Fun with Fancasts.

Lady Blizzardborn

Starting this due to an intriguing discussion on what Rhaegar should look like that seems to want to be discussed but needs it's own thread...for a while anyway. Shame on us for our weakness *bows head for all of two seconds*.

Anywho...this thread can be used for lighthearted discussion and joke casting. At the moment, I'm thinking of starting a cartoon cast, the first role of course being Dolorous Edd played by Eeyore (suggested by another use on the forum, to whom I am forever grateful).

Whatya got for fun ideas, citizens of Forumos?

Picking up on the Rhaegar theme, I've started wondering what do people think of when they consider the Targaryens as having an "otherworldly" beauty? I think maybe we each have our own ideas of that. 

It's interesting how Chris Hemsworth is consistently fancast as young Robert Baratheon, and sometimes dismissed as a possible Rhaegar for lacking the "otherwordly" quality...especially since he was so good at playing a god who was literally from an other world. But I admit to bias because when I think Young Robert, I think Henry Cavill. Black of hair, ice blue eyes. Looks great in armor, and could convincingly play Renly too.

I submit CH as a possible Daemon Targaryen (the one who married Rhaenyra) or Daven Lannister, if we can find a better Rhaegar. And on that note, I found this picture of Jared Leto looking rather Valyrian-ish and wanted to know if this was closer to the "otherworldly" look that we need in our Rhaegar?   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/366761963388057196/  

Here's another thread from Gen GoT with tons of interesting ideas for Rhaegar. 

For my part, I can see Henry Cavill as young Robert, though he strikes me more as Brandon Stark, mostly because I loved him as Charles Brandon and I have a silly fascination with Brandon Stark while I despise Robert, young and "old" one alike. 

As far as Rhaegar goes, I have come to accept the fact that there is no perfect cast for him. He is too dreamy, too mysterious. However, if I want to grasp that dreamy, otherworldly, mysterious aspect, I will pick Travis Fimmel and his blue eyes any day. One might correctly argue that maybe he is a bit old for twenty-something Rhaegar. Vikings fans would probably immediately say, okay, Alexander Ludwig then. I say nay, he did grow into Bjorn's role, but he just doesn't have what it takes to be Rhaegar. So I settled for another Alexander as my ideal Rhaegar, who has that Travis-like I'm just sitting here brooding and silently taking off your panties with my sapphire eyes gaze, Alexander Dreymon , who played Uthred in The Last Kingdom. Uthred was an insufferable twat, but he is beautiful. Just bathe the guy in a tub of bleach and you have your, at least my, perfect Rhaegar, at least as perfect as it gets.

Just think, a couple decades ago it would have been Brad Pitt as Rhaegar with little to no discussion of anyone else.

Back to the cartoon thing, I'm trying to figure out who would make the best Sansa: Ariel or Wendy? Ariel has the whole defying daddy because she loves her prince thing that Sansa does, and that idealistic streak, but Wendy is a bit more in keeping with the ladylike behavior and even temper that Sansa displays. I had a third option, but can't remember which princess or similar character it was.

4 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Picking up on the Rhaegar theme, I've started wondering what do people think of when they consider the Targaryens as having an "otherworldly" beauty? I think maybe we each have our own ideas of that. 

It's interesting how Chris Hemsworth is consistently fancast as young Robert Baratheon, and sometimes dismissed as a possible Rhaegar for lacking the "otherwordly" quality...especially since he was so good at playing a god who was literally from an other world. But I admit to bias because when I think Young Robert, I think Henry Cavill. Black of hair, ice blue eyes. Looks great in armor, and could convincingly play Renly too.

I submit CH as a possible Daemon Targaryen (the one who married Rhaenyra) or Daven Lannister, if we can find a better Rhaegar. And on that note, I found this picture of Jared Leto looking rather Valyrian-ish and wanted to know if this was closer to the "otherworldly" look that we need in our Rhaegar?   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/366761963388057196/  

Great thread.

For the record, I don't think that all Targaryens have "otherworldly" beauty - not all of them were even beautiful, some were average-looking - but I do think Rhaegar and Dany are supposed to.

