A blindingly obvious way to bypass the Wall...

The Last Direwolf

Since the wights are obidient dead slaves why not just march a wight army through the gorge west of the Shawdow Tower? Its not like the wights will complain about the rigorous nature of the journey.

What if...

A ship or two does make it back from Hardhome, and there are a few infected wildlings (say, a corpse that was stuffed in some dark corner of the boat that stays 'inactive' for a bit) that go relatively unnoticed, and when dumped back on land start to infect other wildlings, and then those kill and infect more until...

Seven save us.

And the Eastwatch men can see the entire land north of the Wall? Of course not. They could build them out of sight of the Wall, then sail them south. The Watch has no naval strength to stop a landing

You could be right, so I'm not saying otherwise, but I am pretty sure that the brothers at Eastwatch probably patrol the coast, just like the rangers patrol the interior continent.

What if...

A ship or two does make it back from Hardhome, and there are a few infected wildlings (say, a corpse that was stuffed in some dark corner of the boat) that go relatively unnoticed, and when dumped back on land start to infect other wildlings, and then those kill and infect more until...

Seven save us.

The NW men would not be as stupid as to bring back a corpse, and any wildling with blue eyes would probably be burnt as a precaution. The real problem comes if the NW men on the boats become wightified. If they sail the ships back into Eastwatch with a cargo of dormant wights from Hardhome, then things would get serious.

You could be right, so I'm not saying otherwise, but I am pretty sure that the brothers at Eastwatch probably patrol the coast, just like the rangers patrol the interior continent.

The patrols recently will have slowed and shortened due to the many deaths during the wildling assault so that perhaps a few miles north of the Wall is watched. The Others are massing further north, in the Land of Always Winter, and moving south.

you have a point. Plus, Eastwatch has lost many ships recently.

I dont think it will happen that way, but I think differently then most people on the board, so what do I know.

Yeah, I don't think it's all that likely. It's just I couldn't think of a way that the Others could break the Wall, so I tried to think of ways they could get around it rather than through/over/under it.

The NW men would not be as stupid as to bring back a corpse, and any wildling with blue eyes would probably be burnt as a precaution. The real problem comes if the NW men on the boats become wightified. If they sail the ships back into Eastwatch with a cargo of dormant wights from Hardhome, then things would get serious.

Or, a wildling that dies from their wight-induced injury whilst on ship. Also, if the NW men don't accept injured people I'm sure some could hide their scars, as I highly doubt there would be enough time to conduct a full body inspection with Others and storms threatening to kill everybody.

But either way, a full scale zombie plague could happen. At first there would be many people in the North who don't know what a wight is, or how to kill them, until they have their hands around their throats. Villages would be sweeped away and castles starved out, nearly the whole North may perish.

Or, a wildling that dies from their wight-induced injury whilst on ship. Also, if the NW men don't accept injured people I'm sure some could hide their scars, as I highly doubt there would be enough time to conduct a full body inspection with Others and storms threatening to kill everybody.

But either way, a full scale zombie plague could happen. At first there would be many people in the North who don't know what a wight is, or how to kill them, until they have their hands around their throats. Villages would be sweeped away and castles starved out, nearly the whole North may perish.

Yeah, that sounds possible. When the wights sweep through the North, I don't think many lords are going to care about Stannis, the Boltons, the Freys or the Starks. It'll be every man for himself. And then when the North is consumed, there will be over a million wights in the Others' horde. It kinda dwarfs the 50,000 armies of the Reach that used to seem so big, doesn't it?

What if...

A ship or two does make it back from Hardhome, and there are a few infected wildlings (say, a corpse that was stuffed in some dark corner of the boat that stays 'inactive' for a bit) that go relatively unnoticed, and when dumped back on land start to infect other wildlings, and then those kill and infect more until...

Seven save us.

I don´t think the wights are infectious; it seems that anybody who is killed by the others becomes a wight. Another option is that they can raise any well-preserved dead body regardless of how it died.

I don´t think the wights are infectious; it seems that anybody who is killed by the others becomes a wight. Another option is that they can raise any well-preserved dead body regardless of how it died.

