Its Jaime, not Jamie

moondoggie

My sister named her Irish wolfhound Jaime and pronounces it "Jay-Me", too. I think it's a coincidence; I've never heard her mention the series.

Which proves nothing. She could be Ran for all you know.

Also, the wolfhound is female and very skittish.

Wolf... Hound?

Sounds like the ship name for Sandor/Sansa.

Here's a copy of a post I made elsewhere about pronunciation:

George has insisted that there is no "official" way to say the names, except for a few that sound wrong to him (like "Petyr", which is just Peter). He's puzzled how to pronounce some himself, he said, but here's how he does pronounce some of them, from a NYC reading he did:

Petyr = Peter

Cersei = Ser-say

Jaime = Jamie (I think that was obvious but just in case)

Sansa = Sahn-sa

Tyrion = Tear-ion

Brienne = Bri-en-nE (pronounced long e at the end there)

Arya = Ar-ya (Ex, Are ya?)

Daenerys = Dane-err-is

In all of these names the stressed syllable is the first.

All those times she was "looking at stuff online", y'know...

Wait, is Arya pronounced "Are-ya"? Eww, I hate that. I've always pronounced it "Are-ee-uh" and I loved that name. Are ya I don't like much. Whatev, I'm sticking to my way for that one. ;)

Brienne I always pronounced without a hard e, but I'm not married to that one. I can fix that. For what it's worth I swear I read somewhere that it was "Saun-sa", I always originally pronounced it Sahn-sa then read somewhere I was wrong.

There hasn't been a nitpicky grammar thread in General Chatter in a while... usually the grammarians let off steam there. :) It's always advisable, however, to check your post for glass houses before throwing grammatical stones, because if there's an error, someone will catch it. It may seem heartless but it lifts the overall posting level of the board no end.

:love:

I've been guilty of mis-typing Jaime as Jamie, and there really is no excuse. Just laziness on my part. However, I pronounce Jaime as JAY-me, and I always have. To me, pronouncing Jaime as High-Me sounds wrong, because he probably isn't a Spaniard.

Guest Other-in-Law

That's just crazy. How could a wolfhound build and administer a website?!

I pronounce pretty much everything differently from GRRM himself. I pronounce Jaime as "jame" because "jay me" just sounds too childish. I pronounce Tyrion Tie-ree-on, because nobody denies that his dad is Tie-win. I also pronounce Petyr like... well... Petyr, I really see no reason why anybody would pronounce it otherwise. And I find it humorous, because a similarly pronounced word (peder) means FAG in Croatian, and I always hated the little guy :)

Concerning Targ names, I always pronounced the ae as AY, as it is in old latin. And it would sound stupid if it was pronounced "Eggon" or "Rhegar".

I pronounce pretty much everything differently from GRRM himself. I pronounce Jaime as "jame" because "jay me" just sounds too childish. I pronounce Tyrion Tie-ree-on, because nobody denies that his dad is Tie-win.

IF ONLY THAT WERE SO!

Also I'm not hearing the difference between Tear-Yon and Tie-reeon. It's clearly on the boundary between 2 and 3 syllables in any case

Camp Anawana?

I would give you a million points right now if I could.

Personally I don't get why people get in a fuss over misspellings. Typos happen, memory errors happen, confabulations happen, as long as we all know who's being talked about what's the big deal?

For the record I pronounce it JAY-mee or whatever (too lazy for the IPA stuff).

• 11 months later...

As a sidenote, I find it funny that Tywin Lannister gave his little golden boy such an effeminate name, and his hated dwarf son such a kingly one. If it doesn't embarrass you too much, try saying "Tyrion Lannister" in a booming voice. Awesome. Now try the same with "JAY-me Lannister." Doesn't work.

Say what? I would never think of Jamie as an "effeminate" name. All the Jamies I've ever known in my life have always been boys. Honest. In fact, If I met a girl named Jamie, I would wonder why she has a boy's name!

Jamie is much more a boy's name than a girl's name. If you look at it historically, it was only in recent years that it was ever used as a girl's name at all. It really is a boy's name, and they're are plenty of historical buff and tough guy-Jamies to take after.

I know the rules and I am pretty sure I have it right.

Read it as an introduction, like on a game show : 'Its Jay Leno'! not 'It is Jay Leno!' or 'It's Jay Leno' which suggest Jay Leno belongs to something called It.

good lord.

in any case, the audio book pronounces it like the english name Jay- me.

I had always read it as jame, and now think that is an awesome name that i will someday use

As regard pronunciation – for me He would always remain ['dʒaim] (more or less like giant) after my first reading. It was a translation and in my language reading rules do not allow free interpretations. And actually I like it. - exotic, strange and unique.

Completely agree with this. I got used to pronouncing it ['dÊ’aim] (as it was written) and when I saw the spelling in English, I just assumed the "e" at the end was silent. I hadn't ever considered that it is possible to pronounce it any other way before the TV show (or more precisely, the behind-the-scenes videos). When I heard it pronounced 'Jay-me' for the first time I just stared in total incomprehension at the screen.

Then again, if I had actually liked the 'official' pronunciation, I would have gotten used to it, the way I got used to Tywin being pronounced 'Tie-win' instead of 'Tivin' , Cersei being pronounced 'Sersei' instead of 'Tsersei' or Catelyn pronounced 'Ka-te-lin' instead of 'Kate-lin'.

But nah, Jay-me sounds too weak and unpretentious for a Lannister. At least Jaim (dÊ’aim) sounds like a name of a nobleman. Jay-me doesn't.

Am I allowed to say that it should be "It's Jaime, not Jaime" rather than "Its Jaime, not Jaime"? I mean if we are going to be all pedantic we might as well do it right. Now I await for the inevitable spelling/grammar mistake in my own post to be pointed out:)

I'm just gonna say, as much as I love these books, I hate Jaime's name. Whenever I read his name, Petyr's, or the word Gaoler, it just trips me up and breaks my flow. Eddard, Brynden, Serjeant and Daenarys are all fine for me, but I'd seriously be willing to pay ~ a dollar more for a version of the books where Jaime was re-named Jamie and just a few other jarring words were changed.

I'm just gonna say, as much as I love these books, I hate Jaime's name. Whenever I read his name, Petyr's, or the word Gaoler, it just trips me up and breaks my flow. Eddard, Brynden, Serjeant and Daenarys are all fine for me, but I'd seriously be willing to pay ~ a dollar more for a version of the books where Jaime was re-named Jamie and just a few other jarring words were changed.

My brain just swaps the letters around without me noticing in Jaime's case as is often the case with mistyped words where you just don't see them as your brain corrects them automatically for you. But Petyr this can't happen with. But Petyr isn't too bad for me it just seems kind of Welsh - I used to live near a suburb called Bryndwyr so I guess I am used to that form of spelling. I do hate a lot of the Meerenese names though - in fact I find them so bad that it interferes with my ability to distinguish between characters which I think played a large part in why I didn't enjoy Dany's arc in ADWD.

Archived