Characters that you didn't think would last this long

Tywin Smiled

Which characters have defied your expectations and survived until the end of ADWD?

For myself, I thought these would all have been dead by now, not necessarily because I don't like them, but that I thought would have been killed off for plot reasons:

• The Blackfish
  • Roose Bolton (I thought Ramsay would have killed him off by now)
  • Edmure Tully
  • Jorah Mormont (Assumed he would be a tragic mentor type for Dany)
  • Lancel Lannister
  • At least one, if not more, of Jon's gang from the NW - Grenn, Pyp, et al. Jon really knows how to pick 'em.
  • Davos (as much as I love him)
  • Xaro Xhoan Daxos
  • Barristan Selmy (his musings before he goes to take Hizdhar into captivity made me seriously worry for his health in the immediate future)
  • Myrcella (I really thought she wouldn't have lasted this long in Dorne)
  • Meryn Trant (only one of the KG to have served throughout the entire series so far - he must have a charmed existence)

Any others?

Ser Meryn, I am shocked that he is still alive. Dude just won't die.

The other one is Ser Jorah. I am sure he would have been kilt in an ambush by Daario N. since Daario never liked him in the first place.

I thought Strong Belwas was dead after he ate the poisoned snacks . . surprise GRRM kept him alive.

Stannis Baratheon. I was sure he'd get killed/assassinated somewhere by now. But he's lasted 5 books and is apparently alive in the 6th book.

Yeah how does Ser Maryn Trant keep surviving? Another mystery indeed. Though isn't Ser Baros Blount also a KG since the beginning? And he's still alive (another miracle).

The other mentioned here all have reasons why they didn't check out. They were lucky that's all.

Stannis Baratheon. I was sure he'd get killed/assassinated somewhere by now. But he's lasted 5 books and is apparently alive in the 6th book.

Yeah how does Ser Maryn Trant keep surviving? Another mystery indeed. Though isn't Ser Baros Blount also a KG since the beginning? And he's still alive (another miracle).

The other mentioned here all have reasons why they didn't check out. They were lucky that's all.

Boros Blount does get kicked out of the KG by Cersei after he gives up Tommen to Tyrion's men too easily, but he's reinstated when Tywin comes to KL. But yeah, Blount's another one I'm amazed is still kicking.

Stannis is the big one. Only one of the 5 kings to still breathe, so I guess one might say he kind of won the war of the 5 kings. What always interested me is if Tommen and Myrcella were to die, people would have to support Stannis as the rightful king. I would just hire 2 faceless men and be done with it instead of fooling around in the North. He avoided Renly's massive army, avoided death at blackwater, survived storms and wildling battle at the wall, now he is surrounded by snow and apparently dead but i'm not too sure.

Minor contenders - Theon, Bran (thought he was dead after chapter 1), Dany's blood riders, sweetrobin, alliser thorne, walder frey, pretty sure all of them would be dead by now.

I too was shocked that Edmure and the Greatjon survived the RW. I thought most (if not all) of the people who went in with Robb were butchered.

Sam is another one I thought would be dead by now. I have no idea how he's made it through such a harsh world and still be the way he is.

I'm also pretty sure Sweetrobin is going to bite the dust soon.

I was always surprised that Varys made it to the first book, you would have thought that Robert would have had him killed. He may have been useful but surely you could get someone else to do his whispering lark, someone that wasn't assumed to be somewhat untrustworthy by just about everyone.

Stannis, at the onset of the war he had the smallest army/resources and fewest supporters. somehow he's the only one of the original claimants to the Iron Throne from the War of the Five Kings who is still alive. Then again, I guess having an ancient fire sorceress is a big advtantage.

Don't worry, the poor man jackass is on his last legs as seen in the Kevan chap, I think that the royal food taster is about to bite the dust.

But anyhow.

Stannis and Davos (they just can't seem to die)

The Blackfish

Bran (I thought he was gone in book one)

Strong Belwas (Though he was a goner after the locusts)

Sweetrobin

Daario (Why didn't GMMR show his body being flung into Mereen? I can't handle another scene with him alive)

Archived