Regarding what you said about Chris Hemsworth's build, it's not just his build and size but also his ruggedly handsome face, his voice - everything about him screams Robert to me rather than Rhaegar. I've seen one YT fanvideo about R+L that had clips of CH from a movie as Robert - he had darker hair there and looked perfect for young Bobby B.

The other guys mentioned for Rhaegar are closer to how I imagine him, but I can't say I can think of anyone as a perfect cast. I don't watch Vikings, so I'm not that familiar with Travis Fimmel. I've never been attracted to Jared Leto, not my type, but he does have the Rhaegarish look in that picture. Alexander Dreymon is gorgeous - I just need to try to disassociate him from Uther, LOL. Someone needs to Photoshop silver hair to one of this photos...

Regarding the conversation about Rhaegar's build from another thread, I'm sure he was quite athletic and tall, but I don't think he was as tall or as muscular and big as Robert (because it's never mentioned, and it would be if he had been). He didn't have to be as big to be a match for Robert in battle. Jaime Lannister was the best swordsman in Westeros, and he is tall but not nearly as tall and big as Robert. Arthur Dayne was never mentioned as being particularly big, either. It's not wrestling after all, things like skill, training, althleticism, horsemanship matter more than just size (and contrary to the popular misconception, medieval weapons weren't all that heavy and one didn't need incredibly strength to wield them, no more than modern firearms). And not all renowned medieval warriors were big, for instance Richard III was between 5'5" and 5'8" (probably closer to 5'5" due to scoliosis) and with a slender build, but we know (from accounts written by his enemies!) how, during his risky last charge at Bosworth, he killed Henry Tudor's standard-bearer  (William Brandon, Charles Brandon's father) and then unhorsed Tudor's bodyguard, who was 6'8" and a jousting champion, with one blow from a broken lance, before William Stanley decided to join the battle on Tudor's side and attacked and surrounded Richard and his men, and even then Richard was only killed, after losing his horse and helmet, while surrounded and fighting on foot multiple enemy men and getting about 10 different wounds to the head, by a blow from a habbard to the back of his head (as confirmed by modern phorensics!).
Sorry for the digression, but these facts are just too awesome. :)

Anyway, back to fancasting. Someone a while ago mentioned that Abbey Lee from Mad Max: Fury Road would make a good Daenerys, especially with the hair she has in that movie: http://www.ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Abbey-Lee-e1422581452451.jpg

Jason Isaacs is often fancast as prince Daemon.  I like that pick, and he's the right age for Daemon at the time of Dance of the Dragons (he's also easy to use in fanvideos due to his silver hair as Lucious Malfoy).

Speaking of Dance of the Dragons, in other YT video, Alexander Ludwig was fancast as Aemond. I really like that pick, too (too bad they couldn't photoshop an eyepatch on him in the video ;) ).

Also, who else imagines book Joffrey to look something like Ryan Philippe de-aged to about 13? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/24/6e/b4/246eb465761c762c7404216365e29edc.jpg

(I don't know how old he was in this picture, clearly much older than 13, but that's the youngest I could find)

Joffrey is supposed to have blond curls and full lips. RP was also good at pouting and playing assholes.

I adore fancasting actors in ASOIAF. Great thread!

23 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Regarding what you said about Chris Hemsworth's build, it's not just his build and size but also his ruggedly handsome face, his voice - everything about him screams Robert to me rather than Rhaegar.

Agreed, His most famous role - Thor - is so Robert-like it's hilarious. 

Which actor do you guys think would make a good Bloodraven? I've seen Jason Isaacs been fancast for him as well. (The silver hair is the reason I guess)

For cartoons:

I'd think Merida for Arya (though the hair is very different.) I like Ariel for Sansa. 

2 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I adore fancasting actors in ASOIAF. Great thread!

Agreed, His most famous role - Thor - is so Robert-like it's hilarious. 