So it is sort of like the spread of an infection in a way then - one wight kills a man who becomes a wight who kills a man.... and so on.

Yeah, I don't think it's all that likely. It's just I couldn't think of a way that the Others could break the Wall, so I tried to think of ways they could get around it rather than through/over/under it.

I think they've been raising Craster's sons and some are in the Night's Watch and some among the Wildings. Manchurian Crows just waiting to open the gates.

Hmm well if the wights aren't infectious then the Others must have been banking all their kills before using them for the assault of the Fist, because there was a LOT of wights.

That being said I don't think we know how the 'infection' is spread (via wight or Other or both) and your guess is as good as mine. However, unless the Others themselves have massive armies then it would be difficult for them to take all of Westoros if THEY can only infect people, and not their minions.

What I was trying to get at in my sarcastic post. Was that, as soon as you see a map of Westeros, you realize there's no way the Wall could keep anyone, even it fully manned. They have two massive coastlines. There's nothing to say the Others couldn't build boats, sail to Essos, walk south and then invade via Dorne. Clearly, boats and swimming have to have been eliminated as a means of conveyance for the Others. Even if it has not been explained. If the wall is all that's holding them back. And they can build boats or go through the water. Then they already would have.

I think they've been raising Craster's sons and some are in the Night's Watch and some among the Wildings. Manchurian Crows just waiting to open the gates.

What I was trying to get at in my sarcastic post. Was that, as soon as you see a map of Westeros, you realize there's no way the Wall could keep anyone, even it fully manned. They have two massive coastlines. There's nothing to say the Others couldn't build boats, sail to Essos, walk south and then invade via Dorne. Clearly, boats and swimming have to have been eliminated as a means of conveyance for the Others. Even if it has not been explained. If the wall is all that's holding them back. And they can build boats or go through the water. Then they already would have.

But who's to say that they have had to build up their numbers since losing the War for the Dawn? Who's to say they were not nearly completely wiped out then and only now have they reached a number that makes it a realistic ambition to reclaim Westeros? What if they have been waiting for a time of division amongst the Westerosi, with wars erupting left, right and centre? The thing that makes the Others so utterly impossible to predict is that we know barely anything about them. Where the Others are concerned anything is possible.

we know people that they haven't killed, become Wights.

Jon had to laugh. “You never change.” “Oh, I do.” The grin melted away like snow in summer. “I am not the man I was at Ruddy Hall. Seen too much death, and worse things too. My sons …” Grief twisted Tormund’s face. “Dormund was cut down in the battle for the Wall, and him still half a boy. One o’ your king’s knights did for him, some bastard all in grey steel with moths upon his shield. I saw the cut, but my boy was dead before I reached him.
And Torwynd … it was the cold claimed him
Always sickly, that one. He just up and died one night. The worst o’ it,
before we ever knew he’d died he rose pale with them blue eyes
. Had to see to him m’self. That was hard, Jon.” Tears shone in his eyes. “He wasn’t much of a man, truth be told, but he’d been me little boy once, and I loved him.”

But who's to say that they have had to build up their numbers since losing the War for the Dawn? Who's to say they were not nearly completely wiped out then and only now have they reached a number that makes it a realistic ambition to reclaim Westeros? What if they have been waiting for a time of division amongst the Westerosi, with wars erupting left, right and centre? The thing that makes the Others so utterly impossible to predict is that we know barely anything about them. Where the Others are concerned anything is possible.

Why do they need the build up there numbers? No one knows how to kill. Meh. As I've said many times before on the forum. I predict the Others are not evil. They will form an alliance one some of the people lining in Westeros, just as the children of the forest did before them.

Why do they need the build up there numbers? No one knows how to kill. Meh. As I've said many times before on the forum. I predict the Others are not evil. They will form an alliance one some of the people lining in Westeros, just as the children of the forest did before them.

Dragonglass, which Sam found out quite easily. And if they're not evil, I will feel really disappointed with GRRM. He can't just build them up to be this huge monstrous threat and then make them want peace!

Archived