[Spoilers] Rickon/Shaggydog Theory "Stark in Winterfell" - Pros and Cons

bashford427

So I know this has been discussed, but......

I think the fShaggydog theory has more merit than wishful thinking.  Because it's unoriginal, it would be an exact mirror to Manderly presenting a ruse in the form of Davos's head.  I would really like to think that the Umbers have not truly betrayed the Starks.  They were loyal, even in the show.  

Also, I think everyone assumes that there will be "a Stark in Winterfell" at the end of the series.  I always thought this would be Rickon, as he is approximately 4 years old in the book, and would kind of hide in the background until the end.  Sansa's child wouldn't be a true Stark, neither would Jon (technically, he would be a Targ), Arya and Bran seem unlikely.  Rob is dead.  That leaves Rickon.

However, Martin has said that originally, the main characters of the series were Arya, Bran, Jon, Dany, and Tyrion.   Conveniently, if ShaggyDog is dead, the only direwolves who remain are for the main characters, and obviously we have a few living dragons for the other two.

If ShaggyDog is indeed dead, I think Rickon is toast.  Especially the uneventful way the direwolf died, off screen three years after the fact.  If Rickon amounts to anything plot wise, his direwolf deserved a little better than that.  

That leaves the question, if Rickon is not going to be the "stark in winterfell", who will be?  Or will there even be one?

Apparently, Jonny Snow/Stark will become the Lord of Winterfell/King in the North after defeating Ramsay Bolton and his 20 Good Men (make that 18 since Brienne the Brute killed a couple of them trying to rescue Sansa) with his army of Noble-Savage Wildlings. He'll probably meetup with Sansa, Theon, Brienne on the way to Winterfell and marry Sansa for all we know... <_<

Rickon's such a wild card right now. He's a Stark by name, but...does he have any idea what that means? He had the least opportunity of all the kids to exist in the world where Stark values are the norm, so internally I think he's probably less of a Stark, or has less of an understanding of what being a Stark means. 

So far, the Starks we know have all been immensely loyal and honorable. Wouldn't it make for a nice change of pace if Rickon turns out to be a total jerk with no sense of honor? ;)

5 hours ago, SamuelVimes said:

Rickon's such a wild card right now. He's a Stark by name, but...does he have any idea what that means? He had the least opportunity of all the kids to exist in the world where Stark values are the norm, so internally I think he's probably less of a Stark, or has less of an understanding of what being a Stark means. 

So far, the Starks we know have all been immensely loyal and honorable. Wouldn't it make for a nice change of pace if Rickon turns out to be a total jerk with no sense of honor? ;)

That would be interesting.

I think Ramsay is going to be playing a flaying game with Rickon this episode and he will be forced to flay Osha. Maybe flaying tied in with a bit of nudity & sex just because..

I'm really hoping that this Rickon thing is the tv show's way of introducing The Great Northern Conspiracy.  There's never going to be a way to present the book version in a fast/interesting enough way for a serial tv show, but this version could do the trick.  Perhaps we learn that secretly the Umbers and the Karstarks are pretending to ally with Ramsay so that they can get in and using Rickon as their Trojan Horse.  Having no idea/control over the doings of Jon Snow, they're using the Stark they have to take back Winterfell and return the rightful heir to the seat of Warden Of The North (whilst ensuring lots of favor and control from their restored Warden).

I dont think its possible Umbers are scheming against Ramsey. Its too risky bringing their lord to the psychopathic murderer, who could just immediately flay or kill him. Most likely, there wont be any conspiracy. Stark loyalist will join Jon and siding Umbers with Ramsey is just an excuse to get him another Stark to torment. They've chosen Umbers, because it could make sense in terms of wildings invasion.

Archived