Its Jaime, not Jamie

moondoggie

yes, diminutive! Thanks CW and DS. I'm embarrassed that I forgot that one, being a wannabe linguist.

I was thinking about all those versions of names that don't actually sound much like the original name, and don't imply smallness. I don't think they are common now, but they were very common in medieval and tudor times. The best example i can think of is calling a Henry "Harry" or "Hal". They even called the various prince andking Henry's Harry or Hal - and it implied manhood and affectionate respect rather than "cute little boy" I have no idea what you call that kind of nickname so i looked it up in Wikipedia. They don't give a label for those kinds of alternative-names, but it's still very interesting.

A nickname is a name different in origin and pronunciation from the original name.

It is not interchangeable with a term called "short-for". It can also be the familiar or truncated form of the proper name, which may sometimes be used simply for convenience (e.g. "Bobby", "Bob", "Rob", or "Bert" for the name Robert).

The term hypocoristic is used to refer to a nickname of affection between those in love or with a close emotional bond, compared with a term of endearment. The term diminutive name refers to nicknames that convey smallness, hence something regarded with affection or familiarity (e.g., referring to children), or contempt.

The distinction between the two is often blurred. It is a form of endearment and amusement. As a concept, it is distinct from both pseudonym and stage name, and also from a title (for example, City of Fountains), although there may be overlap in these concepts.

A nickname is sometimes considered desirable, symbolising a form of acceptance, but can often be a form of ridicule.

p.s. Love the avatar - it's new isn't it? Mads is amazing as one eye :bowdown: :bowdown:

My pronunciations go like this.

Brienne - Brienn, silent E

Catelyn - Katelyn

Cersei - CER-SEE

Davos - DAY-VOS

Frey - FREY

Gendry - GEN-DRE with the y making the e sound

Lysa - Lisa, short 'i'-LIE-SA

Margaery - not really sure, MARGERY i geuss

Petyr - PETER

Targaryen - TAR-GARY-EN

Tully - short TUL-LEE

Tyrion, Tywin -TIE-WIN,TEAR-ION

All the others that are things like Bryndyn i saw it like it's real world name.

• 7 months later...

If we're hand-wringing over pronunciations, I have to confess that the show pronounces Iron Islands names in a different way than I do.

I've always thought of Theon as THAY-uhn and Balon as BAY-luhn. On the show though the accents are on the second syllables, so Theon is thee-ON and Balon is bay-LON.

This is one of those cases that involve GRRM being too clever for his own good. Whatever his intentions for how the name is pronounced, he should have realized how Spanish speaking readers would pronounce the name. I mean, does he not live in Sante Fe, New Mexico?

This is one of those cases that involve GRRM being too clever for his own good. Whatever his intentions for how the name is pronounced, he should have realized how Spanish speaking readers would pronounce the name. I mean, does he not live in Sante Fe, New Mexico?
I assume this is a joke right? George Martin is American. American's only speak or recognize the existence of one language, American.

I know the rules and I am pretty sure I have it right.

Read it as an introduction, like on a game show : 'Its Jay Leno'! not 'It is Jay Leno!' or 'It's Jay Leno' which suggest Jay Leno belongs to something called It.

Here is how it goes. "It's" is a contraction of "it is." "Its" is the possessive form of "it."

Example: It's not a good idea to judge a book by its cover.

I assume this is a joke right? George Martin is American. American's only speak or recognize the existence of one language, American.

Funny that, I'm American and I speak three.

Jesus. Its a fucking joke. Its funny cause me bomb places that we don't know where they are. Simmer down.

If I could figure out how to move to the Denmark, I'd be on the next train.

:lmao: Thanks, Little one! Your jokes are the bestest!!!! :lol:

Yay!! So creative!! :lmao:

Jesus. Its a fucking joke. Its funny cause me bomb places that we don't know where they are. Simmer down.

If I could figure out how to move to the Denmark, I'd be on the next train.

:lmao: Thanks, Little one! Your jokes are the bestest!!!! :lol:

Yay!! So creative!! :lmao:

What he needs to do is write another poem. You realize, LLL, that we did publish you on the Tumblr. Your fame reaches a wider world now. :lol:

Archived