What should Dany do with the Slavers after the ballte of fire?

aventador577

11 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Bueller. So genocide is acceptable when its done against evil people?

It is acceptable if the former masters continue their efforts to bring back slavery.  They can choose.  They can take the right path and help end slavery.  Those who do can adjust.  Those who continue to fight for the return of slavery deserve to die.  The choice is theirs and it always has been.  There would have been peace in slaver's bay by now if the masters had accepted the change instead of fighting it.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, Curled Finger said:

Looks like you've given this some thought.   I'm thinking there is a reason we were told about the war of the Nine Penny Kings beyond the obvious.   That heads of state in Essos aligned themselves to the Blackfyre claim indicates there is something for the Essosi to be won in Westeros.   Slaves are the thing that immediately comes to mind.    I like your reply and in no way hope to disparage your plan.  I would simply enjoy further elaboration and throw a few of my own thoughts in on them.   How could anyone but Dany win over the Dothraki, who are slavers themselves?  They aren't an enormous community.  Their history is long and rich and proud.  Their ferocity is certainly something to consider, but there has to be a way to bring the Dothraki around to disavowing their entire heritage for this to work.   Is there no other culture that could enforce the rule?  We have to keep in mind that Slavers Bay is a pretty broad area encompassing Volantis.  I read there are slave armies and compulsory service in some of the Essosi countries.   They are prohibited from maintaining their own military.  From the Unsullied to the lowest sell sword company, there is much strife among the countries comprising Slavers Bay.

Back to the War of the Nine Penny Kings...it's occurred to me that the Sons of the Harpy are actually throwbacks from the Nine Penny Kings effort.   Surely any slave master would be opposed to Dany, but Hizdar brings a 90 day peace--presumably from much higher up the power pyramid than he sits.   He knows who the Harpy is.  Could it be the Harpy is a Blackfyre?  In truth the masters should have been taken out immediately after Dany conquered Mereen, but she offered them peace which we see plainly and decisively backfire on her.  We got to sit in on a few of the audiences she granted.  Master or slave, they still couldn't get along.   The masters are crucial to the old economy--how do you convince any of them that they can attain or maintain their wealth by alternate means?   Of course, in a brave new world I suppose a case could be made for a new way of life with the slaves at least.

I rather like Varys in Kings landing and hope to see more of him there.   I get your meaning, Dany needs a Master of Whispers to keep tabs on the unrest.  The Battle for Mereen will either be important or more hopefully not, to Dany upon her return.   In fact, I hope she doesn't return at all and just gets moving the hell out of Essos.   Once the battle is fought, the dead are counted and the survivors conspire to escape I hope it is the last we see of Mereen.   Dany doesn't really have any business there.    Her attempts to rule failed and these are not her people.    

Slavery is the economy of the land.  Nobody can offer the masters an alternative way to create wealth as easy as the owning of slaves.  Hard to beat free labor.  You can't end slavery without tearing down the master class and you can't offer them an alternative.  The master have enjoyed their easy wealth and privileged lifestyle for thousands of years.  The resistance will be strong.  The masters are evil people who serve and support an evil system.  Kill them all  if it comes to it.  

Dany's rule is far from failure.  The war never really stopped.  Mereen is still a battlefield.   Finish the battle and destroy the masters who refuse to change.  Dany hasn't had a chance to rule because the war is still going.  Win the war first and then we can judge her rule. 

The slaves do everything and run everything.  The city has no need of masters.  The slaves have the skills in that society. 

On 3/30/2017 at 11:23 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Slavery is the economy of the land.  Nobody can offer the masters an alternative way to create wealth as easy as the owning of slaves.  Hard to beat free labor.  You can't end slavery without tearing down the master class and you can't offer them an alternative.  The master have enjoyed their easy wealth and privileged lifestyle for thousands of years.  The resistance will be strong.  The masters are evil people who serve and support an evil system.  Kill them all  if it comes to it.  

Dany's rule is far from failure.  The war never really stopped.  Mereen is still a battlefield.   Finish the battle and destroy the masters who refuse to change.  Dany hasn't had a chance to rule because the war is still going.  Win the war first and then we can judge her rule. 

