Questions about the DVD

stephanson

I pre ordered mine from Sainsburys £30 on Blue-Ray and it was delivered last Saturday the 3rd March and as you would expect i was well chuffed, still haven't found any eggs as yet, but it's a lovely box set and was well well worth the monetary effort of updating to a Blue-Ray Home Cinema System.

I order from Amazon all of the time and haven't had anything delivered from DHL for as long as I can remember. It's always FedEx, UPS, USPS, and if they DO use DHL, like another Leuf said it will just be delivered by your local post office.

I guess maybe DHL is just the first hands that will be carrying my order. It was what was listed on my order confirmation that they were the ones that picked it up from Kentucky. Thanks for the piece of mind though, I trust my Canada Post lol.

Hi guys. Just a little word on buying the blurays from amazon. I saw the box set for 35$. What a freaking deal. I also needed to complete my absolute promethea set so I ordered GOT and absolute promethea vol 3 3 nights ago. I qualified for the free shipping option, they said it would take about 5-8 days. Three days later (today) I see a giant box from amazon by my front door. I could not believe how fast I received my giant box (absolute promethea is a large, heavy slipcased graphic novel).....and it was free. Kudos to amazon for the great price and lightning fast, free shipping.

Oh... My god is the show beautiful on Bluray and my Samsung ledtv. Totally puts HBO's JD broadcast to shame. I can't wait to re-watch the series and dig into all the extras. This might be the first thing I ever watch with the commentaries turned on.

I got the Stark sleeve from Best Buy, before I knew about the bonus discs at other places. I would love to read some reviews of those discs to see if they're worth tracking down on eBay. Also, I thought there would be a lot of discussion about the home video releases and what people thought of it, are people just not discussing it, or, more likely, am I oblivious as to where the right forum is to discuss it? :lol:

Spent a big chunk of the weekend watching the episodes on Blu Ray and checking out the special features. I must say I was extremely impressed and entertained by the animated history and lore features, narrated by several of the actors (in character). Tons of information helpful to non-book readers and fun for the rest of us is included, often with the same concepts or events discussed from varying points of view. The actors all did a very convincing job with the material; Tywin's take on the Night's Watch in particular had me laughing out loud. Also, the choice of Bran to discuss the Children of the Forest and the Old Gods was an inspired one, especially given what we learn in ADWD.

Spent a big chunk of the weekend watching the episodes on Blu Ray and checking out the special features. I must say I was extremely impressed and entertained by the animated history and lore features, narrated by several of the actors (in character). Tons of information helpful to non-book readers and fun for the rest of us is included, often with the same concepts or events discussed from varying points of view. The actors all did a very convincing job with the material; Tywin's take on the Night's Watch in particular had me laughing out loud. Also, the choice of Bran to discuss the Children of the Forest and the Old Gods was an inspired one, especially given what we learn in ADWD.

I, too, wanted to plug the way they did the histories and lore. This is exactly the kind of thing that blu-rays and collectors editions are good for. HBO obviously understands this; I wish more movie and TV shows did. The big draw of plopping so much money down on these things is the extras they offer--if companies want physical copies of entertainment to survive, they need to make them as rich and well constructed as the GOT DVD/Blu-ray

I must be the only one that hates the blue-ray version. I'm returning it and getting the regular DVD instead. My Blue-ray player is less than 6 months old & has current software but these discs still take forever to load and hang about half the time. Not worth it for me. but the show itself is good so far (I'm half way through it)... interesting to see what they changed to show this story, so far the changes all make sense.

I think my biggest disappointment so far is that as much as I like the actor playing Jamie, I'm not convinced he's the best choice for this role. but maybe I'll warm up to him... but that's a little off topic. I don't care about the dragon eggs, I just don't want to have to do a voodoo dance every time I want to get these stupid discs to load!

I must be the only one that hates the blue-ray version. I'm returning it and getting the regular DVD instead. My Blue-ray player is less than 6 months old & has current software but these discs still take forever to load and hang about half the time. Not worth it for me.

That is odd. Do other Blu Ray discs operate on your player without these issues? Blu Ray players in general are notoriously finicky.

The dragon eggs are fun I guess, but they're already all posted on YouTube so they aren't a big loss.

I think my biggest disappointment so far is that as much as I like the actor playing Jamie, I'm not convinced he's the best choice for this role. but maybe I'll warm up to him

His portrayal didn't meet my expectations at first either, but he definitely grew on me. Coster-Waldau adds a good deal more nuance and subtlety to the character than what we see in the first two books; IMO he plays him more akin to the Jaime we see as a POV character in ASOS and AFFC.

Do other Blu Ray discs operate on your player without these issues? Blu Ray players in general are notoriously finicky.

