Favorite Character in the Series

Whiskeyjack

Jaime/Sansa seems kind of sick to me, considering that Jaime is like 40 and Sansa is like 15. I know, I know, different social norms of the time and whatnot, but the characters just seem so far apart in mental age too.

My favorite POV characters are

Arya (she doesn't get enough love imo!)

Daenerys

Tyrion (although I think he needs more body image issues to be realistic)

I also liked Catelyn and Eddard before they died, and I like reading Sansa chapters and would like Jaime more if he weren't so crude. And I like Sam, Cersei, and Brienne for their storylines if not their characters. I'm actually kind of bitter at George for making the only self-declared feminist so over the top stupid. I mean, really? And the other women's rights supporter, Arianne, is a bit simple too. George, I really hope your point is not what I think it is.

Bran and Jon are flat to me, but I think I'm the minority here (and Jon has potential). And I like Asha more from Theon's POV than her own.

My favorite non-POV character is Sandor. I also like the Sand sibs and Jaqen H'ghar and I REALLY liked Oberyn before he went and died on us.

I should post this now because it's getting long enough to defy the point of "favorite."

Tyrion and Arya are def my favorite POV characters, I just love the frankness and directness about the world and human nature that comes across in their POVs.

I'm also very fond of the Old Bear, Jeor Mormont and I enjoy the character of Littlefinger quite a bit as well.

- Non-POV (and my absolute favourites):

The Blackfish

The Hound

Jorah Mormont

- POV:

Jaime Lannister

Tyrion Lannister

Arya Stark / Brienne of Tarth

- Special Dead Legend Mention: Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning.

It's easier to explain the POVs. I love Jaime's journey of growth and awareness. Tyrion is a joy to read, and I cheered for his gentlemanly behaviour towards Sansa. I'm not sure between Arya and Brienne; they both have a story of growing up which is not over yet (at least I hope so).

I think I have problems in choosing a favourite, because I don't really trust GRRM... I feel he cheats, in a good (?) way; he cheated me with Jaime, and I was very happy to discover Jaime was not a one-dimensional villain, but now I'm leery of getting attached to other characters, because I frankly fear what GRRM might do with them.

The non-POVs... ah, that was a heated battle. Jorah came out on top even before I started reading, because Iain Glen, who plays him in the HBO series, is one of my favourite actors. I still keep him in the list out of respect for the Mormonts, even though this particular Mormont is an airhead.

Then I discovered the Hound. He's a terrific character, so complex and tortured. Maybe I would not like having him around, but I sure enjoy reading about him and rooting for him.

The Blackfish... I don't know how he jumped to the top. But it all starts once again from before I read the series. One day my ASOIAF-addicted friends were discussing a possible costumed group. A friend looked at me and said "You could be the Blackfish." She did not offer explanations, and now I think it was not exactly complimentary, though she meant it well (quarrelsome headstrong loner... yeah, that's me.) When I got to his description in AGOT, I thought: "But he's old." Then I saw Amok's portrait and saw there was some serious badassery there. And he is still growing on me by the minute. Hence the nickname.

Ser Arthur Dayne... sorry, I'm a sucker for perfect knights.

I just read this whole thread and only saw three other people who mentioned my own favorite, Varys.

He seems to be the least self-serving person in the whole series, to the point that he's given up on honor, reputation, friends, and even self-respect. Everything he does is for peace and the common good. He does have an axe to grind when it comes to magic, but it's justified, and it's like his Batman origin story.

I just appreciate his sense of right -- a safe and stable kingdom, at all costs -- over Ned Stark's useless honor. Varys is an idealist despite seeing the world for how ugly it really is, and he does what he has to do, without fretting over his personal honor.

• 6 months later...

It seems kind of weird but I can't think of who my favorite character would be. It has been a few years since I read any of the books but I can mostly only think of characters I don't like.

If pressed, I would probably say Jon although for some reason I don't want to. I also like Davos Seaworth quite a bit.

Sandor Clegane is becoming a very interesting character to me also, but I can't say I really like him or that he is my favorite.

I guess I would define favorite as the one I want to read about the most and who I root for the most and that would probably have to be Jon.

Daenerys, of course.

With other characters I have radically changed my opinions from positive to negative or in the reverse (or swung up and down rapidly), but I've consistently found Dany to be compelling to read about, as well as an awesome leader and person (even if I totally understand those who think that the setting is a bit racist and that her villians are all ridiculous caricatures).

POV:

1. Tyrion

2. Theon Greyjoy

3. Eddard

Non-POV:

1. Sandor Clegane

2. Jaqen H'ghar

I hate many characters but here are a few that come to mind: Sansa, Joffrey, Dany and Lysa Arryn.

I'm only about halfway through A Clash of Kings so it's likely this list won't be accurate soon.

Jon Snow 1st. Arya 2nd. The Hound/Tyrion 3rd. I already explained how I think the Hound and Tyrion have alot of parallels.

I just got done rereading ASOS. I am working my way through AFFC now.

I really like Doran Martell, but I just haven't read enough of him to rank him. If Garlan Tyrell had a POV he might rank as well.

Archived