bargain. A Blackfyre glamoured into a woman. What better way to hide? think about it, remember that story of the guy who slept with a hairy woman, but turns out the woman was a bear? The bear got cubs or cub like men that were seen running around north of the wall.

I think the Shadow that she birthed that killed Tyrell was black (another gay..hmm may be GRRM is telling us something about the color Black) I think its a pretty solid hint that its a Blackfyre spawn.

Davos is the only honorable, honest, and trustworthy man Stannis has, homosexuality need not play into thier dynamic.

Some think Tormund's Bear story is his funny way of telling Jon he hooked up with a she-bear (a lady of mormont). In any case I would not take it too literally, esp the baby human bear hybrid punchline.

As to the last part shadow baby killed Tyrell? Do you mean renley? or courtnay penrose? Black = gay color? I do not know what you are getting at but I hope its just a joke.

Yes, this is something I've been throwing out on the board for quite some time. I can't remember if Quaithe's eyes are ever described but it really doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure, no matter who Quaithe is, she is a practitioner of the sorcerous arts and, thus, can make herself look however she wants. Also, I believe there are indications that Quaithe, at least sometimes, appeared to Dany in a sort of vision and not physically. Thus, once again, she could probably make herself look however she wants :dunno:

Good points tho I don't think their first meeting was a vision/dream.

Melisandre used to be a slave... the flashbacks she hears in her point of view are from when she was being sold.. lot seven to be specific on location

I would hope this is self evident to most readers after Tyrion's auction.

Good points tho I don't think their first meeting was a vision/dream.

Oh, I agree. That's why I said "at least sometimes". That is, Quaithe appeared to Dany sometimes (or once) physically and sometimes as a "vision".

That fact is another of the reasons I've always believed Quaithe to be none other than Shiera Seastar. I think Quaithe is sort of playing a role to Dany that is similar to the role that the Three-Eyed Crow is playing to Bran. Not the same, mind you, but a bit similar. From there I'm just speculating that there could be a connection between these two "guides" who sometimes use dreams/visions to appear to their "charges" and who we can be reasonably sure would be aware of the various prophecies/song of ice and fire, etc. Finally, I don't believe Martin will be introducing new characters out of the blue this late in the game. I think he has already foreshadowed/introduced everyone (e.g. the Three-Eyed Crow being Bloodraven, etc.)

ETA: Then again Quaithe was introduced pretty early on so Quaithe might just be Quaithe ;) What I'm trying to say, very poorly, is that Quaithe could just be Quaithe, I guess. But if, like the Three-Eyed Crow, she turns out to be someone else, etc. then I think she's Shiera Seastar.

I think Quaithe is Seastar and Three eyed crow is bloodraven if I remember correctly two of them were lovers and now they are putting their master plan in motion.One is preparing a skinchanger to be able to warg into anything and espacialy he wants bran to warg in to spmething that flies.And warging in to ravens is a harsh work becaause they have a part of the skinchanger who warg to them.Bloodraven trains BRAN FOR DRAGONS.Seastar tries to help Dany.And for Mel I think she is undead and she used to be slave.Mel can sleep but she doesn't need to and she doesn't want to because of the dreams.

Davos is the only honorable, honest, and trustworthy man Stannis has, homosexuality need not play into thier dynamic.

Some think Tormund's Bear story is his funny way of telling Jon he hooked up with a she-bear (a lady of mormont). In any case I would not take it too literally, esp the baby human bear hybrid punchline.

As to the last part shadow baby killed Tyrell? Do you mean renley? or courtnay penrose? Black = gay color? I do not know what you are getting at but I hope its just a joke.

Not its not a joke...Naked half bear humans running about in the frozen north and transexual blackfyres have to be represented fairly..

:drunk:

There is something odd about her for sure. Something I have never been able to figure out about her is if her eyes are just really bright red and reflect light so they appear to glow in the right lighting (like Ghosts eyes), or if they actually radiate and inner light so that they would be brightly visible in a pitch black room and cast a glow onto her face and surrounding objects. This is never made clear in the book, sometimes it seems like they are actually radiating light and sometimes it just seems like they are reflecting light like a cats eyes.

If they actually glow then I hesitate to say she is an outright Rhillor zombie, because if thats the case then shouldn't Stoneheart and Beric also have red glowing eyes? Perhaps Rhillor zombies don't glow but the Rhillor equivelant of a White Walker does, and this is what Mel is, not a zombie of Rhillor but one of his actual missionaries and given everlasting life in order to carry out his will. She doesn't seem to have lost her memories like the Rhillor zombies were doing, as shown by her nightmares about the Lot 7 thing.

After each ressurection they lost a bit of their being.Berric was ressurected 7 times so he didn't remember much but for Mel i think she is ressurected only once or twice so she still remembers most of her life.Even in the end Berric stil remembered a little about his life.She uses a magic amulet around her neck to make her spells more powerfull and she uses strange tricks granted by mummers from ashai to show people what they want she admits it on her POV she says she carries little pockets of dusts in her robe.I think she is undead like Cat thats why she is clinging to the red priestess thing because i think that was the most important think to her before she was given the kiss of fire.Cat was in a great loss and she felt vengeance and madness as she past away so returned as a grudge movie reject :D Beric was sent in a quest of justice by Ned so he was obsessed with bringing justice to the realm.

• 1 year later...

Could Melisandre using glamur to hide her real appearance? If so, do you think she is old or just plain looking young woman)? Do you think she is R'holl's undead? Like Beric and Cat? I am convinced that ruby is source of her glamur.

Some things that are worth discussing:

A. Mance is using the same gem Mel is using.

B. Melisandre is in no need for food. But she is in need for sleep. She is in no need for cloak or warm clothes.

Question: Could it be that ruby (glamur) is saving her youth, making her 300 years old woman who will look like 30 years old woman even if she looses her ruby?

C. She survived assisanation attempt. Could it be that she is undead or that she has magic protection from famine, thirst, coldness and poison?

Do we all agree she is using the ruby on her neck as a magical amulet?

When Dany is in Qarth, she is given a piece of jewelry said to be magical, and that its function is to protect the wearer against poisons. Here is the quote, from a Dany chapter in Clash of Kings:

Dany’s tight silver collar was chafing against her throat. She unfastened it and flung it aside. The collar was set with an enchanted amethyst that Xaro swore would ward her against all poisons. The Pureborn were notorious for offering poisoned wine to those they thought dangerous, but they had not given Dany so much as a cup of water. They never saw me for a queen, she thought bitterly. I was only an afternoon’s amusement, a horse girl with a curious pet.

So yes, IMO it's likely the crystal is protecting Mel in a similar way.

• 1 month later...

I've also seen it thrown around on here that Quaithe is actually Shiera under the mask... Does Dany ever describe Quaithe's eyes? I think just brown. If she is mel at least she glamoured the mismatched eyes huh? IDK if Mel was an important somebody like that seems we would've gotten a hint in the POV. The "Melony" "Lot 7" seems to me to be "echoes" of her former life (ie being sold to red temple) similar to Lord Beric remembering some things about his life but not some important details like his new bride's face.

I was reading about Quaithe a day ago and her eyes are only described as watery. I don't recall a color. But I forgot how important Quaithe is.

Archived