The dragon eggs are fun I guess, but they're already all posted on YouTube so they aren't a big loss.

yes, other discs operate mostly ok. I've had a few of these problems before but nothing to this extent. I'm sure a good portion of the problem is my lack of patience, though. lol I'll just exchange them and my blood pressure will go back down and all will be better.

His portrayal didn't meet my expectations at first either, but he definitely grew on me. Coster-Waldau adds a good deal more nuance and subtlety to the character than what we see in the first two books; IMO he plays him more akin to the Jaime we see as a POV character in ASOS and AFFC.

oh, good to know. I'll keep an open mind. I tried not going into it with too many expectations, I knew it couldn't be exactly like the books so I'm trying to roll with it. :-)

I'll check out youtube later today for those dragon eggs!

In this instance, Amazon UK was a really bad value choice. It was cheaper in supermarkets (I got mine from Tescos for £32.99 versus £34.99 from Amazon) without having to wait for delivery.

My blu ray was £32 on amazon uk

My BluRay player takes forever to load, and then the warnings and such beforehand waste time. One issue that I have is that sometimes when fastfowarding, it will crash when I hit play. The screen briefly shows static for a split second, and then the blu-ray player shuts down. I don't have a whole lot of blu-rays, but I've never noticed that before on any other discs. Honestly I don't know if it is my player or the discs. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I've tracked down all the dragon eggs, except the Sophie one. From what I've read it is supposed to be in the feature menu during the character profiles. But it didn't say which character profile. I assumed it was Sansa's, but it doesn't seem to show up during it. I tried some of the others and couldn't get it to show up. Anyone got that one to work? By the way, the one with the Hound telling Sansa about how his burns happend was awesome. I so wish that scene would have made it.

My BluRay player takes forever to load, and then the warnings and such beforehand waste time. One issue that I have is that sometimes when fastfowarding, it will crash when I hit play. The screen briefly shows static for a split second, and then the blu-ray player shuts down. I don't have a whole lot of blu-rays, but I've never noticed that before on any other discs. Honestly I don't know if it is my player or the discs. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I've tracked down all the dragon eggs, except the Sophie one. From what I've read it is supposed to be in the feature menu during the character profiles. But it didn't say which character profile. I assumed it was Sansa's, but it doesn't seem to show up during it. I tried some of the others and couldn't get it to show up. Anyone got that one to work? By the way, the one with the Hound telling Sansa about how his burns happend was awesome. I so wish that scene would have made it.

I believe there is a warning somewhere about it being possible your blu-ray may need a firmware update to have the best possible playback due to this being the HIGHEST GRADE BLU-RAY POSSIBLE RAWWWWRRR!!!!!!!

Also, the Sophie one is during the "Sansa" character feature on that list of all the HBO character studies that the channel did...did that make any sense? It's a video, not text or anything.

that's exactly the kinda thing that was happening to mine. Mine also will freeze on loading at times. I have the latest firmware update so I know that's not the problem. I've since heard the same story from other people. I could eventually get it to play but I don't need the irritation, so I sent it back and ordered the regular DVD.

My player did mention a pending firmware update. It's probably been close to a year since I updated it. I'll try that.

Regarding the Sophie dragon egg, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I kept the feature menu up pretty much the entire Sansa character profile and the egg never showed up. Wierd.

Got mine at Target for 34.99. Target gives you an extra disk about the making of the special effects (Target exclusive).

I pre-ordered my blu-ray from amazon and it too came with an "exclusive" making of the special effects disc. Looks like it wasn't so exclusive after-all.

Am I the only one who was kind of peeved by the DVD release? They completely milked it stretching it to five disks, meaning you had to change the DVD after every two episodes (or maybe it's just my laziness...).

Then, I went to show my friend the extras the other night to see the only worthwhile one was a 30 minute doc about the making of Game Of Thrones, the others that sound extremely interesting (such as the adaption from book to screen one, and the invention of the Dothraki language) were only 5 minutes long and hugely recycled footage from the Making Of one.

So, the Bluray one had so much more on it... Grrr...

Got the DVD version at Walmart for 34.99, and it came with the Houses of Westeros bonus disc. Haven't watched it yet, but have watched the set and features twice now, and plan on a 10 hour marathon April 1 before season 2 starts.

I might get the blu-ray as a Christmas gift this year, though.

And Joanna Snow, most HBO shows have 2 episodes on each disc (or 3 sometimes depending how long the season is). I, actually, like how there are 2 episodes on one disc. That way I can hit "play all" and finish the disc in a quick 2-hour sitting instead of 4 episodes on one disc where if I need to get something done I'll have to interrupt the "flow".

Archived