Second life appearence by George R R Martin

davec

That's pretty cool! This is just the thing I was wondering about when I first heard of SL a few months back...it will be fun to participate in one of these virtual gatherings.

This gives me plenty of time to figure out how to teleport myself to the Shelter Theater (I suck at navigating).

SLT=PST, correct?

I will try to go. Anybody have any questions to pass along?

ETA: I won't go. Nevermind.

My Tairy looks like Tairy. No hooves, no horns. I've been dancing at the bar for quite some time now, hoping to attract fellow objectivists. C'mon folks, this is a pretty simple system to learn. Plenty of time to get organised before GRRM's event.

You didn't have the option to have some sort of tree-like avatar?

I'm working on that. It's not easy. I would have to acquire (build?) branch-like attachments. The standard trees you can get (for free, even) aren't part of the physics engine (because that would make collision detection too expensive, I guess). So you can't attack them to yourself, only plant them on the ground.

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I can make myself very thin at put a white bark-texture all over my body. Add branches and red leaves and I'd have a sufficiently good Weirwood avatar. It's doable but difficult, and the time I can invest in this is limited.

• 2 weeks later...
That would suck, since it will take approx. 3.5 hours for me to figure out how to get to where I need to be... :(

Depending on the client you use, it should be easy to just enter the URL/coordinates to the Shelter Theatre and click "teleport." I've run into serious problems in world with server crashes during events, and sometimes the visuals are totally b0rked. Now, some of this is certainly a product of me using a freakin' alpha version of their Linux client (I hope they've released the beta to the n00bs by now), but some of it is just bare hardware issues.

I burn to see Happy Ent's Tairy-tar.

See here -- they've got a bunch of affiliate sites. Personally, if I can't make it into the Bantam-Dell shop, I think I'm going to try the Lost Gardens of Apollo. It's a lovely build.

See here -- they've got a bunch of affiliate sites. Personally, if I can't make it into the Bantam-Dell shop, I think I'm going to try the Lost Gardens of Apollo. It's a lovely build.

Thanks for the list, Ran.

I have no idea how many people are going to show up for this, but if you're a n00b I suggest showing up approx 45 minutes early and just camping your avatar in the corner. (if you right-click a chair, you'll see a pull-down menu with "sit" in it. highlight that, and you're golden).

Mostly what I've noticed is that the visuals will die, but the audio feed is fine. So even if you can't see crap, you'll get the reading and Q&A just fine.

I burn to see Happy Ent's Tairy-tar.

Oh, he's gone I'm afraid. I have been experimenting with Weirwoods. But I simply don't have the time to get anything done. Originally I wanted to produce BwB t-shirts and give them away, and also huge R+L=J banners. It's all amazingly easy to do given a few hours of spare time. But RL is very, very busy (with delightful things, mind you).

I created an avatar the other day, but got incredibly annoyed with "Orientation Island" ("Bazz Runo" by the way). Can I just teleport off that crapheap without having to pass all of its little events first? I tried to just fly away and the ocean was endless.

Archived