The most awkward program to watch with your family [Spoilers]

Tenzinkendrick

Just stating reasons that Game of Thrones is the most awkward program I have watched with my family. Reasons:

-During sex scenes, you have to remain unfocused to not look like a pervert, but pay attention so as to not look childish. You keep glancing at the reactions of other watchers. This carries on for around five minutes before the scene ends.

-During mass violence, there is the same problem. This time, showing no fear or shock reaction makes you seem heartless, while looking too emotional makes you look childish.

State other reasons it can be so awkward.

The only awkward part is the sex and nude scenes. I watched the whole series all by myself on my laptop and I'm glad I did so. Since I liked the series so much I wanted to let my Mother or Brother know about it, but since I know there is a lot of sex and nude scenes, I know it would be quite innappropiate, so I'll just keep my mouth shut.

-During sex scenes, you have to remain unfocused to not look like a pervert, but pay attention so as to not look childish. You keep glancing at the reactions of other watchers. This carries on for around five minutes before the scene ends.

-During mass violence, there is the same problem. This time, showing no fear or shock reaction makes you seem heartless, while looking too emotional makes you look childish.

LOL I thought I was the only person who did this. I just try my best not to look uncomfortable when stuff like that happens in a movie or show while I'm watching it with other people. As for Game of Thrones, I stream all the episodes and watch them by myself. When the season comes out on DVD, I buy it and lend it to members of my family so they can watch it by themselves too. Although, I did watch the Drogo/Dany rape scene with my aunt one time and that was rather awful...

Hahaha, good to know I'm not the only person who does this. I told my Dad about the show and he's been pestering me, trying to force me to watch the boxset with him for a couple of months now. I'm running out of excuses so I might just have to be blunt with him. :eek:

Grow up people, I watch this series with my parents. We're all adults, it's not that big of a deal until you make it so.

Agreed. My parents, friends, and I all watch the show together and it's usually just ho-hum during the sex/gore scenes.

If the scenes make people uncomfortable, try using the time to talk about previous scenes or something off topic.

Well I never watch the show with my family (nor would I ever want to) but with friends... ya I do exactly what you described.

Especially because I am the one who recommended it to my friends in the first place, so their like "So this is the type of stuff your into, eh?"

My family loves this show, but I have a feeling they would NOT want to be watching it with me. It's one thing to talk about the episodes, it's another thing to have to sit through five minutes of two chicks fingering each other with your parents in the same room :lol:

Grow up people, I watch this series with my parents. We're all adults, it's not that big of a deal until you make it so.

My parents are incredibely conservative and religious, so no … I would not watch this show with them. Not so much because I would make a big deal, but because they would make a big deal.

I actually convinced my dad to watch the first season since he is a huge science fiction/fantasy fan and although he liked the story, the nudity and profanity was too much for him.

I watch the show with my boyfriend and friends though. Some of the truly raunchy sex scenes (the brothel scene with Ros and Littlefinger in season 1 comes to mind) are the only ones that ever make me a little uncomfortable, but not enough to walk out of the room or anything. :D

what your saying about the nudity scenes is definitely true, but i've always been okay when it comes to the violence, i just sit back and enjoy, and if i feel any genuine sympathy for the people involved, it just adds to the entertainment. I'd probably recommend to my brother or someone else in my family who's around my age who would probably enjoy it, but to spare awkwardness i try and not to watch with family they can do it by themselves and then we can talk about it, game of thrones is best watched alone

Heh, most awkward scene ever with my mom was when she randomly sat down during a Rome episode. I hadn't seen it yet, so I had no idea Pullo and Gaia were about to enter the most graphic sex scene in the series. I was in high school and my mom just watched with a "WTF?" expression. Then, 10 minutes later, "did they actually say 'fuck' back then?" She hasn't watched GOT as it's not her cup of tea.

