Why the South Matters

dsug

As much as we all love the civil wars and the intrigue and the politics the series is famous for, there are a lot of readers that seem to share this sentiment: they don't matter. With the obvious and impending threat of the Others, many believe that the Iron Throne is an afterthought in the grand scheme of things. 

While I believe that the Long Night is coming with a vengeance, it's not the end of the world. After all the dust, or in our case, snow, settles, there's still going to be the question of "whos in charge now." Even though the Littlefingers, Olennas, and Cerseis of the story probably won't have a significant role in the War for the Dawn, they will still leave lasting political impacts that the seven kingdoms will have to deal with after driving away the Others.  Now everybody needs to figure out Who's in charge of what. 

For all we know, Cersei will burn KL to ash and leave Daenerys/Aegon/whoever nowhere to rule from. The War she and Littlefinger will have lasting implications. The Tyrells will attach themselves to anyone more powerful than them. Varys will always scheme and whisper. The Long Night will pass. But power is forever. 

Thoughts?

Well, the struggle for power was greatly expanded. If anything, in the original outlines, Daenerys would win it pretty quickly and would have trouble keeping it… and then the Winter comes.

Still, GRRM showed that he doesn't want to say "the evil was defeated and the ruler was wise". So we probably will see the struggle for Westeros after the Other invasion… and, knowing Westeros, quite possibly during the invasion too.

I think the frustration some of the readers have lies in the sheer fact that there are just too many partys involved in the power struggle. By AFFC, there are so many players involved (and so many POVs that have no purpose expect showing more facettes of the world, I assume a lot of them will die in TWOW) that it is hard to keep track on who wants what because of what. The fight against the others on the other hands is fairly black and white: good against evil. Easier to follow...

The South is far more interesting than the events at the Wall or in Essos. In fact the Northern characters such as Ned, Arya, Sansa Cat and Robb all become far more interesting when they are in the South. Even Sam seems to liven up once he got to the Reach. Yet the further North Bran goes the more boring his story becomes.

33 minutes ago, DasallmaechtigeJ said:

I think the frustration some of the readers have lies in the sheer fact that there are just too many partys involved in the power struggle. By AFFC, there are so many players involved (and so many POVs that have no purpose expect showing more facettes of the world, I assume a lot of them will die in TWOW) that it is hard to keep track on who wants what because of what. The fight against the others on the other hands is fairly black and white: good against evil. Easier to follow...

Dont think the Other conflict is Black and white. Eventually we will find out that the Others have some reasons for what they are doing. 

Archived