The Details, Details, Details Thread, Part II

Lann_Boys'Girl

This is not really something I've noticed, but rather something I'd hoped someone could answer - Brienne's last name is Tarth, right?

I've come upon other people in the books with the last name Tarth. So would it still be acceptable if you called her Brienne Tarth, instead of Brienne of Tarth?

Why do all the characters in the books add "of" to her name?

Because that's how european nobles used to do it.

"von Hohenstaufen"

"de Valois"

etc..

This is probably mentioned in the book, but since I've been skipping around while reading the 4th, I have no idea.

Before Sam gets in a fight with Dareon he is saved from fighting 2 guys by a girl selling clams named Cat (Arya)

Its like Jesus of Nazareth, its where they are from. She doesnt have a last name. Like somebody else (Dunkan the Tall?)

Tarth isnt her last name, but the place inwhich she was born.

And yet there is a Ser Endrew Tarth in the Night's Watch...

There's already been a thread debating the nature of Brienne's last name. She's from a noble family. She's got a last name.

I think that debate leaned heavy in favor of Tarth being both her Last Name and where she was from.

Kindof like the Karstarks changing their last name from Stark to distinguish themselves, it was speculated that one of Brinenne's ancestors was awarded Tarth and changed their name to Tarth, but since this is rather recent ...

Ironically, in the Appendix Brienne's father is listed at Lord Selwyn the Evenstar. No help there.

Benjen, why would Bronn seek revenge? He knows that facing Cersei-as-Queen would be suicide, and sellswords (even former ones) value their skins above all else, including gold. He's got his own little power base, and seems to want to consolidate that power rather than do anything to risk it.

Plus, if he knows Cersei at all, he'll just wait for her to do something stupid and kill herself :D

Must say that I was both surprised and impressed by Bronn there.

I was sure that He would try to run once He learned that Queen Regent is after him, but He just didn't wont to hend ove Stockwort and rised small army instead.

I'am realy interested what will happend there.

And about what Bronn should do to get back at Cerecei is probably... Thanking Her. She made him Lord Stockworth after all.

There is no doubt that Bronn tried to find a way to dispose of Lolys older sister and Ser Balman (at least We can conclude so from his talk with inprisoned Tyrion).

Oh, and Lady Tanda lived just as long as She had to, not minute longer

Damn it :lol: I love this guy

I recently noticed a nice bit of symmetry in the prologues of ASOS and Feast. In ASOS, Sam is practicing archery; in Feast, Alleras is doing the same. Sam, however, misses the first two shots and hits his mark on the third, while the Sphinx hits the mark the first two tries and misses the third shot.

Guest Other-in-law

In aGoT, Ned recalls Robert and Rhaegar's encounter at the Trident as being fought on horseback, but Dany's vision in Qarth has them on foot ('sinking to his knees' is not what happens when you've been knocked of a horse with a hole punched in your chest by a warhammer).

Ned's memory is the correct one; the Undying's visions are non-literal in several other cases as well.

I've come upon other people in the books with the last name Tarth. So would it still be acceptable if you called her Brienne Tarth, instead of Brienne of Tarth?

Why do all the characters in the books add "of" to her name?

It could be because Brienne Tarth doesn't really sound right. The "n" and "t" sounds don't seem to belong together. Notice that her father, Lord Selwyn of Tarth also has the "of" stuck in front of his last name (look in the appendix of ACOK under Renly). Or it could just be an odd custom from Tarth (although I don't know how to explain Ser Endrew Tarth then).

right, on her period. So, the odds of her being knocked up by Jaime are slim to none. But the possiblity of her gettin' knocked up by a Kettleback fits. I think if she were pregnant that she would have already aborted it like she and Jaime did with Robert's child. But hey, it could be the proof we need to ice Cersei- yay

There is a theory being bandied about that Cersei was the one that the Moon Tea was being prepared for. If Cersei is preganant, she could plead her belly if convicted. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ...something.

Not a big deal but Maester Aemon talks about a tavern at the start of AFfC that is the same tavern the boys in Oldtown are in the prelude of the book. Mind boggiling I know.

"It is always warm in Oldtown. there is an inn on an island in the Honeywine where I used to go when I was a young novice. It will be pleasant to sit there once again, sipping cider."

Point is, it's been there a long time. And Aemon has been there, too.

Guest Other-in-law
I thought that Ned arrived at the battle after Raegar already died and because Robert was injured he took command from there

Ned took command of the pursuit of the broken remnants of the Targ host, but he was at the battle itself, just in a slightly different part of it from Robert's fight with Rhaegar.

Guest Other-in-law

Both of them dismounting seems very improbable to me, but here's the passage from Ned:

"They had come together at the ford of the Trident while the battle crashed around them, Robert with his warhammer and his great antlered helm, the Targaryen prince armoured all in black. On his breastplate was the three-headed dragon of his House, wrought all in rubies that flashed like fire in the sunlight. The waters of the Trident ran red around the hooves of their destriers as they circled and clashed, again and again, until at last a crushing blow from Robert's hammer stove in the dragon and the chest beneath it. When Ned had finally come on the scene, Rhaegar lay dead in the stream, while men of both armies scrabbled in the swirling waters for rubies knocked free from his armour."

No mention of fighting on foot in there anywhere by Robert and Rhaegar.

Doesn't Dany get a vision of a silver-haired prince kneeling down in the water while a huge guy smashes in his chest? I don't have my copy of aCoK nearby.

However one more interesting detail (dunno if it has been listed already). Quoting from aSoS (P59, US paperback0:

Pod: "...The king's wedding. King Joffrey's. Will you be strong enough to attend, my lord?"

Tyrion: "Ravening weasels could not keep me away." There was this to be said for weddings over battles, at least; it was less likely that someone would cut off your nose.

The irony, the irony :cool:

The irony, the irony :cool:

I don't get the irony in this situation. Does it have to do with Pod's comment or Tyrion's comment?

Do you mean that it is a foreshadowing of the Red Wedding?

I don't get the irony in this situation. Does it have to do with Pod's comment or Tyrion's comment?

Do you mean that it is a foreshadowing of the Red Wedding?

I think Tyrion's comment is pretty darned ironic.

1. The Red Wedding (less likely to lose your nose, but more likely to lose your head).

2. Joffrey's Wedding (Joffrey ends up dead and we know what happens to Tyrion as a result).

Archived