How is (f)Aegon a Blackfyre?

Since joining this forum, it seems everyone is split on whether Aegon is the Targaryen heir or another Blackfyre pretender. While reading I never even got the slightest hint that he was a Blackfyre. Since he is claiming to be a Targaryen and the people around him, GC and Connington, believe that, how would the truth, if it is the truth, of him being a Blackfyre even come out?

I think GRRM's writing is too good for a character to accidently let is slip. Arianne won't be able to tell the difference between Targ and Blackfyre either. So how, even if it's true, does it matter?

The main clue is found here.

Dany saw a vision of the mummer's dragon in the HotU, and Aegon fits since Varys, a former mummer, is backing him. There has been no foreshadowing of the real Aegon being revealed, but plenty for a fake Aegon.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot more interesting if Aegon was the real deal (or we never find out if he's real or not) but Dany uses the rumour of a Blackfyre pretender to weaken his claim and destroy him.

It'd actually give Dany an interesting character arc where she's forced to question whether or not to challenge her brother's son's right to the throne when, unlike him, she has the Targaryen hellfire to back up her claim and has only had the belief that she was the last dragon to give her a purpose and goal in life all these years after she lost everything.

Honestly, I think it would be a lot more interesting if Aegon was the real deal (or we never find out if he's real or not) but Dany uses the rumour of a Blackfyre pretender to weaken his claim and destroy him.

It'd actually give Dany an interesting character arc where she's forced to question whether or not to challenge her brother's son's right to the throne when, unlike him, she has the Targaryen hellfire to back up her claim and has only had the belief that she was the last dragon to give her a purpose and goal in life all these years after she lost everything.

But that will happen anyway, no matter if Aegon is fake or not. It's one of the things in the next book I'm really looking forward to - Dany's eaction to fAegon.

But that will happen anyway, no matter if Aegon is fake or not. It's one of the things in the next book I'm really looking forward to - Dany's eaction to fAegon.

I just feel that if he's concretely revealed to be a Blackfyre, it'd make it all too easy a decision for Dany to destroy him. The conflict would be incredibly one-dimensional because we know Dany is in the right to vanquish such a pretender, and fAegon would just be another idiot in a long and forgettable list who stood in Dany's way.

If he's real though (or if his heritage is never confirmed), it gives Dany an interesting moral dilemma to overcome. After she lost Drogo and Rhaego, for years she's derived her only purpose in life by identifying herself as the last legitimate Targaryen who will restore her fallen House. What does that mean for her when beloved Rhaegar's son shows up with a better claim than hers? Does she meekly stand aside because he's her brother's son, or does she decide that she has a better right to the throne because she has dragons?

And if she chooses the latter, what better way to rationalize to herself and her followers that she's not really fighting the son of the brother she's worshiped all her life, but rather an upstart descended from a defeated bastard line.

It can be revealed to the reader without Dany ever knowing, or only once he's dead. That would leave her choice three-dimensional.

The second issue will arise anyway as well - with Jon.

Agreed that it could be revealed to the reader only (though I personally think it makes for more interesting speculation and debate if it's not, but that's really subjective). However, I feel that if he's ever revealed as a Blackfyre to Dany, it automatically erodes any guilt or doubt that weighs on her conscience, and would lessen her growth.

As for Jon, I'm honestly not sure whether he or Dany will ever even meet. Even if they do, I don't see Jon challenging her for the throne, and I don't see any convincing way for him to make her believe he's Rhaegar's son (and I have serious doubts that Jon would even want to be recognized as Rhaegar's).

Agreed that it could be revealed to the reader only (though I personally think it makes for more interesting speculation and debate if it's not, but that's really subjective). However, I feel that if he's ever revealed as a Blackfyre to Dany, it automatically erodes any guilt or doubt that weighs on her conscience, and would lessen her growth.

As for Jon, I'm honestly not sure whether he or Dany will ever even meet. Even if they do, I don't see Jon challenging her for the throne, and I don't see any convincing way for him to make her believe he's Rhaegar's son (and I have serious doubts that Jon would even want to be recognized as Rhaegar's).

Dany saw a blue rose growing at a Wall made of Ice in the HotU. Jon will definitely have some impact on Dany's storyline - but what that impact will be is still to be determined.

As for Jon challenging Dany's claim - as King in the North that might be necessary even if he doesn't particularly like the idea.

Dany saw a blue rose growing at a Wall made of Ice in the HotU. Jon will definitely have some impact on Dany's storyline - but what that impact will be is still to be determined.

As for Jon challenging Dany's claim - as King in the North that might be necessary even if he doesn't particularly like the idea.

The vision of the blue rose doesn't necessarily mean Jon will be important to her personally, but perhaps on a more macro scale. For example, how exactly did seeing a dead Robb help Dany?

If Jon challenges Dany as King in the North, he'll be doing it as a Stark and a legitimate son of Eddard, not as a Targaryen heir born to Rheagar.

Plus I have my doubts that the Northern lords will crown Jon their king once Manderly gets his hands on Rickon, and I don`t see Jon abandoning the NW either anytime soon.

