Why did Jamie kill Aerys?

Ser Scot A Ellison

The beef between Ned and Jaime was all a matter of perception. Jaime had no communication with Tywin the whole time, but to Ned he looked awfully like a co-conspirator. Jaime had no idea, and was appalled that, Elia and her children were murdered. To those saying Jaime is a coward, he has fought pretty damn bravely in a majority of the battles that have gone on recently in Westeros. Hell, he ASKED to go to the Trident. He saved Lord Crakehall's life. Crossed swords with the Smiling Knight, the most devious villain around in those days. Beat Barristan Selmy in a joust. Was part of the siege of Pyke. When ambushed in the Whispering Wood, he rallied his men and attempted to cut his way to Robb, ending the war right there. He came pretty damn close given that he made it to Robb's personal guard. In that throne room, it was all or nothing. No one outside the Alchemists Guild EVER found all that Wildfire until they "discovered" it for Tyrion in ACOK. If he didn't kill Aerys, there is a chance the city would've been burnt to ashes.

simple

he was a pathetic, dumb, honourless man and oath breaker who didnt give a damn about honour or oaths or vows and only thought about

doing his own sister.

Um I guess I'm a little unclear on the causal relationship between Jaime wanting to fuck Cersei and killing Aerys.

Being an oathbreaker explains why he was able to kill Aerys, but not why - unless you're saying that Jaime purposefully breaks oaths for no other reason than to break them?

Plus maybe he hated Aerys for his guts or something.

k.

Or maybe he hated Aerys because he raped his wife, burnt alive several people for no reason, and was about to burn a whole city to the ground?

Jaime doesn't have a lot of reason to hate Aerys other than for the fact he was a really nasty villain. Tywin had a personal grudge against him, but Jaime did not. If anything Tywin and Jaime's relationship was strained enough that Tywin's grudge would be a reason for Jaime to stay loyal to Aerys.

We know one thing for sure, after all the humiliation he suffered and names he got like kingslayer or oathbreaker, he learned nothing.

He learned on that day, that no matter how just your cause, most people will still assume the worst of you. So why bother trying?

Brienne is helping to reverse this I believe. Some day (not today) Jaime may (re)learn from her the lessons he once held dear.

He once told cerser he would kill King Robert for her as well.

I'd kill King Robert too after what he put Cersei through.

That's exactly what I meant. Ned must have told himself that he's complicit with his father's actions. Jaime just sat there with his bloody sword, but people who saw him at that moment couldn't infer that he didn't know about Elia.

Ah, sorry, I didn't explain well... I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ned should have known that Jaime couldn't have anything direct to do with Elia's death, since he's been in that throneroom for hours, ever since he killed Aerys, and Ned is the first person to ride in there and see the carnage.

Since Gregor was climbing that tower at pretty much exactly the same time as Ned was riding through the city and Jaime was killing Aerys, there's no way Jaime could be involved and Ned would have known that.

I think that Ned blames Jaime mostly for breaking his oath to Aerys and the apparent opportunism. I don't think he believes that Jaime is involved in Elia's death other than by association (which when you're a Lannister is damning enough).

Why did Jaime kill Aerys?

Because he could.

While he obviously might have had a myriad of reasons for wanting to kill Aerys for a long time, this was a golden (armour) opportunity. He was alone with a pyromancer and a weak, mad king, while his father's armies were inside the city. I doubt he broke a sweat killing Rossart and Aerys.

Why did Jaime kill Aerys?

Because he could.

While he obviously might have had a myriad of reasons for wanting to kill Aerys for a long time, this was a golden (armour) opportunity. He was alone with a pyromancer and a weak, mad king, while his father's armies were inside the city. I doubt he broke a sweat killing Rossart and Aerys.

Well, there were the massive caches of wildfire that they planned to ignite once the rebellion's forces reached King's Landing, reducing the city to ashes (killing everyone), also. It wasn't like Jaime just felt like killing Aerys for the hell of it.

Jaime was raised by Tywin. He never quite learned to value human life before he met Brienne.

Besides, he was probably afraid of letting such a powerful foe remain alive after he had killed Rossart. With good reason, IMO.

And it couldn't help that he knows or believes that Aerys brought him to the Kingsguard in order to deny him his heritance of King's Landing. Nor that, perhaps accidentally, that also kept him appart from Cersei.

Well, there were the massive caches of wildfire that they planned to ignite once the rebellion's forces reached King's Landing, reducing the city to ashes (killing everyone), also. It wasn't like Jaime just felt like killing Aerys for the hell of it.

Yeah, but would he have tried it if Arthur Dayne or Gerold Hightower had been standing next to Aerys?

I wonder, did Jaime kill him out of self preservation? He's in the KG, they serve until death. Would he know that Robert pardoned Barristan Selmy or assume that Robert would kill him as well as Aerys? He clearly took a path of moral-ambiguity, but at the same time tarnished his name and betrayed all he was supposed to be.

If Arthur Dayne or Gerold Hightower was there, he wouldnt have. They seem pretty resolved to serve the King regardless of what odds there was. He might have tried it, but Im not willing to be Jaime would have killed him. Also, Jaime (cira GoT-SoS) doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who would have tried pleading with anyone about what Aerys wanted to do as wrong and side with him.

Um I guess I'm a little unclear on the causal relationship between Jaime wanting to fuck Cersei and killing Aerys.

Being an oathbreaker explains why he was able to kill Aerys, but not why - unless you're saying that Jaime purposefully breaks oaths for no other reason than to break them?

k.

Or maybe he hated Aerys because he raped his wife, burnt alive several people for no reason, and was about to burn a whole city to the ground?

Jaime doesn't have a lot of reason to hate Aerys other than for the fact he was a really nasty villain. Tywin had a personal grudge against him, but Jaime did not. If anything Tywin and Jaime's relationship was strained enough that Tywin's grudge would be a reason for Jaime to stay loyal to Aerys.

He learned on that day, that no matter how just your cause, most people will still assume the worst of you. So why bother trying?

Brienne is helping to reverse this I believe. Some day (not today) Jaime may (re)learn from her the lessons he once held dear.

I'd kill King Robert too after what he put Cersei through.

you didnt understand did you?

He took the KG because of cersei mostly to fuck her

so killing aerys was not a big deal because KG was a way for him to be close to his sister

and it wasnt about honour or anything and why he killed him ? many reasons one of the most

obvious one is that aerys didnt like lannisters and specially his own father and jamie knew that

he is part of kg to keep his father in check.

Archived