Exercise and Fitness Thread

Stego

Quote by Vethnar:

Yes, the bar should be touching the shin at the beginning of the lift, and stay in contact with the leg throughout the lift. When going up, begin by extending the knees while keeping the angle between the back and the floor constant. When the bar passes the knees, complete the lift by bringing the hips forward. You lower the bar by doing exactly the same motion in reverse: Bend at the hips until the bar passes the knees, and then bend the knees while keeping the back angle constant until the bar is back on the floor.

Absolutely great advice. Some people use knee socks to protect their shins on deadlifts. You definitely should be scraping along them. At the top, I find people are better able to visualize what they are supposed to do if you say you should 'fuck the bar.'

Just got back from 9 miles of running in the wind, rain, and mud. I feel good. I'm starting to think my training paces are too slow, but don't really want to fuck around with that without a good PB to back it up. Hopefully I'll smash the 10 miler in three weeks and can think about speeding it up then with plenty of time for the real season.

Creative use of a squat rack, dumbbells and small plates:

The two jumps are 117 and 120 cm (46 and 47 inches). These jumps are considerably harder than standing box jumps of the same height, because I have to jump longer in the horizontal direction in order to bring the feet over the bar (as apposed to landing with the feet on top of it) and to avoid hitting the bar with my ass on the way down. Still not quite as high as I would like, but summer is still several months away, and I'm always a little overweight at this time of the year. If I keep improving my lifts and get rid of the excess fat, this is gonna be awesome.

:thumbsup:

Ah, I was squatting first rather than bending, that explains why the bar kept hitting my knees. Is the deadlift more of a lower back exercise than anything? My lower back is incredibly sore from them, but my legs not so much.

I think I need to go and find some gloves to wear when weight lifting; my skin is getting torn apart from those bars.

Ah, I was squatting first rather than bending, that explains why the bar kept hitting my knees. Is the deadlift more of a lower back exercise than anything? My lower back is incredibly sore from them, but my legs not so much.

I think it depends on the relative strengths of your various muscles. Perhaps your legs and glutes are simply stronger than your back. For what it's worth, I also feel deadlifts mostly in my back, but in my entire back, not just the lower back.

I think I need to go and find some gloves to wear when weight lifting; my skin is getting torn apart from those bars.

Most people seem to think gloves weakens your grip. Your skin will toughen up after a while anyway. Gloves really only make sense if you're afraid of callouses, which -- being a violinist -- you can't possibly be.

Most people seem to think gloves weakens your grip. Your skin will toughen up after a while anyway. Gloves really only make sense if you're afraid of callouses, which -- being a violinist -- you can't possibly be.

Rather than forming callouses, the skin is just getting torn off, leaving raw pink flesh which stings for the next few days. And as soon as it starts to heal up it gets torn right back into a wound if I lift. The weights I lift are pathetically light enough that a weaker grip shouldn't matter much, though makes sense that it's a concern for more hardcore athletes.

On a side note, I've actually never had callouses from violin :P Violin hickeys are the only thing I get.

Rather than forming callouses, the skin is just getting torn off, leaving raw pink flesh which stings for the next few days. And as soon as it starts to heal up it gets torn right back into a wound if I lift. The weights I lift are pathetically light enough that a weaker grip shouldn't matter much, though makes sense that it's a concern for more hardcore athletes.

On a side note, I've actually never had callouses from violin :P Violin hickeys are the only thing I get.

It sounds - with just what little has been said - that you're not actually gripping the bar hard enough. You don't need to white knuckle everything, but you also can't have the bar rotating like it seems it probably is. Same concept as swinging a bat or a club - too little grip and you lose control, too much grip and you're focusing incorrectly.

Very impressive.

Thanks. I bet you could do it too, though. :)

100 kg snatch soon to follow I presume.

Not any time soon, I'm afraid. I'm faster and more explosive than the average fat, ageing fantasy geek, but I'm also very weak by the standards of the E&F threads (you'd be shocked to learn how low my squat is). My technique also leaves a lot to be desired.

Perhaps I do have the genetic potential to achieve a 100 kg snatch, and I certainly still hope to do so, but it will require a lot of time and effort.

Vethnar, make sure to post outtakes of that too :P

you might even make failblog, haha

Hardly. Failed jumps are not very spectacular. The bar (actually a foldable measuring stick) is very thin, light and flexible. If I hit it on the way up, it is just knocked away without doing any harm. If I hit it with my ass on the way down (the most common way to fail), it just bends or folds. There is really nothing that can go wrong.

But anyway, since you asked,

I have a much better chance to make it to failblog while attempting a 100kg snatch, but as I said in my previous message, that's still quite far away. :P

Wow, I've only been running for a little over a month, and I've lost a significant amount of weight. This is fucking awesome. Keep it up everyone, and push yourself a little. the end results are great.

Sounds great! Congratulations. I should probably do the same, but I hate running.

Is 100kg snatch a common benchmark?

I'm not sure how common it is, but it's a long-term goal of mine, because it's just enough to beat the world record in the women's 48 kg class. I look so much forward to being able to boast that I'm as strong as a 48 kg girl.

diet day starting today, but with a twist. Instead of keeping track of my weight, I'm going to measure amount of reps I can do with body weight exercises, such as dips, push ups, and most importantly chin ups. I focus too much on some stupid scale number, so I reckon this is a viable alternative.

Archived