Minor POV becomes major POV in WOW?

ledlevee

I've been re-reading the series looking for any mention of shadows because of a few things grrm has said. He said no character would go farther east then they've been, given the timeline of only 2 books left and these words it seems we will never see ashai. Second when asked who knows who Jon's parents are he said "The Shadow knows". I am of the opinion ...

"The Shadow knows" is a reference to an old radio program and comic book character. I don't believe it refers to any of the characters in the book at all.

Melisandre? The thought never occurred to me. It is a possibility, I suppose, but Asha and Theon look more likely to me. Theon, particularly, could be very interesting as a wall POV.

Melisandre doesn't really fit IMO, because her character needs a bit of ambiguity. I see the ADWD chapter as an anomaly that might not have been possible under slightly different circunstances, such as those I expect to exist during TWOW.

I also hope and expect for a lot more Davos and Barristan chapters in TWOW. Victarion is likely to have some more screen time as well.

Second when asked who knows who Jon's parents are he said "The Shadow knows"

While he may be speaking with a dual meaning, Martin was undoubtedly referencing the old American radio serial "The Shadow." That was a tagline of the show, and it's something I'd imagine Martin would know.

Now, he could be being very witty, but there's a chance all he was saying was, "I'm not telling."

when asked who knows who Jon's parents are he said "The Shadow knows"

You know that's a joke, right? A reference to the old radio series "The Shadow"? That was the tagline. There's no reason to think it's any clue to "shadows" in the Ice & Fire series.

GRRM has promised not to include any new POV's in any future books.

No, not at all. Martin has said that apart from {pro,epi}logues, he would try not to give a point of view to a character we haven’t met yet. But he also very explicitly made no promises, contrary to your supercited misstatement above, and he will do whatever needs to be done.

Note very carefully that there are nearly an infinitude of characters whom we have met already, even though they have not yet had their own point of view, and who might thus still be available under a careful reading of his statement of intent — albeit an admittedly somewhat casuistic one. Not that he’s never done something like that before, mind you.

In short, he’ll try to avoid giving Gerion Lannister a point of view, but Hodor’s fair game! ; )

"The Shadow knows" is a reference to an old radio program and comic book character. I don't believe it refers to any of the characters in the book at all.

God I feel so old - I would listen to reruns of that on the radio when I was kid because my dad said he loved it growing up. It was a pretty neat show - kind of spooky. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men. I think there was a crappy 90s movie staring one of the baldwins as well.

Archived