Which actor do you guys think would make a good Bloodraven? I've seen Jason Isaacs been fancast for him as well. (The silver hair is the reason I guess)

I've imagined Paul Bettany as Bloodraven. He can play interesting and strange characters, good and bad, and he could easily be made to look like an albino (and has already, I believe? Though I haven't actually been interested enough in Dan Brown to see "Da Vinci's Code", didn't Bettany play an albino there?).

4 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

For my part, I can see Henry Cavill as young Robert, though he strikes me more as Brandon Stark, mostly because I loved him as Charles Brandon and I have a silly fascination with Brandon Stark while I despise Robert, young and "old" one alike. 

Henry Cavill is totally Brandon Stark for me. He does the "confident, suave guy" pretty well in A Man from Uncle 

I love Sarah Bolger (the Tudors) in ASOIAF fancasts as well. She's also pretty good for a young Catelyn.

4 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I've imagined Paul Bettany as Bloodraven. He can play interesting and strange characters, good and bad, and he could easily be made to look like an albino (and has already, I believe? Though I haven't actually been interested enough in Dan Brown to see "Da Vinci's Code", didn't Bettany play an albino there?).

Oh that's a good one! Yeah, I remember, he did play an albino in that movie. I barely remember how he was in the role because the movie wasn't great. The book is alright, one-time read-on-a-long flight types.

He was great in A Beautiful Mind, though. Can't remember anything else now except the Avengers...haven't a lot of his roles been voice work?

Speaking of Rhaegar, I've seen Heath Ledger been fancasted for him: http://asongoficeandfancasts.tumblr.com/tagged/Rhaegar-Targaryen-Heath-Ledger. Doesn't have the unworldly beauty, but could actually pass off as a father to Kit Harington. 

Agreed with LB, Brad Pitt in his heyday would have made the perfect Rhaegar. 

6 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Oh that's a good one! Yeah, I remember, he did play an albino in that movie. I barely remember how he was in the role because the movie wasn't great. The book is alright, one-time read-on-a-long flight types.

He was great in A Beautiful Mind, though. Can't remember anything else now except the Avengers...haven't a lot of his roles been voice work?

Speaking of Rhaegar, I've seen Heath Ledger been fancasted for him: http://asongoficeandfancasts.tumblr.com/tagged/Rhaegar-Targaryen-Heath-Ledger. Doesn't have the unworldly beauty, but could actually pass off as a father to Kit Harington. 

Agreed with LB, Brad Pitt in his heyday would have made the perfect Rhaegar. 

I don't think Paul Bettany has done any voice work other than as JARVIS in Iron Man/Avengers movies. I've first seen him in a British gangster movie called Gangster No. 1, he played the lead, who was a total bad guy, and he was brilliant in it. He was also in A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger (as a fictionalized version of Chaucer), with Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind and in A Master and Commander, in Lars von Trier's Dogville, and he had that tennis romcom Wimbledon with Kirsten Dunst... he's had some very different roles.

I know Thor is Robert, and in Snow White and the Huntsman with the dark hair, that's reinforced. But Hemsworth doesn't always look that bulked up. It depends on the role he's playing. Still I see the point about an athletic but lithe/slender Rhaegar. Also I had this idea about Chris playing Rhaegar against his little (yet taller) brother Liam as Robert. It was funny in my head...

I can sort of see Henry Cavill as Brandon Stark, except that I have the same problem with that that comes up for you and RhaegarHemsworth: I see him as too buff to play one of the long, lean Starks. And that's probably mostly because of Superman, which I haven't watched but I've seen stills from it.

Paul Bettany as Bloodraven would be awesome. I loved him as Chaucer.

Couldn't really see Ledger as Rhaegar. Something about his jawline I think. But he was an amazing actor who would have been great in the series (how about him for Jon Snow?).

Sarah Bolger would be an interesting Lyanna I think. Or even Ashara Dayne.

I remembered the other animated Sansa option: Thumbelina!

For an animated Arya I think Anna from Frozen. Darken the hair of course, but at the end when Anna punches Hans, that's such an Arya beats up Joffrey kind of moment.

Good work with Ryan Phillipe as Joffrey. Put some flowing golden curls on him and it's perfect.

