Is Brienne going to kill stannis?

Stag_legion

When does any character in GoT / ASOIAF accomplish their goals? For all of the people who want to murder Lannisters, the Lannisters are only killed by each other and their allies. For all the people that have tried to murder Starks, quite a few Starks are alive.

There are three options: Stannis survives the series, Stannis is killed by Brienne, Stannis is killed by something other than Brienne. If Stannis' dies, his death scene is going to be an important event in both the show and books. The show generally sticks close to GRRM's vision for the important events.

So maybe Brienne somehow kills Stannis in the books, and the show is just diverging from the books in getting to that point. Or maybe Brienne's hate of Stannis will provide some character motivation this season but she'll be unsuccessful. Who knows. But you should never bet on Brienne getting what she wants.

It wouldn't surprise me if they changed Stannis' death or even killed him off earlier. I get the vibe that the showrunners don't like him to the point where I can't find any non book merchandise for him online like with other characters. On the HBO store there's a Tarth shirt but nothing involving Stannis's flaming stag and there's not vinyl figure for anyone in his camp.

^ Re: Merchandise: I dunno about the HBO shops at the moment (I mostly buy HBO stuff from amazon / ebay / third-party supplier), but I have this Stannis-Merch, the black shirt, key chain and pin is from HBO.

And I have this poster (the first one)

Oh, and there's going to be a Stannis Funko POP figure in Oct. (look for my post)

Honestly I find brienne a tiring character both in the books and show. Her naive idealism gets pretty boring, even more so because her idealism is so selective and stupid. If she was really trying to make a positive contribution to the realm she would have declared for stannis long ago, even while renly was alive or joined the BWB. Instead she wants to avenge renly who had it coming when he declared himself king and wants to rescue stark girls even though once she does that she is in no position to protect them or take care of them.

The only positive thing she ever did was evolve jaime's character but that was it.

When she said this "... Stannis Baratheon is a man. And a man can be killed...", she looked REALLY meaningfully at the fire, and the scene ended with her poking at the embers - And we have shots of a burning camp with burning tents (and snow in the background) in the S5 trailers and teasers... :(

Any opinion now on the fire "foreshadowing"? Anyone?

Honestly I find brienne a tiring character both in the books and show. Her naive idealism gets pretty boring, even more so because her idealism is so selective and stupid. If she was really trying to make a positive contribution to the realm she would have declared for stannis long ago, even while renly was alive or joined the BWB. Instead she wants to avenge renly who had it coming when he declared himself king and wants to rescue stark girls even though once she does that she is in no position to protect them or take care of them.

The only positive thing she ever did was evolve jaime's character but that was it.

For me, book!Brienne is actually one of my Top 10 favourite characters (Stannis is #2, or tied with Davos #1; and she's probably #7 or #8), but I'm really not fond of show!Brienne since S4 (loved her in S3).

Any opinion now on the fire "foreshadowing"? Anyone?

D & D don't do subtle after the red wedding. SO that is one reason I am concerned hence the thread. But I m hoping I m wrong.

The burning in the trailer could have been due to many reasons, might be a Bolton covert attack, or the ironborn.

^ Re: Merchandise: I dunno about the HBO shops at the moment (I mostly buy HBO stuff from amazon / ebay / third-party supplier), but I have this Stannis-Merch, the black shirt, key chain and pin is from HBO.

And I have this poster (the first one)

Oh, and there's going to be a Stannis Funko POP figure in Oct. (look for my post)

You don't know how happy this made me. October can't come soon enough.

Why do you like her? I don't personally get it.

I like her for her stubbornness, her idealism, for being a refreshing exception of all the "cliche super-badass woman fighters" (talking about book!Brienne here!). Like, on the outside one would think she's like Arya, but on the inside she's much more Sansa. I like her naivety (though she's learning and seeing more and more things with every new books), her quite idealistic view of chivalry, her honour and loyalty.

She's not exactly a super interesting and thrilling character, but like e.g. Davos and Sam, one of the most caring and nicest ones, and also very relatable (IMO).

And GRRM did well with the themes of being a true knight, vows, honour, aso. in her and Jaime's storyline.

However -as I said above- I still love Stannis much more, and he's a muuuch more interesting character for me (One could say, Brienne/Davos/Sam is that type of character I'd appreciate and love as person in Real Life, Stannis is that type of character I appreciate and love as character in literature) - And I don't even want to consider him being killed by Brienne...

Btw, for what it's worth, I think Stannis and Brienne share quite some traits with each other, like their stubbornness, their extreme determination, dutifulness, and a black/white-ish-view that comes along with a great amount of idealism (a very different kind of idealism, but still).

D & D don't do subtle after the red wedding. SO that is one reason I am concerned hence the thread. But I m hoping I m wrong.

The burning in the trailer could have been due to many reasons, might be a Bolton covert attack, or the ironborn.

Yeah, it could be many things...

The thing with D&D is, they either throw you with your noise on a fact (or similar) and have no subtlety at all (e.g. making Olly killing Ygritte as obvious as possible), OR they include zero foreshowding and so, for the sake of "OMG, shock effect!"

What if the show is reminding us that Brienne wants to kill Stannis because it is important to an upcoming conflict for her character. What if show Sansa asks Brienne to get Stannis to Winterfell and assist him in rescuing her from the Boltons - Brienne will have to decide between her original vow of vengeance to Renley or her second vow of loyalty to Cat, making Briiene more interesting than the do good thug that always seems to fail.

It would be an idiotic move. The worst they could ever make, they can't be that stupid. Seriously, does anyone in the world give a damn about avenging Renly? I hope she ends up teaming up with Stannis to take down the Boltons.

It's not about what we want though. Did anyone want Ned executed? This has never been a show where our favourite characters live just because.

Anyway, I can also see her take the place of Davos and go in search of Rickon. When Theon gets to Stannis' camp he tells them that he didn't kill the Starks. Stannis' has Mel look into the fire to search for them the same way she did Gendry and finds Rickon.

After that scene I was sure that Brienne is going to have to side with Stannis so she can achieve her vow to keep Sansa safe, it was just a reminder that she hates Stannis and what a difficult decision it will be once she decides.

That, or enter Winterfell somehow and take Mances/Spearwifes role alongside Podrick. It even fits with the Boltons doing horrible things to nice people.

Basically anything but Brienne killing Stannis.

What if the show is reminding us that Brienne wants to kill Stannis because it is important to an upcoming conflict for her character. What if show Sansa asks Brienne to get Stannis to Winterfell and assist him in rescuing her from the Boltons - Brienne will have to decide between her original vow of vengeance to Renley or her second vow of loyalty to Cat, making Briiene more interesting than the do good thug that always seems to fail.

And finally she might remember Jaime

So many vows... they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or the other.

I do SO wish for Brienne to kill Stannis. For me, two things are certain: 1) Brienne is going to fulfill one of her oaths, one way or another (and revenging Renly is the one underlying everything, thus the most important) 2) Stannis is going to die. Probably not yet, but he is. He was doomed the moment he let Mel kill his brother. --- I would love these two points to come together, like, just before the final battle or so.

Archived