A blindingly obvious way to bypass the Wall...

The Last Direwolf

Salt water doesn't freeze.

Nonsense! It most certainly does. Do you think you can go for a swim at the North Pole? Pretty sure it’s still solid ice up there.

In fact, the reason Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit chose 0°F was because that was that was the freezing point of brine. That’s why throwing salt on your sidewalk when it’s below zero might as well be sand for as much good as it does.

Over the Gorge? Why not just slaughter their way over the Bridge of Skulls - the Night's Watch couldn't not really withstand a strong attack of wights with it's force spread so thin.

Yes! The dead things in the water could be wights... Wights aren't alive, so theoretically, couldn't they simply walk along the seabed and walk out onto the beaches of the North and assault the Wall from the south?

And you could just abbreviate it to tLBtW (the Land Beyond the Wall).

The Bridge of Skulls has no gate? I wish we knew a little more about it and the Shadow Tower.

I think that the others are restricted in certain ways that involve magic. The cave where certain people are currently hiding is warded, the wall was magically built to keep them out. The Stark in Winterfell and or the missing horn might lead to a wall breach.

Nonsense! It most certainly does. Do you think you can go for a swim at the North Pole? Pretty sure it’s still solid ice up there.

In fact, the reason Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit chose 0°F was because that was that was the freezing point of brine. That’s why throwing salt on your sidewalk when it’s below zero might as well be sand for as much good as it does.

When sea water freezes it becomes fresh water correct?

Yes! The dead things in the water could be wights... Wights aren't alive, so theoretically, couldn't they simply walk along the seabed and walk out onto the beaches of the North and assault the Wall from the south?

I could be wrong, but I thought that's pretty much what was going to happen, with all the sunken ships from Eastwatch, which were trying to transport large numbers of human beings. I just saw large numbers of wights crawling out of the sea, attacking whatever force remains at Eastwatch, and moving west to take the others castles along the wall. I thought that Patchface was basically tipping us off about this if it wasn't already clear. And now, with the chaos that's likely to be happening at Castle Black, who's going to stop them? And they could also open the gates at Eastwatch to let the Others through.

Marching wights on the seabed would be incredibly slow and sacrifice a lot of them. There is just to much that would damage the tissue. But the Others have a sizable bunch ripe for plucking at Hardhomme.

And TLbtW just doesn't roll of the tongue. It lacks vocals. I'll stay with Beyond-the-Wall until someone comes up with something better.

What an unprecident and original idea but...

If the Others could find a way to build ships, which shouldn't be too hard if they have a certain degree of intelligence, couldn't they just pack the boats full of wights and land their armies south of the Wall, completely bypassing the magics in the Wall? Or does the magic keeping them back stretch over the sea as well?

Who needs boats?

At Hardhome, with six ships. Wild seas. Blackbird lost with all hands, two Lyseni ships driven aground on Skane, Talon taking
water. Very bad here. Wildlings eating their own dead. Dead things in the woods. Braavosi captains will only take women, children on their ships. Witch women call us slavers. Attempt to take Storm Crow defeated, six crew dead, many wildlings. Eight ravens left.
Dead things in the water.
Send help by land, seas wracked by storms. From Talon, by hand of Maester Harmune.
Cotter Pyke had made his angry mark below.
“Is it grievous, my lord?” asked Clydas.
“Grievous enough.” Dead things in the wood. Dead things in the water. Six ships left, of the eleven that set sail. Jon Snow rolled up the parchment, frowning. Night falls, he thought, and now my war begins.

I guess we have to look at what Mel did at Storms End she managed to bypass the wards by going under it. The wights in AGOT got through by being taken through the gate by the Nights Watch itself but it was daylight and they were inactive. If they were active could they get through if the gate is open? The Wall did not prevent them from activating once they got through so the Wall does not effect them once they are through.

Marching wights on the seabed would be incredibly slow and sacrifice a lot of them. There is just to much that would damage the tissue. But the Others have a sizable bunch ripe for plucking at Hardhomme.

And TLbtW just doesn't roll of the tongue. It lacks vocals. I'll stay with Beyond-the-Wall until someone comes up with something better.

The Others have a lot of wights, so the risk of some getting so heavily damaged that they can't fight isn't too much of an enormous worry for them. And besides, even if they were just animating skeletons with flaps of flesh left on them by the time they arrived on the beaches, why can't skeletons fight?

I guess we have to look at what Mel did at Storms End she managed to bypass the wards by going under it. The wights in AGOT got through by being taken through the gate by the Nights Watch itself but it was daylight and they were inactive. If they were active could they get through if the gate is open? The Wall did not prevent them from activating once they got through so the Wall does not effect them once they are through.

That made me think... If the Others wightified the crews of the ships sent to Hardhome, could the ships sail back into Eastwatch (heavily damaged, of course) with a cargo full of inactive wildling wights and unleash them from there? The men of Eastwatch would only realise they were letting in wights when the ships came close enough for them to see the blue in the eyes, and by then they will not be able to stop them.

Down here we use sand on the roads to melt ice.

I have to say that I won't accept the Others getting through without at least part of the Wall falling.

I think they've been raising Craster's sons and some are in the Night's Watch and some among the Wildings. Manchurian Crows just waiting to open the gates.

I guess we have to look at what Mel did at Storms End she managed to bypass the wards by going under it.

NO SHE DID NOT. She bypassed the ward by having Davos transport her.

The wights in AGOT got through by being taken through the gate by the Nights Watch itself but it was daylight and they were inactive.

Or playing dead.

If they were active could they get through if the gate is open?

They'd have to be transported across the way Melisandre was. Not under her own power.

The Wall did not prevent them from activating once they got through so the Wall does not effect them once they are through.

I think that if the Eastwatch men saw the Others building ships, they would destroy them before they were completed. I'm sure it takes a couple months or maybe even a year to build even a small ship back then.

I think that if the Eastwatch men saw the Others building ships, they would destroy them before they were completed. I'm sure it takes a couple months or maybe even a year to build even a small ship back then.

And the Eastwatch men can see the entire land north of the Wall? Of course not. They could build them out of sight of the Wall, then sail them south. The Watch has no naval strength to stop a landing

Archived