Sandor Clegane v. 7...better, faster, stronger...

headtrip_honey

Just a reminder to everyone, please stay away from speculation that may border on the f word. If you want to speculate freely, or talk about anything else ASOIAF related, feel free to join the community in my signature. We only occasionally talk about foot fetishes.

Now, on to present business....

We're told at one point that Sandor was originally Cersei's dog, before he was Joff's. We also know he joined the Lannister household when Gregor was knighted.

In the meantime, he was probably squiring, learning to fight, drink, whore, etc.

Do we think that he was assigned to Cersei when she left for King's Landing? Personal guard sort of thing?

What do you think?

You wanna see how fast a Sandor Thread can get shut down. Just let me post in it HAR HAR HAR.

Just kidding, nice to see the old girl is still up and running.

As to Headtrip's, question, Yes i think that was exactly it. i think Tywin ordered him to be her personal protector, Then when Joffrey was born, she passed him on to her son. Perhaps even Tywin himself, Tywin would want to keep his family's best claim to the throne, safe at all costs

So, given that he was likely in KL with Cersei, do we think he had any part in the Greyjoy Rebellion?

I think it's possible, as the Iron Islands are close to Casterly Rock/Lannisport, and it's likely that the Lannisters would have wanted to send their best fighting men. And anyway, Joff was just a toddler at the time.

Gods, can you imagine a showdown between Victarion and Sandor? :eek:

So, given that he was likely in KL with Cersei, do we think he had any part in the Greyjoy Rebellion?

I think it's possible, as the Iron Islands are close to Casterly Rock/Lannisport, and it's likely that the Lannisters would have wanted to send their best fighting men. And anyway, Joff was just a toddler at the time.

Gods, can you imagine a showdown between Victarion and Sandor? :eek:

I definitely think so, the only thing that might make me question that is. How old was he at the time of Greyjoy rebellion and was he at Casterly Rock at that time for sure?

I definitely think so, the only thing that might make me question that is. How old was he at the time of Greyjoy rebellion and was he at Casterly Rock at that time for sure?

He was around 18 during the Greyjoy Rebellion.

Joff definitely would've been a toddler at the time. I don't think we have absolute confirmation as to his whereabouts.

As to Headtrip's, question, Yes i think that was exactly it. i think Tywin ordered him to be her personal protector, Then when Joffrey was born, she passed him on to her son. Perhaps even Tywin himself, Tywin would want to keep his family's best claim to the throne, safe at all costs

:agree:

And I have a question. How did Sandor go from being a squire to being "no Ser" and not just remain a squire? It seems to me the only options that would have been available would be to become a knight or remain a squire. We have had examples in the books of men who have remained squires until they dropped dead of old age. I am thinking it was when he became a sworn sword, but have there been any other examples in the books of people who did not become knights after squiring? Maybe Aemon was a squire before he became a maester? But that is a complete shift in career, Sandor is still in the killing business. :dunno:

He might have been just too useful to Tywin, so the whole vows thing could be overlooked. However if you look at an example from the North in AGOT when Bran asks Maester Luwin about how many knights there are, he says you have to stand vigil and be anointed with the oils in the Sept etc to become a Knight and that few in the North worship the Seven so there aren't as many knights "but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honourable." He then says (regarding the amount of knights present) they have "three hundred, perhaps four...among three thousand armoured lances who are not knights".

So it is possible Sandor Clegane would be described as an Armoured Lance and Sworn Sword to house Lannister.

And I have a question. How did Sandor go from being a squire to being "no Ser" and not just remain a squire? It seems to me the only options that would have been available would be to become a knight or remain a squire. We have had examples in the books of men who have remained squires until they dropped dead of old age. I am thinking it was when he became a sworn sword, but have there been any other examples in the books of people who did not become knights after squiring? Maybe Aemon was a squire before he became a maester? But that is a complete shift in career, Sandor is still in the killing business. :dunno:

Squire is a job description, nothing more. A squire is a man of noble birth who attends upon a knight, not a killer. Sandor would only have been called a squire as long as he actually worked as squire for a knight. As soon as Sandor quit his job, he no longer was a squire. Unless you are a hostage, you are not forced to remain a squire until you become a knight (or drop dead). Obviously Cersei and Joffrey didn't make knighthood a prerequisite for the job they offered him. They might have offered him knighthood as an incentive, but Sandor was obviously not interested.

Another example would be Willas Tyrell. He didn't become a knight after his crippling leg injury, but he is no longer a squire, either.

At the risk of beating a point to death, it's hard to imagine a big, bull-muscled swordsman who's been killing folk in battle since he was 12, not being utilized during the fighting in the Greyjoy Rebellion.

And as I notice Tini just wrote, as I'm sure have others, to become a knight there's vows to be taken and such rituals, which Sandor was never arsed to do since he never cared for the position.

Repetitively yers....

Sisters and Brothers of Sandor, this is the most urgent of times. In the Pronce Charming thread, Sandor, is doing well, but his enemies are mounting. Foremost, Oberyn Martell. I ask that in the love of Sandor, pick up this cause and join the battle. Our greatest enemy right now is Oberyn.

Many have Joined the Valiant cause, for if you be true fans of Sandor, it is time to make good on those vows. And for those who do not know me, I am the Watcher of the Sisterhood and protector.

I ask that in the love of Sandor, pick up this cause and join the battle.

Many have Joined the Valiant cause, for if you be true fans of Sandor, it is time to make good on those vows. And for those who do not know me, I am the Watcher of the Sisterhood and protector.

I went to the contest but I couldn't understand how to play. Otherwise I would totally be there supporting our sexy beast!

(This is only my third post ever and I've never used the "quote" function before so I hope I did it right)

I went to the contest but I couldn't understand how to play. Otherwise I would totally be there supporting our sexy beast!

(This is only my third post ever and I've never used the "quote" function before so I hope I did it right)

You did!

Basically, for the elim game, all you have to do is copy the poster before you, and then choose one person to "heal" and one person to "hurt".

Whoever you heal, you increase their score by one, and whoever you hurt, you decrease their score by one. The "total score" needs to be 175.

Welcome! Add one point to the person you're "healing" and subtract one point from the person you're "hurting." ETA: HH's description was way better. :)

While we're talking job descriptions, is a "sworn shield" anything more or less than a personal bodyguard? Are we to assume the Hound was Cersei's sworn shield prior to being Joffrey's? And why does Sandor always seem to know where Cersei is? I've been meaning to go back and look at anything pointing to a connection between the two but haven't done a thorough search yet. The only thing I saw so far is, after Sandor does his "spirits of the air" schtick with Tyrion/Joff, Tyrion asks where Cersei is and Sandor tells him she's having breakfast with Jaime. If he's in the yard, armored up, apparently ready to be out and about for the day, why would he know that? There's another occassion, too, where Sandor is reporting to Cersei the minute he or she is back in town. I forget the exact context of that one. Just seems suspicious . . .

Archived