23 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I know Thor is Robert, and in Snow White and the Huntsman with the dark hair, that's reinforced. But Hemsworth doesn't always look that bulked up. It depends on the role he's playing. Still I see the point about an athletic but lithe/slender Rhaegar. Also I had this idea about Chris playing Rhaegar against his little (yet taller) brother Liam as Robert. It was funny in my head...

I can sort of see Henry Cavill as Brandon Stark, except that I have the same problem with that that comes up for you and RhaegarHemsworth: I see him as too buff to play one of the long, lean Starks. And that's probably mostly because of Superman, which I haven't watched but I've seen stills from it.

Paul Bettany as Bloodraven would be awesome. I loved him as Chaucer.

Couldn't really see Ledger as Rhaegar. Something about his jawline I think. But he was an amazing actor who would have been great in the series (how about him for Jon Snow?).

That's the thing with actors being cast in superhero roles, they work out to get insanely bulky. This is Henry Cavill in the movie Immortals, lean and muscular but still not crazily beefed up as he later did for Man of Steel: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/0a/e0/2d/0ae02d46685f5b0440986dc749d24bfb.jpg

Compare it to post-workout Cavill as Superman: http://professionalfangirls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/henry-cavill-shirtless-superman.jpg

I much prefer the former look.

Heath Ledger would have made an awesome Jon Snow!

9 hours ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Henry Cavill is totally Brandon Stark for me. He does the "confident, suave guy" pretty well in A Man from Uncle 

I love Sarah Bolger (the Tudors) in ASOIAF fancasts as well. She's also pretty good for a young Catelyn.

Yeah, and he isn't simple/brutish enough for Robert. 

I wasn't a fan of Sarah Bolger, I could see her maybe as Jeyne (westerling), or possibly Gilly. 

Back to Rhaegar, neither Heath Ledger nor Jared Leto strikes me as Rhaegar. But I can see Leto as Ramsay or Roose. 

6 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, and he isn't simple/brutish enough for Robert. 

I wasn't a fan of Sarah Bolger, I could see her maybe as Jeyne (westerling), or possibly Gilly. 

Back to Rhaegar, neither Heath Ledger nor Jared Leto strikes me as Rhaegar. But I can see Leto as Ramsay or Roose. 

I don't see Leto as Roose. Ramsay... maybe. But he is nothing like the book description of Ramsay, who is a big, fleshy, ugly dude. It feels like the show has impacted fans' image of Ramsay more than any other character, because I see people constantly fancasting Ramsay (in the Cast the Actor thread, for instance) with people like Cillian Murphy or Leto and other thin, boyish, cute actors with big eyes that can look somewhat creepy.

6 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I don't see Leto as Roose. Ramsay... maybe. But he is nothing like the book description of Ramsay, who is a big, fleshy, ugly dude. It feels like the show has impacted fans' image of Ramsay more than any other character, because I see people constantly fancasting Ramsay (in the Cast the Actor thread, for instance) with people like Cillian Murphy or Leto and other thin, boyish, cute actors with big eyes that can look somewhat creepy.

To be honest I can't really separate characters' appearances from the actors who play them. I usually find it difficult to differentiate between actor and character when it comes to appearance, which is especially true for season 1 characters. (I watched season 1 before I read any of the books, so I automatically pictured those characters as the actor who plays them.) and even in later seasons, I found that my original picture of, say, Stannis faded with every episode Stephan Dillane was in. So I think it sort of makes sense that many people identify the appearance of a character with that of the actor playing them. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

To be honest I can't really separate characters' appearances from the actors who play them. I usually find it difficult to differentiate between actor and character when it comes to appearance, which is especially true for season 1 characters. (I watched season 1 before I read any of the books, so I automatically pictured those characters as the actor who plays them.) and even in later seasons, I found that my original picture of, say, Stannis faded with every episode Stephan Dillane was in. So I think it sort of makes sense that many people identify the appearance of a character with that of the actor playing them. 

