Michiel Huisman as Daario?

TheKnightofGreyGarden

I found myself liking New Daario very much. He's a lot better than his counterpart from the books and Michiel Huisman is a hell of a lot better than Ed Skrein. I don't give two cents about how he looks as long as he's a good character, and for the first time I can actually stand Daario. I also find him more believable than the previous, ridiculous version in season 3. So I'm all for the change of actor.

Apparently, the first Daario left because he got a part in a film-

http://www.themarysue.com/ed-skrein-post-got-role/

Personally, I think his career would have benefited more staying with the show. He probably wont even be recognised for his part in the film.

After seeing the S4 premier I've got to say I preferred old Daario. The new actor is attractive enough and doesn't seem to have poor acting but he doesn't have that 'want to punch you in the face so badly' Daario quality that the old one had. I'm afraid this one will come across as more romantic and noble, making Dany's annoying school girl like infatuation more understandable.

Huisman was announced in August last year for GoT

Skrein was announced in February this year for Transporter.

The 'previous engagement' position does not have evidence to support it.

My take:

Old Daario was a terrible actor. Sure he did the seductive half smile very well, but that is it! He was wooden and had no range. The part is too complex for that.

New guy is a much better actor. A single episode was not enough to see this and why he was chosen. However if you watch some episodes of "Nashville" where he also plays a carefree master of seduction you will see why he was chosen. He is a MUCH better actor and it will soon show. He is very good at seduction with a much higher emotional range than Daario 1.

I don't understand how anyone who's read the books could like the 3rd season Daario.

Looks : As far from Daario as they could possibly be. Daario is a sellsword. This guy is indeed more like a model for male underwear. Long hair that doesn't go well with his face and completely unfit for a warrior. Clean and effeminate face. And let's not forget his creepy eyes. I would say maybe too heavily built and too tall because Daario fights with 2 swords, an arakh and some kind of stiletto if I remember well. So he has always seemed to me like a fighter that relies on technique (and dirty tricks) rather than strength. He also doesn't go well at all with Emilia Clarke. So complete miscast and thank you to the producers for changing that character.

Personality : Well he did have the arrogance and the ruthless part down. But Daario being a sellsword is cautious too or else he would have died long ago. When he first meets Dany in the books he leers at her from afar and eventually brings her flowers but he definitely doesn't presume to already have her favor.

The new Dario in Season 4 is much better to me.

Looks : Definitely more of a warrior. The beard helps too. Daenerys is attracted to Daario's character because despite her cunning and pride she is a young girl and is thus attracted to older and more experienced men. It IS true that he looks too westerosi, Daario is pentoshi afterall. I can understand not dyeing his hair and beard blue but they could have made a character with a slightly different costume and maybe hairstyle. He does fit Emilia a LOT better though.

Personality : Unseen as of yet. This first episode was an introduction and we only see him play a daring game with Grey Worm and flirt with Daenerys. I'll wait until his opinion is asked for strategy or dealing with traitors and enemies personnaly. Then we'll see if it's really Daario.

Not digging him so far not gonna lie. Skrein really captured the smug cockiness well. I just don't see it in this guy.

x2

Granted, Skrein looked a bit like an over the top male lead on a romance novel cover, but I could buy his smug, arrogant devil-may-care mercenary version of Daario.

New Daario just seems too cute and sensitive for the role.

x2

Granted, Skrein looked a bit like an over the top male lead on a romance novel cover, but I could buy his smug, arrogant devil-may-care mercenary version of Daario.

New Daario just seems too cute and sensitive for the role.

The problem is that is the ONLY thing he did well.

For a broader sample of the new guy and how he portrays a seductive badass, see Nashville. He is quite a good actor and I am sure he will pull it off. In Nashville is is more of a Rock n Roll guy

Huisman may be a better actor, but S3 Daario was better than either Book Daario or S4 Daario. There's more to a character than just the acting; the overall look of the character (not just the actor, but the wardrobe/makeup/costuming), as well as the [screenplay] writing, and chemistry with other the actors in the specific production.

I find the the two scenes so far (Grey Worm and the Flowers) to be very low quality (for GoT at least) writing, I think that making the character look like Young Mormont instead of something exotic makes him worse than Book Daario, and I thought S3 Daario had much better [nonverbal] chemistry (presence).

S4 Daario may end up being a good character, but D&D should have just retired S3 Daario and written Huisman in as Strong Belwas (giving Belwas Daario's ADWD plot) instead of giving Huisman's character Daario's name and backstory and merging Belwas into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta go with the first guy.

Daario is by far my least favorite character in the books, hate that guy. So far this season I find Huismas's depiction of him likable. The first guy captured the douchey, arrogant, greedy, womanizer vibe that book Daario had much better. You may like the new Daario a lot more, I know I do, but you're not suppose to like the guy.

Well I agree he lacks the touch of exoticism. They really should have died his beard blue.

But otherwise I think the new guy will do great.

As for liking him, I think that is a smart move. If we like him for now, while he seduces Dany, we will be even more shocked later when he does something stupid or turns out to be a spy or whatever.

Huisman may be a better actor, but S3 Daario was better than either Book Daario or S4 Daario. There's more to a character than just the acting; the overall look of the character (not just the actor, but the wardrobe/makeup/costuming), as well as the [screenplay] writing, and chemistry with other the actors in the specific production.

I find the the two scenes so far (Grey Worm and the Flowers) to be very low quality (for GoT at least) writing, I think that making the character look like Young Mormont instead of something exotic makes him worse than Book Daario, and I thought S3 Daario had much better [nonverbal] chemistry (presence).

S4 Daario may end up being a good character, but D&D should have just retired S3 Daario and written Huisman in as Strong Belwas (giving Belwas Daario's ADWD plot) instead of giving Huisman's character Daario's name and backstory and merging Belwas into it.

You know, im starting to notice that the production in general seems of lower quality this season. The writing's not as crisp, the acting's sloppier, epic scenes just look more and more fake (Dany's speech to Meereene).

Archived