Were the Starks poor?

The Frosted King

I remember Arya hiding Needle under piles of what seem to be nice clothes (silks) so the Starks could afford to dress nicely, but wool is a lot more practical than silk in the North. Lysa in the Vale also had chests full of velvet and samite dresses; "Alayne's" wool dress is described as little better than a serving girl's, and it's a good quality wool with embroidery, so...I think most of the great houses had money to splash on clothing, armor and so on.

And Winterfell seems like a really well-equipped dwelling with the greenhouses and heating system and library and so on.

The really poor Great Houses are the Greyjoys and Reeds, I think. Both live on quite poor land. The Greyjoys glory days of raiding are past and the Reeds are crannogmen and that is a different (and somewhat despised) culture than the rest of Westeros. Meera tells Bran that she grew up learning her hunting skills from her father and she had no maesters or men-at-arms at Greywater Watch. (Which makes me think that the crannogmen are best prepared for survival in a famine or other crisis where everyone is on their own; look how Meera provides for Bran and Co. on their trek north. Maybe she could partner up with Davos - he could sell onions, she could sell frog legs...)

So here is how I see it: Very wealthy - Lannisters, Tyrells, probably Hightowers as well

Comparatively poor - Greyjoys, Reeds

Everyone else - about average

Oh, and I just want to add mail was as expensive as plate and actually plate became cheaper in the late 15th beacus it was mass produced. So, mail is expensive as well and very good protection its a little heavier an harder on the shoulders then plate but it will keep you alive.

You have to realize that there's a division between the great Houses and the minor ones, with a few exceptions like the Hightowers, Manderlys, Redwynes, etc... So the great Houses, except for Pyke, would be billionaires* or millionaires* 100's of times over. Whereas the minor houses would be millionaires only and son and so forth.

Having said that, I agree that Starks would probably be third after the Lannisyers and the Tyrells. As a matter of fact, don't be surprised if they're actually second, seeing as they've been a Great House for thousands of years and the Tyrells have only been a Great House for 300 years. The Tyrells may make more on a yearly basis, but still be behind in total wealth.

Either way, the Starks are at the very least millionaires hundreds of times over. They're just not ostentatious.

* I'm using the terms billionaires and millionaires as a reference point to today's currency to make it easier.

Having said that, I agree that Starks would probably be third after the Lannisyers and the Tyrells. As a matter of fact, don't be surprised if they're actually second, seeing as they've been a Great House for thousands of years and the Tyrells have only been a Great House for 300 years. The Tyrells may make more on a yearly basis, but still be behind in total wealth.

I agree with everything you said except this, no way they are second. Third is most probable.

I agree with everything you said except this, no way they are second. Third is most probable.

Fair enough. I was just throwing it out there. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. But they definitely have beaucoup bucks.

Can't see how anyone can get the impression of the Starks being third in terms of wealth.

Ahead of the famously fertile Vale of Arryn?

Or the lush, fertile riverlands?

The riverlands has more lords than the north iirc, so that means more money in taxes gained.

That money is also presumably spent repairing the Riverlands, since it gets trashed about once every twenty years. I'm sure the Tullys spend a lot more money than the Starks.

I don't know where I'd rank the Starks overall in terms of wealth. But they are for sure ahead of the Greyjoys and for sure behind the Lannisters and Tyrells.

Yea, I doubt the Starks are third, the Hightowers seem to be as rich as the Lannisters and Gulltown is bigger than White Harbor.

1. Lannisters

2. Hightowers

3. Tyrells

4. Arryns

5. Starks

I would put the Starks ahead of the Arryns but I agree with the rest. Its stated by Tyrion and not disputed by LF, who is at the table, that the Tyrells are richer than the Starks.

I had third on the list of Great Houses. I don't see how a House who's only been prominent for 300 years can accumulate more than 8,000 years worth of wealth. But even if they're fifth they're not hurting for money.

If the Starks have so much money, then where is it?

No one seems to be talking about the massive amounts of plunder taken from Winterfel.

Do they perhaps have a ridiculously large account with the Iron Bank? Beyond their incomes we have to realize that they've been pretty much left alone since Aegon's conquest, where as far as we know they bent the knee with out a single loss. I don't believe they participated in the dance of dragons, or any of the internal affairs of the south until Robert's rebellion.

How will this factor into things in the future?

As I said we can tell from the quality of the armor their men are wearing that they are very wealthy. Mail and plate are expensive for ned to be willing to pay for ser hughs armor says alot about the families finances. Regarding the vale and riverlands, the north has lumber in abundance bravos needs wood. I am sure they are trading. As well the "southern" part of the north, the rills and barowlands are most likely very fertile and no wear near as cold as the areas north of winterfell. White harbor is one of the only towns in westeros and has silver mines. The north is well off.

Yeah, the Starks are about average in terms of great house wealth. They're nowhere near the level of the Lannisters and the Tyrells, and I'd bet the Arryns have more money, but aside from that it's all pretty even. They're way richer than the greyjoys at least.

I dont think so, I dont have the books available at the moment but if jory neds sworn sword has plate so does robb.

No he's right, Robb went to battle in mail:-

AGOT, Robb leaving Winterfell, never to return :(

He was mounted on a shaggy grey stallion, his shield hung from the horse's side; wood banded with iron, white and grey, and on it the snarling face of a direwolf. His brother wore grey chainmail over bleached leathers, sword and dagger at his waist, a fur-trimmed cloak across his shoulders.

This is in accordance with George RR Martin's comments that plate is relatively rare in the North, where mail is much more common.

I can't think of any instances, off the top of my head, where a Northerner was wearing plate in the books. Surely they would have to in tournaments?

EDIT: it may be that there was no time for them to fashion a suit of plate for Robb before he left Winterfell. I don't believe that the Starks couldn't afford plate, that's ridiculous.

No he's right, Robb went to battle in mail:-

AGOT, Robb leaving Winterfell, never to return :(

This is in accordance with George RR Martin's comments that plate is relatively rare in the North, where mail is much more common.

I can't think of any instances, off the top of my head, where a Northerner was wearing plate in the books. Surely they would have to in tournaments?

Ah ok, but jory was wearing plate at roberts tourney jorah wears plate as well. And as I said mail is just as expensive.

Ah ok, but jory was wearing plate at roberts tourney jorah wears plate as well. And as I said mail is just as expensive.

Yeah, I edited my post to say that I think Robb just probably was too young to have a suit of plate ready for him when he left Winterfell.

Archived