Why isn't Jon better looking?

AegonTargaryen

No, the TV show cast pretty actors, period. Even Gwendoline Christie was a part-time model and her character is supposed to be really ugly. Look at Iain Glenn, he is extremely handsome when his character in the books was nothing like that. Dinklage too.

Although, I've heard lots of complaints on show Theon not being attractive enough?

I agree with you though, as vain as it is most TV shows cast pretty actors to get more fans, particularly 'fangirls.'

Jon is mini Ned. Cat and ned says so themselves. If he is anything like lyanna then why people don't attribute him to her? Yet people say that arya is like lyanna all the time.

People generally don't compare a male to a female in appearance unless its a sibling or mother. Also, there's no reason for people to think of Jon as looking like Lyanna because as far as they know he has no link to her while Arya has the 'Stark' look so she's compared to the other female stark and having the same personality as her helps.

People see what they want to see. Perhaps, Ned sees Lyanna's personality in Arya so he will relate her to Lyanna and this will result in him finding similarities in her appearance as well.

Guaranteed, if R+L=J is revealed then people will see Lyanna in Jon as they will be looking for it.

Also, saying Jon looks like Lyanna would be a poor move on GRRM's part, it would practically be giving away his true parentage.

Maybe it's because he spends very little time around women? The only women he's ever really known that aren't family are Ygritte, Val and Melisandre. Ygritte was all over him, Melisandre's offered to sleep with him and Val... well we don't know what she thinks of Jon.

This makes the huge assumption that family members (ignoring incest) are not prepared to comment on a siblings looks. We have seen from many examples such as Ned and Sansa, this is not the case. Other straight men like Victarion and Tyrion have no problem commenting on mens looks either.

Jon was a kid when he first joined the NW, I doubt that his looks would be something that people considered of him. But now he's older and he's in a position of power, bastard or not. He is definitely more interesting to people, specially the ladies.

I think you've touched on something here.

Jon and Arya look alike...and both favour Ned (especially compared to their siblings). Ned tells Arya she is a lot like Lyanna- who was a famous beauty. This startles Arya "Horseface" because she's never considered herself beautiful.

All three: Lyanna, Jon, and Arya may have been/be people who are more attractive as adults than they were as children. So the point of the books where we first meet Jon (and Arya), they aren't particularly attractive. But as he (and her) come into his (and her) own?

Archived