Gerion Lannister

White Lion

I know it's not exacty a hot topic, but it'd be cool to see a bit more data on Tywin's brother Gerion and his (presumably) doomed quest to Valyria. What sort of fellow he was, why he went adventuring, what kind of force he took with him (just a crew, or any knights or men-at-arms), etc.

Maybe even some idea of how far he got.... ;) It's these little throwaway tidbits that give GRRM's world such an impression of life.

I'm betting that he got as far as Slavers Bay, then he met Euron Greyjoy, and Euron got to play alittle bit more with a Lannister.

By the timeline, Uncle Gerry had been several years gone by the time Euron was exiled. This exactly the kind of stuff it would be interesting to know, though. In a happy world, he'd turn up with Brightroar and pledge his sword to Dany... but as we all know, this ain't a happy world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love to hear more about Gerion.

I featured him as a character in one of my mafia games as a crazy pirate captain. It's not SO far from the truth, I hope. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wouldn´t it be a BIT more plausible for the corsair king to be Euron Crow´s Eye? :P

I thought the same thing till I re-read the chapter last night. The Slaver says the Corsair king was in Astapor 3 days earlier. Then Balon Greyjoy dies a few chapters later. It doesnt seem like theres enouhg time for him to have gotten from Astapor to the Iron Isles but I could be wrong.

Since Gerion was missing for a very long time he is most probable long dead unless he has some unknown reason to hide from everyone. If he was captured by somebody them they would go for ransom.

• 3 months later...

My hope is that Gerion is a badass and he meets Dany. A Lannister is still a Lannister. Gerion with Brightroar and huge following runs into Dany with Euron's fleet and three halfgrown dragons. Then the fun begins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a suspicion...

I think that Euron Greyjoy met Gerion Lannister in the Slavers' Bay. Euron led Silence and a few other ships into Gerion's base. I think that Gerion is the corsair king, and he is hiding in the broken isles around Old Valyria. He's managed to attract help from pirates in the Slaver's Bay and he's looking for treasure in Valyria.

I have a guess, that he's going to come into the North as the Others reach the Wall, and with the help of some Ibbenese, equip ALL of his men with dragonglass which he found in Valyria. He comes in, pwnz the Others, accepts Stannis as rightful king, and pulls off what Victarion Greyjoy did to Lannisport.

I reckon, that he has none of the famous pride of Lord Tywin, but despises him instead.

I don't think Gerion is dead. If so, why would GRRM have mentioned him with name and destination and all.

In order to add depth, flavor, and mystery to both the Lannister family and Valyria itself. I don't subscribe to the assumption that every tidbit of information has been added into the story because it will later play a significant role.

Sometimes the shotgun in the corner you see in Act 1, doesn't get fired in Act 3. Sometimes its just leaning against the wall to add flavor and dimension to the house, and give you an insight into the characters who live in the house.

I don't think Gerion is dead. If so, why would GRRM have mentioned him with name and destination and all.

To tease us? To give a bit more depth to the Lannister family? To demonstrate that fantasy fetch-quests don't always succeed? I was leaning towards the 'Gerion is dead and is the Sailor's Wife's lost husband' theory until I realized that the timeline doesn't match but I still don't think the man's alive.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone notice that one of the whores in Braavos is called "Lanna" and she has long, golden hair.

There have been instances where a child is named "Barra" (Baratheon) or "Lanna" (Lannister) to either honor or recognize one of the noble houses. Barra, for instance, was one of Robert's bastards.

So, is there a connection between Lanna's parentage and the long, lost Lannister brothers?

Archived