Walder Frey says that he hosted three Kings at the Twins. Who were they?

Lee-Sensei

7 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

We know that Dunk and Egg spend some time in the Riverlands, and there's speculation about them having an involvement in an incident at Pennytree. It wouldn't be surprising if the Freys were mixed up in that as well, though it's in lands disputed by the Brackens and Blackwoods. 

Since that likely happens shortly after Whitewalls, Walder would still be the toddler we met in TMK. At this age he won't play the host for a king. And King Aerys I would most likely not leave his scrolls long enough to travel to the Twins, let alone spend any time there.

7 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I always found really strange that he named his son after someone who was regarded as weak ruler. It's also possible that Emmon is variation of Aemon.

It is an odd choice for a name, but one assumes it was still chosen because it was the name of a Targaryen king. Still, it is odd that George didn't include any other Aenys Targaryens. King Aenys may not have been the greatest king alive, but he wasn't the worst, either, and he is the father of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne. At least one of their sons should have been named after their father, and from there the name could have been used later on, too.

7 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Interestingly, it might make more sense if Aenys Frey was named after Aenys Blackfyre, who was executed maybe seven years before Aenys Frey was born...

That would be very odd considering that Aenys Blackfyre was somewhat of an oddball himself. He wasn't the recognized Blackfyre pretender, and he died in a way that doesn't make it likely anyone would want to remember him.

And I don't think Walder was stupid enough to back the Black Dragon in 236 AC. His dad might have been stupid enough to back Haegon in 219 AC, but Walder wouldn't be that stupid.

11 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That would be very odd considering that Aenys Blackfyre was somewhat of an oddball himself. He wasn't the recognized Blackfyre pretender, and he died in a way that doesn't make it likely anyone would want to remember him.

And I don't think Walder was stupid enough to back the Black Dragon in 236 AC. His dad might have been stupid enough to back Haegon in 219 AC, but Walder wouldn't be that stupid.

I've started a separate thread about this

Archived