HBO series a real possibilty? HELL YEAH!

Kat

Link here

Variety article

And here I thought the best news coming out of Hollywood was that Lost potentially has an ending and the writers were discussing, er, plot arcs. :P

HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

"Fire" is the first TV project for Benioff ("Troy") and Weiss ("Halo") and will shoot in Europe or New Zealand. Benioff and Weiss will write every episode of each season together save one, which the author (a former TV writer) will script.

Three of many thoughts:

1) I'm thrilled.

2) I think it's weird the rights were bought before the series was done. I doubt they'll start any work on it until GRRM is done with the books, anyways, so we'll looking onto a distant horizon right now.

3) I'm a bit put off that the Variety report -- looking plucked from a Press Release -- transposes Fire and Ice. Not a good sign.

Is that article for REAL!? Is this set in stone that it is going to happen in a few years, or just RUMINT? Awwww, the suspense is killing me!

I hope so. I know nothing about the entertainment industry--wish Iseult was here--but IIRC, the TV people are all having secret meetings right now, so it doesn't surprise me that an announcement would come out right now.

*checks date. Nope, not April yet.*

Heh...I just linked through to the CHUD Forums connected through Kat's first link. I came across this gem from some poster:

"I vaguely remember hearing that these books made for better reading than the usual "Gayron the Dragon Slayer" stuff, but isn't George Martin also an unbearable objectivist asshole? What little exposure I've had to him makes him come off as pretty obnoxious, anyway"

Classic. He's mixed up our GRRM for none other than Terry Goodkind.

In an indirectly related note, one thing this series will do, should it ever come to fruition, is massively expand GRRM's exposure and we'll have to deal with a crazy influx of opinions from people who've never even read the books...

I guess Tolkien fans had to deal with that after the LOTR movies...

Oh, man, the Red Wedding is going to destroy so many people who haven't read the books...or hell, Ned...:(

And I'm going to love every minute of it (provided its faithful)

Will Ran have to create spoiler-free TV series sub-forums? I can picture a lot of assholes jumping around shrieking "Ned's gonna die!" all over teh internets.

Oh. My. God!

I don't know whether to hyperventilate with excitement or curl into a ball in fear of it being awful.

Is this actually going to happen or have they just acquired the rights and it's going to flounder in Development Hell for years?

"I vaguely remember hearing that these books made for better reading than the usual "Gayron the Dragon Slayer" stuff, but isn't George Martin also an unbearable objectivist asshole? What little exposure I've had to him makes him come off as pretty obnoxious, anyway"

Classic. He's mixed up our GRRM for none other than Terry Goodkind.

:o

:cry:

Will Ran have to create spoiler-free TV series sub-forums? I can picture a lot of assholes jumping around shrieking "Ned's gonna die!" all over teh internets.

Oh dear....our own version of the obnoxious pricks who thought posting "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!!1" in every nook and cranny was the epitome of comedy, and then the emo whiners who followed thinking that this was the internet version of 9/11 in terms of awfulness. I wish I was making that last bit up, but I'm not kidding.

Anyway....New Zealand. May someone else can answer this, but is NZ officially the Alternate Universe of this planet? I mean...do they even film non-fantasy movies there? (I have to admit, the rocks are pretty awesome.)

Anyway....New Zealand. May someone else can answer this, but is NZ officially the Alternate Universe of this planet? I mean...do they even film non-fantasy movies there? (I have to admit, the rocks are pretty awesome.)

I would think it would be cheaper -- and better -- to shoot ASOIAF in Eastern Europe than NZ. A lot of movies are shot in Romania. The key difference is that Romania has castles -- in NZ you'd have to fabricate more sets. Not a big deal for Jackson's LOTR, since the architecture veered from your basic medieval template, but for ASOIAF you want real stone castles. And shooting in Eastern Europe would be the easiest way to get real castles cheap.

In my vain attempt to head of the "cast this random famous actor as Loras discussion", a little reminder that no one had heard of Gandolfini before Sopranos or Ian McShane before Deadwood. The cast will be no names -- with one possible exception -- Ned Stark. Since they wouldn't have to pay a star for seven seasons, just 3/4!

(Disclaimer: all of this is assuming that the article is true)

I think that it is a good sign that HBO bought the rights before the series is finished--it shows that they realize the significance of ASoIaF! I am waiting with extreme nervousness, however--there are just too many things that could go wrong:

1) I think that our character lists will probably be scrapped in lieu of cheaper actors--quite possibly many will be British ala Rome and 300

2) CGI will play a BIG part in the series: dragons, battles (not gonna pay 50,000 extras!), castles, Others, direwolves(will be especially hard since they don't exist, yet are major characters who interact with the Starks often), the Wall, Mammoths, giants, snarks, grumkins(lol), ship battles, flyovers of nonexisting lands and cities ect. So that portion has to be done right

3) Most of the characters have to be included--this will require ALOT of actors/actresses who will have pages and pages of scenes and lines. I don't know of a current series with that amount of main actors (Lost maybe), but this also is set in a Medieval fantasy world, which will make the characters that much harder to establish and develop

4) You have characters that are a NIGHTMARE to cast: Gregor, Sandor, Cersei, Jamie, Jon, Greatjon ect.-- I think I speak for us all when I say that there will be alot of remotes flying at the TV if these characters are not similar to the ones pictured in our minds (Gregor/Greatjon: Monstrous size, Sandor as well--to a slightly lesser extent, Cersei must be beautiful with cunning and wit--needs an experienced actress, Jon must be of proper age with alot of depth and range (if they cast Anakin from Star Wars I'm gonna be pissed!).

5) Also, all the armor, and weapons and horses and costumes--outfitting the cast will be costly and time consuming as well ex: LoTR

6) The cast need to be able to ride and look believable fighting with weapons that have not existed in hundreds of year.

Ghaaa, I'm getting a headache just thinking of the SCOPE of this thing!

I'll definately agree with this. Not only is it cheaper to shoot in Kiwi land, but it's famous for being the place in the world with the widest range of terrain in the smallest space: Mountains, beach, plains, forest, desert(?), rocky shores, sandy shores and overall breathtaking scenery.

Archived