What the heck happend to Jorah Mormont?

Ser Frank Haven

Yup i do.

Okay, I had wondered if the 11 years without a chapter had been a factor. :)

I thought in the chapter with Robert and the small council Varys said the only reason Jorah was ratting on Dany was for a pardon, so I assumed after they agreed to off her he got one. Didn't realize that was only for tv lol

He was spying for the pardon, but it wasn't clear if he was granted it yet when he changed sides.

If true...Does Lord Snow give him Longclaw, I wonder?

Why would he? Mormont wanted Jon to have it, even personalizing the hilt for him and the way he spoke of the situation to Jon made it clear that he was relieved to see that Jorah didn't take the sword when he fled. Jon would just be going against his wishes if he gave Longclaw to Jorah.

Why would he? Mormont wanted Jon to have it, even personalizing the hilt for him and the way he spoke of the situation to Jon made it clear that he was relieved to see that Jorah didn't take the sword when he fled. Jon would just be going against his wishes if he gave Longclaw to Jorah.

Honestly, this made me go WTF while watching yesterday. Give away your ancestor's blade just because this kid happens to save your life? I'm sure people have saved Mormonts in the past 500 years or whatever. Sword should have gone to Maege as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Jon does give Jorah Mormont his father's blade. I would be a very happy camper. :)

Honestly, this made me go WTF while watching yesterday. Give away your ancestor's blade just because this kid happens to save your life? I'm sure people have saved Mormonts in the past 500 years or whatever. Sword should have gone to Maege as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Jon does give Jorah Mormont his father's blade. I would be a very happy camper. :)

It's more than that, The Old Bear was starting to think of Jon as his son, his heir, his replacement, not just his steward. In my mind the passing of the sword is more than just the reward, it is the passing of a torch to the next generation.

Yes, I am hoping Jorah Mormont shows up at the Wall expecting to find his father and possible redemption, only to find that his father is dead, the new Lord Commander is the son of the man that drove him into exile, and he's wielding the sword that he was supposed to own.

I'm hoping Jorah gets over it, though, and Jon spares him, and they get along up until Daenerys shows up. I don't 'ship' them or whatever, but Jon and Dan's meeting in this case would be interesting, both young Targaryens (maybe) with a huge weight on their shoulders guided through life by a Mormont.

I have to admit, if there is ANY character that has moved up my "like" list as a result of the TV series, it's Jorah Mormont. The lines are the same, the action the same. The delivery through Iain Glen is completely different. I LIKE this Jorah. Jorah the Andal is a dashing, likeable & tragic hero. He's a true Knight who simply "fell off the wagon" and forgot his duty for love... but only briefly. As sson as he lost his succubus wife, he regained his sense of self.

Moreover, Iain Glen is not the ugly Old Bear that Dany doesn't fall for in the series. He is, to the contrary, a rather dashing knight -- and not that old, really. The dynamic of that relationship could change. I'm not so sure how D&D will make that whole rejection aspect work. I guess they will resort to Dany's "imperiousness" and wishing "to keep her Knight at an emotional arm's length" as their way out. Because the "I'm just not attracted to you" excuse isn't believable in the TV series as it was in the books.

I also think that the TV series' granting to Jorah a pardon changed the nature of Mormont's supposed treachery. He receives the pardon -- understands what it means -- and saves Dany instead, He refuses to act on the pardon, too. He could have just said "fuck it" and gone home. He doesn't. He remains loyal. "Loyalty, is everything to me."

In my view, this change COULD be used by D&D to keep Jorah with Dany. I think D&D gave themselves a subtle way out with that exceedingly minor change. If there are problems in re-signing the actor who plays Ser Barristan, I could well see how Jorah stays with Dany and they just merge the roles.

I am NOT saying that D&D have decided to do this. I am saying they have made a change to the story to permit them to keep Jorah in the show should they want to or need to.

If there is to be a significant change in the series vs. the books, then I think that Jorah Mormont NOT leaving Dany's Court Across the Water could prove to be it.

As for the books, I would REALLY prefer Jorah to end up at the Wall and ultimately take the black and not betray Jon Snow. And yes, a Jorah that takes the Black and serves the Night's Watch valiantly? I could well see Jon giving Jorah Longclaw -- if he proves to be his father's son. That's something that Jon Snow might not have done -- but which LORD Snow, looking to cement a bond with an important and loyal sub-commander of the Night's Watch may well choose to do.

Especially if Lord Snow is trying to make sure there is an "heir" to the mantle of Lord Commander on the Wall should he fall.

Assuming that Jorah's arc is not further revealed in ADwD, maybe Iain Glen's thoroughly heroic Jorah Mormont will change GRRM's plan for the character. Alan Rickman's Snape changed JK Rowling's arc for the character -- and GRRM has already mentioned he may re-examine Osha as a result of Natalia Teena's portrayal of the character on the series.

It might happen with Jorah, too.

We'll see in the fullness of time.

I don't understand why this is surprising. Jeor was old understood he would eventually die on the wall. His only son fled and voluntarily left the sword behind. Jon seemed like the best option to me. You don't let a Valyrian steel sword go to waste.

It's more than that, The Old Bear was starting to think of Jon as his son, his heir, his replacement, not just his steward. In my mind the passing of the sword is more than just the reward, it is the passing of a torch to the next generation.

...which is IMO ridiculous since he's known Jon for all of 3-6 months by this point? And Jon's been Mormont's steward for weeks at most? And even if Jon was the best kid who ever lived (jury would be out at this point, Jon was kind of a punk), it's still a Mormont blade. If he wants to pass it to the next generation, there's always Dacey.

I have to admit, if there is ANY character that has moved up my "like" list as a result of the TV series, it's Jorah Mormont.