My dad and I watch anything together, sometimes with my stepmom.Only thing is I tend to grin during scenes when I'm slightly uncomfortable but enjoying the acting and the emotional draw. So my dad had to go "should I be worried about how much you're into this?" when Ramsay was torturing Theon and Locke was getting ready to lop Jaime's hand off.

I don't have any friends right around me who watch GOT weekly, but I wouldn't care about watching it with them.

Heh, most awkward scene ever with my mom was when she randomly sat down during a Rome episode. I hadn't seen it yet, so I had no idea Pullo and Gaia were about to enter the most graphic sex scene in the series. I was in high school and my mom just watched with a "WTF?" expression. Then, 10 minutes later, "did they actually say 'fuck' back then?" She hasn't watched GOT as it's not her cup of tea.

bahaha. i can't think of a sex scene in a tv show that could be more uncomfortable to watch with a parent. i was watching over my shoulder in the living room when i was watching that scene because i knew it would be awkward if any of my parents would walk in.

otherwise, my parents are neither religious nor conservatie, but it's damn embarassing to watch those scenes with them anyway. it's like it becomes extra silent during those scenes and it just becomes... awkward. i can't quite say why though. and when my mother is watching and making comments about it, that's the worst.

i remember when i was watching season 1 of game of thrones and the rape scene with dany and drogo was on and i rewinded it one time to see what happened before. then my mother came in from the kitchen and asked: "why are you watching this scene twice?" and that was embarassing too.

anyway, yes, everyone are adults, but it becomes damn embarassing anyway.

My dad and I watch anything together, sometimes with my stepmom. Only thing is I tend to grin during scenes when I'm slightly uncomfortable but enjoying the acting and the emotional draw. So my dad had to go "should I be worried about how much you're into this?" when Ramsay was torturing Theon and Locke was getting ready to lop Jaime's hand off.

:laugh: Glad to see I am not the only one who has to put up with this! I also have this weird tendency to slightly smile during very sad or dramatic scenes, as long as I am touched by the acting and emotions. Luckily, I watch this show always by myself. I watched the first four episodes with my dad, but it wasn't very uncomfortable (he is the opposite of conservative, and we've never had any taboos at home)

I have never seen it with friends either, but I have this female friend that comes to mind... The other day we were watching Braveheart and she spent the whole movie with her eyes closed! She couldn't bear even to see a horse wounded in a battle scene. She exasperated me sometimes! When the film finished, I strongly recommended her never to watch anything which started with "HBO" :rolleyes:

bahaha. i can't think of a sex scene in a tv show that could be more uncomfortable to watch with a parent. i was watching over my shoulder in the living room when i was watching that scene because i knew it would be awkward if any of my parents would walk in.

Pilot of True Blood. Bam. Though it was worse when my little sister wanted to watch The Tudors. I don't care if she watches something a bit dirty, and neither does my mom most of the time, but the stepdad is another matter. I felt like a drug dealer, always with one eye on the hallway, finger on the CH button.

:laugh: Glad to see I am not the only one who has to put up with this! I also have this weird tendency to slightly smile during very sad or dramatic scenes, as long as I am touched by the acting and emotions. Luckily, I watch this show always by myself. I watched the first four episodes with my dad, but it wasn't very uncomfortable (he is the opposite of conservative, and we've never had any taboos at home)

I have never seen it with friends either, but I have this female friend that comes to mind... The other day we were watching Braveheart and she spent the whole movie with her eyes closed! She couldn't bear even to see a horse wounded in a battle scene. She exasperated me sometimes! When the film finished, I strongly recommended her never to watch anything which started with "HBO" :rolleyes:

Oh lord, my mom can't stand anything happening to animals. Then I have a friend who I took to see Cabin in the Woods. Yup, eyes covered the whole time. Grrrrrrl it's a comedy!

Haha, some people have resting bitch face, I have resting smile face. What makes it worse is when I simply like the actors so I'm really happy when they're giving a great performance. I lurve Alfie Allen and Iwan Rheon as actors so I'll be biting my mouth to keep from grinning.

:agree: I watch this with my entire family. I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

Archived