What if Martin dies before the series a completed?

Saci Targaryen

A very gloomy scenario, but possible nonetheless... a car accident, bird flu, a bolt of lightining... valar morgulhis.

He should at least leave some bullet points to the end he intended in case the unthinkable happens. Imagine if Tolkien died after the Two Towers and we never got to know what happened to Frodo,Sam etc...

This is the sort of thing that is kind of frowned upon discussing here. But he's given the TV show creators enough material, apparently, to finish it accurately in the event that he's unable to and/or the show overtakes the book. As for the books themselves, he's said that if he isn't around to finish them, they won't be finished.

It would be a huge dissapointment. I look at Jordans wheel of time and Brandon Sandersons continuation of it as an example of what a skilled writer can do with another mans world. It would be a huge shame and i would love if it was finished in some way or another, but het its Georges story so its his choice

Personally, if GRRM doesn't get to finish it, I'd rather it were left unfinished. Why? Because I could never trust - or really respect - any of the major decisions that come in the new author's continuation. I would always wonder what was meant to be there, if the new author and the publishers had their own plans, and what GRRM would have wanted. If he hates fanfiction, I can't imagine how irritated he'd be by someone else coming in once he's helpless and gone and stealing his baby.

*mod hat* As one of the posters mentioned above, this is one of the few areas of discussion that we generally have a low tolerance of. This is long-standing board policy. Closing thread */mod hat*

Archived