Is Mance Literate?

forod

12 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Yeah, and people can totally come back to life after they have been cremated (i.e, reduced to ashes). Not out of the realm of impossibility at all:rolleyes:

I wouldn't say it is likely but it is totally possible for a Targaryean to be given to the flames and rise again. It's like their whole freaking thing.

look back at my original post. I am not running gung ho off on a crazy lunatic steak demanding that this is absolutely the truth. I merely suggested that the post by wheels suggesting it was a very good and compelling post 

"I won't go as far as to say it is right but it is awfully freaking compelling"

did id you read the post? I mean I clicked the link wjgh the intention of shitting all over it and then half way through reading it j was thinking that it is possible.

there is no way george couldn't create a scenario in world where this isn't possible if he chose to. Read the post. Agree. Disagree. Hopefully we will all find out soon. But the work done in the post is absolutely top notch and not to be dismissed simply because rhaegar was killed on the trident. Or don't read it and believe what you will. Free world and all. But don't shit on other people who are having a good time discussing interesting theories in a chat group where people discuss interesting theories 

3 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I wouldn't say it is likely but it is totally possible for a Targaryean to be given to the flames and rise again. It's like their whole freaking thing.

look back at my original post. I am not running gung ho off on a crazy lunatic steak demanding that this is absolutely the truth. I merely suggested that the post by wheels suggesting it was a very good and compelling post 

"I won't go as far as to say it is right but it is awfully freaking compelling"

did id you read the post? I mean I clicked the link wjgh the intention of shitting all over it and then half way through reading it j was thinking that it is possible.

there is no way george couldn't create a scenario in world where this isn't possible if he chose to. Read the post. Agree. Disagree. Hopefully we will all find out soon. But the work done in the post is absolutely top notch and not to be dismissed simply because rhaegar was killed on the trident. Or don't read it and believe what you will. Free world and all. But don't shit on other people who are having a good time discussing interesting theories in a chat group where people discuss interesting theories 

I did. It is impossible, because GRRM himself has mentioned that he was cremated.

I'd be inclined to believe that Targaryens could be reconstituted from ashes if we have a precedence of some magic like this. But no, forget Targs, we haven't heard of any magical faction (Westeros or Essos) which could reconstitute bodies from ashes. Nothing at all.

As for Dany's miracle of surviving the fire, GRRM has again gone on record mentioning that it was a one-time thing, she wouldn't be able to repeat it even if she wanted to. It's not like all Targaryens are miraculously immune to fire, even Dany herself isn't.

5 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I'd be inclined to believe that Targaryens could be reconstituted from ashes if we have a precedence of some magic like this. But no, forget Targs, we haven't heard of any magical faction (Westeros or Essos) which could reconstitute bodies from ashes. Nothing at all.

I agree that this is pretty damning. Then again, if I told you after AGOT that Lord Beric would be killed 6 times and return from the dead it would have no basis.

i really am inclined to believe that Rheagar is dead. That said, j so not think it would be even a little bit difficult for george to fit this into the books. 

So yeah, do I think it is likely? No. But possible? Yeah. Absolutely.

5 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I agree that this is pretty damning. Then again, if I told you after AGOT that Lord Beric would be killed 6 times and return from the dead it would have no basis.

i really am inclined to believe that Rheagar is dead. That said, j so not think it would be even a little bit difficult for george to fit this into the books. 

So yeah, do I think it is likely? No. But possible? Yeah. Absolutely.

YOVMO, well it's a free world, and if you like the theory, that's great.:thumbsup:

From whatever I know, GRRM doesn't lie. He would avoid the question if he doesn't want to answer it, but he has never outright lied.

For example, there are SSMs asking him if Bran's flying refers to actually physically flying. He has said "no comment". 

He could have done the same when asked about Rhaegar's death. Or he could say "Keep reading", that's another common answer. Yet, he chose to tell us Rhaegar was cremated.

13 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

YOVMO, well it's a free world, and if you like the theory, that's great.:thumbsup:

From whatever I know, GRRM doesn't lie. He would avoid the question if he doesn't want to answer it, but he has never outright lied.

For example, there are SSMs asking him if Bran's flying refers to actually physically flying. He has said "no comment". 

He could have done the same when asked about Rhaegar's death. Or he could say "Keep reading", that's another common answer. Yet, he chose to tell us Rhaegar was cremated.

Agreed. Which is why, and I won't harp on it any longer, I said that I do not think it is true. However, I find it the theory very well done and interesting and opens up at least plausibility. If GRRM wants to write this as the story it will not take very much for him to fit it in in such a way that it won't contradict in universe logic or the statements he has already made. To just say it is outright impossible is, I believe, obtuse even if it is highly unlikely.

On September 3, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

I’m gonna go with the Mance is literate. Don’t know how old he was when he was taken in by the NW after the NW put a group of wildlings to sword. If Mance was taken in at ST and groomed there he had that Mallister knight, & Commander of ST who had been there 33 years and a Maester. They would want to school the boy to take the wildling outta him. Less they shoved him into manual labor like mucking stalls or Mance displayed a talent as a fighter which led to him becoming a ranger.

Then again I gotta ask myself why LC Qorgyle had Mance accompany him to WF. Did Qorgyle tell Mallister to send Mance to CB. Or is it just another nonsense situation.

If that was true then why wasn't Emmet ?? can't think of the last name taught to read and write? I think that Mance can read and write but that's because I don't believe his back story it's off in small places. 

17 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

If that was true then why wasn't Emmet ?? can't think of the last name taught to read and write? I think that Mance can read and write but that's because I don't believe his back story it's off in small places. 

I too think there is something missing from Mance's story. He is way to interested in Stark's.

I'm not sure who you are referring to with Emmet. I'm not sure about much of nuttin, truth be known. All I know is that Halfhand told Jon that Mance was the best and the worst of them.

You got any speculation you wanna share about Mance's backstory? :mellow:

17 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

Because he was not interested and did not ask for it. remember, it is middle ages before the printing press - interest in reading was not that high, it was considered unworthy of warrior by many and even many a king was illiterate (or jsut barely literate) and relied on monks to do the writing and reading for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 4:26 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

I too think there is something missing from Mance's story. He is way to interested in Stark's.

I'm not sure who you are referring to with Emmet. I'm not sure about much of nuttin, truth be known. All I know is that Halfhand told Jon that Mance was the best and the worst of them.

You got any speculation you wanna share about Mance's backstory? :mellow:

The pride and joy of east tower. When Jon gets a message from him he notes his mark on the paper but it was written by the Maester of east watch. Emmett is a iron isles bastard off a salt wife. So if Mance Rayder was taught to read and write as some think than why not as highborn as Emmett. 

There really is something fishy about his story.

Archived