Yeah, I hear you! I always liked Jorah and found him a deeply compromised while still sympathetic character, but I'm crazy about the TV version since episode 6 or so. It's not just that he's attractive (can't deny it helps) - he's also more soft-spoken, kinder and gentler, while also fucking fierce and badass at the same time. OH! And he totally says "HERE I STAND" to Viserys in that added scene, how awesome was that??! And they've built up the mystery about his past more than at this point in the books.

I'm honestly not sure how Dany rejecting Jorah is going to play for TV audiences! They might side with him.

Yeah, I hear you! I always liked Jorah and found him a deeply compromised while still sympathetic character, but I'm crazy about the TV version since episode 6 or so. It's not just that he's attractive (can't deny it helps) - he's also more soft-spoken, kinder and gentler, while also fucking fierce and badass at the same time. OH! And he totally says "HERE I STAND" to Viserys in that added scene, how awesome was that??! And they've built up the mystery about his past more than at this point in the books.

I'm honestly not sure how Dany rejecting Jorah is going to play for TV audiences! They might side with him.

"And yet, here I stand."

Damn straight! He's got the loyalty of Ned Stark with the wits and good sense of a Renly. You want to kick a guy like that out?

No way; no how.

Unless they change some further dynamics with Jorah? I can't see how the TV audience can't help BUT "siding" with Ser Jorah in that squabble.

...which is IMO ridiculous since he's known Jon for all of 3-6 months by this point? And Jon's been Mormont's steward for weeks at most? And even if Jon was the best kid who ever lived (jury would be out at this point, Jon was kind of a punk), it's still a Mormont blade. If he wants to pass it to the next generation, there's always Dacey.

It's a Mormont blade because the previous owners always wanted their successors to be their children. Jeor has removed himself from all south of the Wall, his son fled disgraced, he rules the Night's Watch now, and his fight is against the Others. Indicating his desired successor to his position and his fight with the gift of a sword seems perfectly acceptable.

Of course, if Jon and Jorah meet, it would certainly be awkward.

Haha, there weren't already large groups of people siding with Jorah?

In my view, this change COULD be used by D&D to keep Jorah with Dany. I think D&D gave themselves a subtle way out with that exceedingly minor change. If there are problems in re-signing the actor who plays Ser Barristan, I could well see how Jorah stays with Dany and they just merge the roles.

I very very seriously doubt that. Jorah still has a role to play, betting on it. Whether thats a good role or a bad one, who knows. But they wouldnt derail the story like that.

If true...Does Lord Snow give him Longclaw, I wonder?

I personally doubt that Jorah would ask for Longclaw back. That and if he really does want the sword back, he's going to have to go all the way to the Wall and ask Jon for it in person.

I have to admit, if there is ANY character that has moved up my "like" list as a result of the TV series, it's Jorah Mormont. The lines are the same, the action the same. The delivery through Iain Glen is completely different. I LIKE this Jorah. Jorah the Andal is a dashing, likeable & tragic hero. He's a true Knight who simply "fell off the wagon" and forgot his duty for love... but only briefly. As sson as he lost his succubus wife, he regained his sense of self.

Moreover, Iain Glen is not the ugly Old Bear that Dany doesn't fall for in the series. He is, to the contrary, a rather dashing knight -- and not that old, really. The dynamic of that relationship could change. I'm not so sure how D&D will make that whole rejection aspect work. I guess they will resort to Dany's "imperiousness" and wishing "to keep her Knight at an emotional arm's length" as their way out. Because the "I'm just not attracted to you" excuse isn't believable in the TV series as it was in the books.

That's silly. Change the entire story because the actor isn't ugly enough? I'll grant you that the TV Jorah is a lot more charismatic and charming, but that doesn't mean Dany would necessarily be attracted to him. And they did show the scene where ser Barristan is "fired" so I doubt they'll just never show him again. They won't merge him with Jorah, nor deviate from the story like that, I'm sure.

I'm guessing, to make the audience side with Dany when she banishes Jorah, they'll have to make him a bit creepier when he ogles her exposed breast at Qarth, and how he forces the kiss on her. If they show him do that and show Dany react really badly to that, it will be easy to take her side after that.

I dont know why anything needs to be done? What Jorah Mormont did was bad, and granted banishing him was a bit extreme but its still not as if he was completely faultless. Leave it how it is; Dany Rejects his advances and looks clearly uncomfortable by it (just like the book) and then the truth is exposed. I cant see the tv audience worrying all that much with what has already happened up to that point.

Yes, I am hoping Jorah Mormont shows up at the Wall expecting to find his father and possible redemption, only to find that his father is dead, the new Lord Commander is the son of the man that drove him into exile, and he's wielding the sword that he was supposed to own.

I would love for him to go to the Wall for this, and for the chance that eventually Sam goes back and mentions Jeor's last words.

It's a fair point that Jon gets the sword for simply doing his duty and not anything exceptional but I want to point out that Maege had the sword and as the rightful ruler of the Bear Island could have chosen to keep it or pass it on to Dacey or her other daughters, but didn't. And correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the Mormont women are actually described as swordfighters, are they? Maege has a spiked mace, Dacey has a morningstar, the woman in the carving they talk about with Catelyn has an axe. Maybe they just don't fight with swords most of the time.

There are people who dont side with him? Did no one else read the part how Dany expected him to fall on his knees and beg for forgiveness? Did everyone forget that without Jorah, Dany would be dead (a couple times over)? Does everyone forget that Jorah did everything Dany asked of him?

Sure Jorah was a dick in GoT, and he kept on feeding Dany's delusion, but IMO he was arguably the best part of her chapters. Homeboy just wants a piece of action.

She's a woman.

Archived