The slaves do everything and run everything.  The city has no need of masters.  The slaves have the skills in that society. 

Yes, I'm afraid slavery was the economy of the land, hence my thinking she should have killed all the masters in the beginning.  A scourge was required to rid Mereen of it's ignorance.  I see no alternative to death for the masters.   I don't know that they are evil so much as ignorant and opportunist and selfish.   My country bears the scars of slavery and we did not kill our masters.  It took a civil war to overthrow the regional religion of slavery in the south and it was won after more destruction and death than any war fought on our land.  Ignorance and opportunism and selfishness persist here more than 200 years later, but there is no slavery and the masters learned to make their livings by employing folks.  In my country the slaves worked everything but ran nothing.   They were prohibited from learning to read or write.   That said, what are the great exports from Mereen?   All I recall are olives and slaves.  Surely Mereen has more to offer their world? 

I do recall Dany's rule in Mereen as a failure.  She brought war to Mereen and did little to protect her prize.   She's like an idealistic child who thinks "this is very bad, I shall banish it" without thinking it through.   I admit it would be impossible for me to rule over a slave economy because the idea is repugnant to me, but I would think it though.   There is a slave who asks to be permitted to sell himself back to his master as a teacher or tutor and she offers contracts instead.  That was a stroke of genius, really.   Other than this teacher I don't recall any educated slaves.   I concede that the slaves work everything, but I doubt they ever ran anything outside small manufacturing, like the weavers.  It takes power and education and knowledge to run a country.  Working and managing are 2 different things.  All in all, it was a flighty and foolish prospect to take Mereen when she made to contingency plans for Astapor.   Dany is a conqueror, not a diplomat.  

What do I think Dany should do? Well, many societies in Dany's part of the world are fundamentally slave societies. Even changing them into societies in which slavery exists, but is not the primary economic engine and does not have complete capture of the state would be a very good start to abolishing chattel slavery for good. So, I do think that if she can create a caretaker government for her current conquests that is stable and promotes other industries. That way, even if slavery is re-instituted on her death / secretly while she is away, the domination of these societies by slavery as the only major product will end, and her eventual goal of the death of the slave trade is much more attainable.

To that end, I think she should:

1. Conquer Yunkai and retake Astapor. Create some sort of aristocratic democratic government led by a Lord Mayor or something - with three cities, she's actually got very interesting chance to experiment with different systems of rule. Offer some of the noble families of Meereen to be a part of the new ruling bodies if they, their soldier, and all their wealth depart Meereen - this spreads the Meereenese aristocracy so hostile towards you among a much larger territory. The Yunkai and Astapor masters will have to be mostly destroyed, but I suspect that'll happen anyways. Once you've created a good-sized kingdom in the newly-renamed Ghiscari Bay, appoint some sort of non-feudal Lord Paramount / Warden / Justicar to hold an itinerant court, reaffirm your alliance with the Lamb Men. Trade with the Lamb Men by land is vital to building an economy where other industries can thrive. An unfortunate reality of Slaver's Bay is that the population will likely be reduced dramatically due to disease, devastation, and war - but there's a silver lining, in that the surviving workers are in a much better position to negotiate with employers.
  2. Take the rest of her khalasar, and her dragon, and force the Dothraki to bend to her, destroying any who do not. Using religion and prophecy, try to convert the Dothraki into an anti-slavery culture. This will greatly weaken the overland slave trade, and place slave societies like Qarth and Volantis in a precarious geopolitical situation. Settle some of the Dothraki in her new Kingdom of Slaver's Bay (really should work on renaming that, also) as a standing auxiliary for support your itinerant Lord Paramount / Governor.
  3. Leave an Unsullied garrison in each city of at least a thousand. Take the remaining Unsullied, Dothraki, anyone afraid of being re-enslaved, and as many Ghiscari warriors as you can manage to get to sign on for a chance of plunder, and begin your glorious liberation war / migration sweeping westwards, by sea and land. Volantis seems a pretty key target, and Pentos might make a good dropping-off point. Plus, if you go to Pentos, you can potentially arrange for a diplomatic meeting with the Braavosi to arrange another trading partner for Slaver's Bay.
  4. Once that's accomplished, Westeros is a pretty logical next target.

Archived