The Faith's Champion

Emtreid

I've heard a lot of theories about Sandor being the faith's champion in Cersei's trial by combat, but what are the other theories? The high sparrow seems to me like the kind of man to have a trick up his sleeve. To have Robert Strong's first battle against some random warrior's son would surely be a waste; it must be someone who we know to be a formidable adversary.

If Robert Strong loses the fight it will seem like a bit of an anticlimax. I can see Sandor killing him eventually, but not in Cersei's trial. So in short, who do you think will be the faith's champion?

Lancell or Theodan the True are only 2 mentioned of joining the HS .im sure there are many others .tyene nay want a piece of Robert strong once she gets to kings landing and sees cercies champion.i also don't see strong being defeated until he runs into sandor .cercie will win marg will lose an all he'll is gonna breakout in kings landing .mace isn't gonna let them kill his daughter.id like to see aero hotah kill Robert strong .

I don't think it's going to be Sandor or Lancel. Sandor had his leg badly hurt, wasn't he limping last time we saw him? Lancel doesn't seem to be that healthy either, besides, he's probably a decent fighter, but not so good that he would fight "Robert Strong".

You dont need to be better to win a fight. If it was the case, the best teams of every sport would always be undefeated.

To go up against Robert Strong in single combat you won't have no team members to help whoever is the HS champion they better be good and healthy to win. Lancell doesn't stand a chance and sandor was injured badly last we seen him so I think it will be someone we least expect if the trial even happens.

I don't think it's going to be Sandor or Lancel. Sandor had his leg badly hurt, wasn't he limping last time we saw him? Lancel doesn't seem to be that healthy either, besides, he's probably a decent fighter, but not so good that he would fight "Robert Strong".

Lancel might fight Ser Robert Strong because he feels that it's is his duty. Ser Kevan has just died, and there is a good chance that Lancel blames it on Cersei. He already feels guilty for his affair with Cersei, he might decide to avenge Ser Kevan by defeating Cersei's champion. And if he doesn't win, well, he'll die as penance for his sins. Lancel might consider it a win-win-situation.

And the High Septon might feel the same. Assuming that he even wants his champion to win - after all, Kevan Lannister and the High Septon had reached the agreement that Cersei would win her trial by combat.

To go up against Robert Strong in single combat you won't have no team members to help whoever is the HS champion they better be good and healthy to win. Lancell doesn't stand a chance and sandor was injured badly last we seen him so I think it will be someone we least expect if the trial even happens.

Sandor is my choice, he was injured long time ago, and he is foreshadowed to kill his brother. He will be heatly enough by the time he face RS.

In some other topics it was speculated, that Cersei's trial would not be a regular trial by battle but a Trial by Seven (see Dunk and Egg). In this case the HS would need seven champions, not one.

However, it is not even clear, that if this was the case, there would be some actually fighting, since Cersei needs to be defended by members of the kingsguard, some of them who are not available in the moment (Loras, Jaime, Balon Swann) and a trial by seven is automatically lost, if the accurser or defendant is unable to bring seven people to fight for him.

It's obviously going to be Lancel. There is no way that Cersei loses her trial by combat, so you can forget about Sandor being the Faith's champion (which is very ridiculous as it is, since the HS doesn't have a clue about Sandor. On top of that Sandor was injured and has no idea that his brother is still alive. Before Sandor can take the field Ungregor's identity should be revealed).

That leaves Lancel and Theodan the True. We have no investment in Theodan what so ever. We only know his name. We do have an investment in Lancel on the other hand. He's done some nasty shit, but he's trying his best to redeem himself. He wants to do penance for his sins. All in all he's a decent chap (a decent chap who has lost his father, who was himself a good guy).

And he goes up against Strong to clenze his name and to fight against the woman who lead him astray. How can we not root for him? And then of course Robert Strong will crush him to maximize our feels. It's the most efficient use of Lancel's character.

It also makes sense from the HS PoV. Let Lannister fight Lannister, that shows that you're a power to be reckoned with, because you can make members of the same House (a House notorious for its family spirit) fight each other. Add to that that the HS has no toptier knights (Theodan the True does not exactly strike me as a great knight, simply because we never heard of him). Lancel at the very least is a veteran and probably a decent fighter since he was trained by a proper Master at Arms. He's also pious and get's a chance to redeem himself (the HS is still a religious fanatic afterall), how could he lose? (and even if he did, than there is no real loss. It would be quite embarrising to have someone like Lancel in your ranks, who accused the Queen of adultery, when she's declared innocent).

I really don't see how it could be Lancel - he's not very well and he's presumably not a very good fighter (he might be well-trained but I doubt he's had much real experience). Would the faith really pick someone who's probably going to lose?

Does their champion have to be someone from the faith militant? Nearly everyone in the south worships the seven so there must be loads of top knights to choose from. What about Bonnifer Hasty or one of the holy hundred?

Whoever it is... they just need to be aim for knocking off his helmet to expose him as the Headless Zombieman. It's quite possible be can't be killed by conventional means anyway, so revealing what he is would be the best outcome. I can't see how Martin can keep up the secret of RS much longer, too many people are suspicious.

I think it will be Lancel. He'd love to be the one to expose more of Cersei's sins, since she made him a sinner. He doesn't have to win, and probably won't, but exposing Frankengregor will be meaningful enough.

Lancel seems unlikely no matter if the High Septon wants him to lose or not.

If he wants him to win then Lancel is a bad choice for the simple reason that we have no indication of him being an exceptional fighter. And you'd need one to beat Robert Strong. Even if he wouldn't be an undead colossos, he is still very obviously a colossos in an armor too heavy for everyone else to wear. He is like Gregor, who for good reason no one wanted to face in single combat and who only died from poison after winning his last battle, only stronger. I don't even know where the High Septon would get any fighter even remotely capable of taking him on, but I don't see why he'd pick Lancel of all people.

If he wants him to lose he does not have to worry about that, but this also means that Lancel's death is a rather likely outcome. And Lancel is very valuable to the High Septon - with House Lannister slowly sinking into total disarray (Joffrey dead, Tyrion gone, Tywin dead, Kevan dead, Cersei losing power), Lancel could soon become one of it's most influental members. And he is fanatically devoted to the Faith. Not an asset you are going to throw at a battle you don't care about winning anyway.

The only reason I could forsee Lancel being chosen is if the High Septon learns (or thinks he learned) of some kind of special way to defeat Robert Strong, and he then chooses Lancel to deliver as a way to offer him redemption (binding him even stronger), and for the symbolic value of his new Lannister pet sealing the fate of Cersei.

Whoever it is, i think they will get trounced.

Robert Strong is foreshadowed twice in AGOT, and grrm wouldnt have done this unless he was to be a very important character to the plot.

My dream scenario is a trial by 7 and RS kills all 7.

"unbeatable champion" - Qyburn.

Whoever it is... they just need to be aim for knocking off his helmet to expose him as the Headless Zombieman. It's quite possible be can't be killed by conventional means anyway, so revealing what he is would be the best outcome. I can't see how Martin can keep up the secret of RS much longer, too many people are suspicious.

I think it will be Lancel. He'd love to be the one to expose more of Cersei's sins, since she made him a sinner. He doesn't have to win, and probably won't, but exposing Frankengregor will be meaningful enough.

Yep I agree, as soon as that helmet comes off, Cersei and Qyburn are gonners. In that sense it doesn't matter who the Champion is.

Archived