Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GAROVORKIN

What Are Your Favorite Weird Tales ?

41 posts in this topic

In this thread topic they can be short stories, novellas , novels and even poetry can be a vehicle for a Weird tale .  We can even throw in Graphic novels and Comic books too.B)

What are choices? B)

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, your posts are pretty weird.

True. :D

Okay  ILL start with :mellow:

The City of the Singing Flame  by Clark Ashton Smith     

Beyond the Singing Flame    by Clark Ashton Smith 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Posted (edited)

Pigeons From Hell by Robert E Howard.

it was adapted for the 1960's  horror anthology Television show Thriller  hosted by Boris Karloff B)

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Posted (edited)

The Tale of Satampra Zeiros by Clark Ashton Smith

Edited by PetrusOctavianus

It warms my heart to see the Clark Ashton Smith love.

Necromancy in Naat. An ending only Smith could have pulled off.

Posted (edited)

The Salem Horror by Henry Kuttner 

A Voice In The Night  by William Hope Hodgson    The 1963 science fiction  horror film Mantango  also know as   Attack of the Mushroom people is loosely based on this story. 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

Lovecraft: The Outsider

maybe because this was the very first weird tale in a narrower sense (other then more common/traditional spook/ghost stories) I encountered.

Then the one with the Hare's foot or whatever it was. Apparently it was something else because I cannot find it with these search words. It is a talisman that grants wishes (and they are used foolishly in the story).

I just read "Necromancy in Naat"; it's a little too close to being involuntarily silly for me. I prefer The Tale of Satampra Zeiros (read this a while ago), now checking "Singing Flame" (not sure I have read that one, probably not).

Of novellas, for sheer weirdness, I found that Blackwood's "The Willows" deserves its reputation, it is fairly slow, though.

The Sombrus Tower by Tanith Lee  A knight on a quest to reach a mysterious tower and thats as much as I will say about this one.:D

Camera Obscura   by Basil Copper.    this one was adapted for Rod Serling  tv series Night Gallery.     

20 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Then the one with the Hare's foot or whatever it was. Apparently it was something else because I cannot find it with these search words. It is a talisman that grants wishes (and they are used foolishly in the story).

I just read "Necromancy in Naat"; it's a little too close to being involuntarily silly for me. I prefer The Tale of Satampra Zeiros (read this a while ago), now checking "Singing Flame" (not sure I have read that one, probably not).

The Monkey's Paw?

The House on the Borderland  by William Hope Hodgson .  I would so love to see a film adaptation of this one.

8 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The House on the Borderland  by William Hope Hodgson .  I would so love to see a film adaptation of this one.

The Night Land by Hodgson is also pretty weird but substantially longer and a really chore to get through

Posted (edited)

The Red Swimmer by Robert Bloch 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The Night Land by Hodgson is also pretty weird but substantially longer and a really chore to get through

The main problem with the Night Land is the pseudo archaic wring style  Hodgson chose to write with. It ruins what could have been a pretty good book. The Imagery of that dark earth is quite interesting , there is an illustrated version of the The Nightland that can be found  online .   Ive seen mention of a book a called The Nighland Retold by James Stoddard

43 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The main problem with the Night Land is the pseudo archaic wring style  

That, and the ludicrous love story.

Absolutely amazing setting though.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

That, and the ludicrous love story.

Absolutely amazing setting though.

Its flaws keep it from being a great book.

Edited by GAROVORKIN

18 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

The Monkey's Paw?

of course!

I have one fat pbck volume of Hope Hodgson but being not really enthusiastic about the two I read (ghost pirates and the one with the shipwreck in the country of strange monsters that pound things to pulp) and not sure I can take the archaic style, I hesitated about trying the othes, especially "The Night Land".