I find that to be the case when show characters really look like their book counterparts, like Varys or Jaime or Jaqen. But I find it very easy to disassociate book characters from show actors when they look nothing like the book characters, like Ramsay or Tyrion or Jorah or Renly. It's especially easy when characterizations are completely different as well. For instance, I've always found it easy to separate show and book Renly, because they were completely different characters from the start, even in terms of looks and persona. It always makes me laugh that the YT highschool parody of ASOIAF/GoT, School of Thrones, had a more faithful adaptation of Renly than GoT. :D

I remember reading the book description of Renly (tall and dark haired and "the handsomest man she (Sansa) had ever seen") and being really curious who the show had cast (I read AGOT before seeing the show, but season 1 had already been broadcast), so I googled it and went: "oh. Really?" No offense to Gethin Anthony, but he's no book!Renly.

Who would you cast as Renly? There's probably quite a few movie and TV stars who fit the bill. Henry Cavill is also often fancast as Renly. I love Laurie L's Old Hollywood fancast of Cary Grant. http://lauri-l.tumblr.com/post/123138525265/asoiaf-old-hollywood-fancast-cary-grant-as-renly

Another great Old Hollywood fancast of hers is Conrad Veidt as Roose Bolton. http://lauri-l.tumblr.com/post/136645237500/asoiaf-old-hollywood-fancast-conrad-veidt-as Although I really like Michael McElhatton, since I saw that fancast Veidt has been etched into my brain as Roose.

I think one thing the show did get right is it's casting ....and in most cases, quality of acting. Guys like Charles Dance, Jack Gleeson, Michael McElhatton were so good in their roles they kind of replaced the mental image of the characters in my mind (Tywin doesn't look much like CD, for instance, Stephen Dillane doesn't have the Baratheon build, so on.)

Good call on Ryan Phillipe for Joff, Annara. Haven't seen his movies, but he looks like he could play a jerk convincingly for some reason. 

I'm putting all those Paul Bettany movies on my to-see list :D 

Renly was supposed to be very similar looking to Robert, IIRC. So if we're casting Chris Hemsworth as Bob, Liam should be Renly (looks-wise.)

Iwan Rheon was very good in his role, but he doesn't look even a bit like the book Ramsay, and in fact, it was really creepy that there were fangirls for Ramsay because of his chocolate-boy kinda looks. Book Ramsay looks like the monster he is.

16 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

I think one thing the show did get right is it's casting ....and in most cases, quality of acting. Guys like Charles Dance, Jack Gleeson, Michael McElhatton were so good in their roles they kind of replaced the mental image of the characters in my mind (Tywin doesn't look much like CD, for instance, Stephen Dillane doesn't have the Baratheon build, so on.)

Good call on Ryan Phillipe for Joff, Annara. Haven't seen his movies, but he looks like he could play a jerk convincingly for some reason. 

I'm putting all those Paul Bettany movies on my to-see list :D 

Renly was supposed to be very similar looking to Robert, IIRC. So if we're casting Chris Hemsworth as Bob, Liam should be Renly (looks-wise.)

Iwan Rheon was very good in his role, but he doesn't look even a bit like the book Ramsay, and in fact, it was really creepy that there were fangirls for Ramsay because of his chocolate-boy kinda looks. Book Ramsay looks like the monster he is.

Liam Hemsworth has the looks for Renly, but I can't see him as Renly because he's so dull and uncharismatic, both on screen (I've only seen him in The Hunger Games, but he was the weak link in those movies - Gale is supposed to be a really intense and angry guy) and off screen in every interview I've seen.

23 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Liam Hemsworth has the looks for Renly, but I can't see him as Renly because he's so dull and uncharismatic, both on screen (I've only seen him in The Hunger Games, but he was the weak link in those movies - Gale is supposed to be a really intense and angry guy) and off screen in every interview I've seen.

Yeah, exactly. He'd just be accurate looks-wise, but I really doubt he'd be able to pull off the role.

Speaking of Hunger Games, what about Sam Claflin for Renly?

I just remembered that Sam Heughan of Outlander had also auditioned for Renly. Not a bad idea, either.

Archived