The vision of the blue rose doesn't necessarily mean Jon will be important to her personally, but perhaps on a more macro scale. For example, how exactly did seeing a dead Robb help Dany?

If Jon challenges Dany as King in the North, he'll be doing it as a Stark and a legitimate son of Eddard, not as a Targaryen heir born to Rheagar.

Plus I have my doubts that the Northern lords will crown Jon their king once Manderly gets his hands on Rickon, and I don`t see Jon abandoning the NW either anytime soon.

Even if Jon is revealed to be a true Targ, he'll still be a true Stark as well. If Robb's Will resurfaces and declares Jon heir, and because he's not a bastard, he'll come before Rickon.

A 5 years olds King need a Regent, and Robb's will legitimated Jon. :o

Jon comes first if he is legitimised but will he want the job if Rickon shows up alive? never.

Well, it would make sense to lay the decision before Jon: Accept Robb's Will (and thus become Lord of Winterfell and KitN), but thus usurp Rickon's claim... Or accept being Rhaegar's and Lyanna's and thus get tangled in Southron matters... Or don't accept either and remain Snow - but that may be problematic. So I think the R+L revelation will come in handy for Jon to not have to accept Robb's will.

well no one knows i would like us to know though cause i honestly feel him being rhaegar's and elia's son is better than him being a blackfyre. That would be better for dany's character development and make elia even more interesting if she was in on the baby swap.

What I find interesting about the how Aegon being a Blackfyre is that he might not even be from Daemon's line. Yes he had kids but around the same time his Rebellion takes place and his kids are across the Narrow Sea, you actually have a Targaryen prince in Lys. Now if Aerion had bastards over there they wouldn't be Blackfyre's just a royal bastard...So with that said whos to say Aegon isnt descended off of him?? I mean we do get Illyrio's story about Serra being a sex slave in Lys of all places..idk just a thought

I don't think Aegon is a Blackfyre. It would diminish the plot of the story if he was. There is simply too much going on for him to lamely be revealed as yet another pretender. I think he is a true Targaryen, and the real interesting conflict will come when Dany has to fight him. By the time Dany gets to Westeros with some kind of army and a dragon (or 3), Aegon is going to have conquered most of the eastern side of the continent as well as the capital. He is only a 16-year-old boy and we have seen him start to develop an arrogant streak. I think after the fine taste of glory and conquest, he won't be willing to share his Throne/power with Dany and she will be conflicted about having to war against her own kin.

It would be more dramatic this way than to just have Dany fight Aegon because he is another usurper, as that is the reason she will be fighting Stannis/Tyrells/Lannisters/Ironborn and whoever else lays claim to her throne.

There are so many hints that Aegon's isn't who he thinks he is. First, there's the black dragon that rusted and washed up red as some pretty deliberate forshadowing. There's Illyrio's statement that red or black, a dragon is a dragon. There's the fact that Illyrio is getting directly involved in the politics on another continent in a way that doesn't serve either his greed or his gluttony, and there's the fact that the Golden Company is going to fight for him.

Plot wise, the main reason for Aegon to be a Blackfyre is that it gives Illyrio a reason for all the shit he does. In Dance, he's seen by Tyrion to be oddly sentimentel about getting to see Aegon before they set off. Plus some other stuff that makes people think Aegon is Illyrio's son with Serra. So why would Illyrio get the idea of trying to pass his son off as the heir to the Iron Throne? Well, one reason would be that Serra was a Blackfyre and Illyrio could be be fufilling her wish that their son get his rightful (in her eyes) inheiritance. In this version, Varys does what he does to destabilize the realm in service of his one friend in the world, Illyrio Mopatis. Why these two operators, especially Illyrio, would care so much who sits the Iron Throne had gone unexplained since the first book. In Dance, we learn it's because they've got a candidate in mind.

Literarily, it gives us a reason for all the stuff we've learned about the Blackfyres being in the books. Martin isn't above digressions (obvious thing is obvious) and he can't pay every little thing off, but there's been a lot, lot of Blackfyre talk for something that's just background.

Something I too am looking forward to :)

I don't think Aegon is a Blackfyre. It would diminish the plot of the story if he was. There is simply too much going on for him to lamely be revealed as yet another pretender. I think he is a true Targaryen, and the real interesting conflict will come when Dany has to fight him. By the time Dany gets to Westeros with some kind of army and a dragon (or 3), Aegon is going to have conquered most of the eastern side of the continent as well as the capital. He is only a 16-year-old boy and we have seen him start to develop an arrogant streak. I think after the fine taste of glory and conquest, he won't be willing to share his Throne/power with Dany and she will be conflicted about having to war against her own kin.

It would be more dramatic this way than to just have Dany fight Aegon because he is another usurper, as that is the reason she will be fighting Stannis/Tyrells/Lannisters/Ironborn and whoever else lays claim to her throne.

Honestly, I don't see how being a "Blackfyre" instead a real "Targaryen" makes him a pretender. Daemon was Targ on both sides and a legitimized heir to the throne. His descendants are still proper heirs to the Iron throne, assuming that even matters. Granted, they're low in the chain of heirs, and way below Dany, but they're still real Targaryens. The fact that Daemon chose a new name and sigil is only marginally important.

Archived