HBO series a real possibilty? HELL YEAH!

Kat

This is great news, although I take with a huge pinch of salt the quote by Variety that the series will be finished by 2011.

"Rome"'s two series are both twelve episodes long, which I think is probably too few to do justice to some of the books (not that we on this board are biased, oh no - but we would like to see everything in the books on the screen). Same goes for Six Feet Under.

Looking forward to this immensely.

Aratan

We half jokingly ask where we can send out casting threads to, but the producers would be foolish not to look at threads like these. Not as a list of who to cast, but as an indication of what images the fans have of the chars.

Amok has some pretty good description of what they could look like too. Though I will not mind if their appearance is a bit off as long as they get actors who are able to match the personalites of the characters.

Ha, I guess I lucked out (I'm on charlie time), cuz its in the evening here. I feel sorry for you poor bastards in the States:(

Anyways, Peter Dinklage would be excellent for Tyrion! He's the only dwarf I've seen who has actually made himself a good enough actor to be a leading role--if you've ever seen Find Me Guilty then you'd understand!

For those of you who think that the scale of this would not be as difficult, or on as big a scale as LOTR, then I'm going to have to disagree. I would argue the opposite--this series is so much longer, with more leading roles, and arguably as many or more nonexistent animals. There would have to be pleanty armor and weapons created. Nonexistent cities and castles(or at least portions, the full shots would have to be CGI) have to be constructed. And don't forget about the casting of the behemoth characters!

As for NZ, it's not so much the specific kind of landscape that it has, it's the fact that it is all in the SAME PLACE. This, along with certain NZ laws and currency exchange makes shooting epics much more cost effective. This prevents shooting in England for Winterfell, New Mexico for Dorne, the Caribbean for the Summer Islands, Scotland for the Iron Islands, Russia or Canada for Beyond the Wall, South Carolina for the Neck and KL, and so on. Also, it would probably be best to knock one or two seasons out at a time, rather than shoot episode-episode.

I dunno, this stuff is kind of off the top of my head from what I've read and seen of the undertaking of the nightmare that went into the production of LOTR, since that is the closest resembling project to the presumed one at hand. Just opinion, take it for what you will.

First off,

:stunned: Holy Crap. I don't even know what to say. In every discussion I've ever read on this board about a film/TV adaptation of this series, the ultimate conclusion was that it's too long for film, to expensive/violent/sexual/strange for network/cable TV, and that only HBO could ever do it right.

Talk about the perfect scenario.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but damn.

And my second reaction while reading the article..

...will be finished by 2011

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

although, maybe with an HBO deal looming over him GRRM will be writing a bit faster. As if the pressure from his fans and publisher wasnt' enough already. :P

OK, how many of you are hitting "refresh" constantly on georgerrmartin.com?

If only I knew when he normally gets up. :lol: I imagine he'll hear that the news has broken very quickly. I wonder did he expect to keep it hidden for a while.

And yes, you can't use Variety as an estimate of when the series would be finished. I do think its another indication that its going to be a 7 book series though. And i'm sure each book could be reasonably adapted in 12 episodes (sure there will be sacrifices but HBO is not required to shoot every page). I can't imagine the season would go beyond that.

Variety says that the series will shoot in NZ or Europe, so there is clearly a lot to be decided yet.

If it doesn't find its way over to the Isles, I think i'll go to America to watch it.

:lol: We could arrange quite a big gathering for the showing of the first episode.

For those of you who think that the scale of this would not be as difficult, or on as big a scale as LOTR, then I'm going to have to disagree.

Sure, by the very fact that there will be more filmtime means that it will be to a bigger scale. But people were more debating how much CGI would have to be thrown into the production. And while the dragons/direwolves are prominent, they are far less otherworldly beings compared to LotR. Weapons/ old cities have all been done in things like Rome before, so its not that different. Getting the characters right will be the big thing.

Well I think Rome is excellent, but overall its a failure. For this series to last it has to be a moneymaker too. Gotta keep the costs down - probably by keeping the filming local if possible.

Sad to see my site will become obsolete, but WHO THE HELL CARES?! OH MY GOD! I haven't been this excited about something in weeks, nay, years! THIS IS AMAZING! DANCE AND REJOICE!!

Look at it as the site having fulfilled its purpose.

And while the dragons/direwolves are prominent, they are far less otherworldly beings compared to LotR.

Actually, couldn't the direwolves just be filmed with trained siberian huskies and camera tricks? Sort of like a canine version of how they did the hobbits in LOTR.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Seriously...I wonder how they plan to handle the fact that, the children in the novels (Bran, Sansa, Arya, etc.) age FAR less over the course of the books than they would in real life?

And what about Danni? I mean...in the first book we're talking about a CHILD who basically gets ravaged by her savage of a husband. I know it's HBO and all, but they're going to HAVE to make her older I would assume.

And what about Danni? I mean...in the first book we're talking about a CHILD who basically gets ravaged by her savage of a husband. I know it's HBO and all, but they're going to HAVE to make her older I would assume.

Apparently this sort of thing is legal if they use body doubles. Wether or not the network would chicken out, however, I don't know. Keep in mind HBO has done a series about polygamists.

On the other hand, body doubles may not be necessary anyway. Dany is fourteen at this point, as I recall, and people that age are often portrayed by actors/actresses older than their characters.

Oh my God. I seriously let out a little sob of happiness when I saw this.

Have some optimism! If GRRM posts it, offer support, and give him all the support to stand his ground for his novels if the producers get pushy. Email HBO and ask for confirmation (though perhaps leave out the "if it's not perfect" death-threats).

Now, on a more realistic level.

HBO has never had a hard time casting good actors. I'm not worried about that, as long as Sandor, Arya, Tyrion, Littlefinger, and Jaime are well done. Haahaha, I hope everyone's done well but I don't think this is the biggest concern.

The dragons do worry me. Hopefully CGI gets cheaper and better soon.

I wonder how they'll do the wolves. The CGI wolves in 'Day After Tomorrow' were terrible. But I wonder if a director would allow children to play with real wolves. (lawsuits and the like-- wolves are wild animals after all) I suppose they could get wolfish looking dogs and do some makeup effects. That could possibly work, as breeds like Shiloh Shepherds are friggin huge.

The battles? Eh, I don't care if they are LOTR size. Showing snippets of seperated action would be cool though, like Jaime charging towards Robb. Just picture it!

Jaime charges-- maybe his helmet's gotten ripped off so you can see his face. Robb looks up, seems vaugely "oh shit." Nobles rush forward to take Jaime down but that fucker tears them to peices, all the while obviously focusing on Robb...of course eventually he's taken down but it's still pretty badass.

Archived