Small questions v.10001

Angalin

And Serra, whose stone hands Illyrio keeps in memory of their love... yeah, GRRM seems to focus a lot on hands. Otoh, he also has a lot of people with eye injuries (Euron, Bloodraven, Timmett, One-Eye, Willow, Crowfood Umber, and probably more than I remember right now). If you count the Unsullied as different characters then he has quite a parade of eunuchs, and I don't want to evem begin those with leg injuries or lame legs etc...

I'd say he has a deep bench of characters for every body part, but hands do seem to crop up a lot.

Considering all the Eunochs there are much more cock & ball injuries than hand and eye!

Is Maya Stones father Robert Baratheon?

When we first meet her, one of the Knights of the Vale says she has some goat in her. I know that Baratheon is the Stag so was wondering if this had any other meaning?

Yes she is, but that comment only meant that she is very good on finding the way up the mountain.

Also, What the hell a stag has to with a goat?

Could someone clear up the familial continuity of the Dunk and Egg stories when compared with ASOIAF? I'm a little confused about which Aegon "Egg" is, and how he is related to the living Targaryens by the time of ASOIAF. From what I understand, he is Dany's great-grandfather, and Maester Aemon's younger brother. Is that correct?

He is Aegon V. In a brief summary of his relations:

Father: Maekar I.

Brothers: Daeron the Drunken, Aerion Brightflame, Maester Aemon.

Sisters: Daella, Rhae. They were both love interests of Aegon V, though whether he married them is unknown.

Sons: Duncan the Small, Jaehaerys II.

Daughter: Rhaelle Targaryen-Baratheon.

Daughter-in-law: Jenny of Oldstones.

Grandsons: Aerys II the Mad, Steffon Baratheon.

Granddaughter: Rhaella.

Granddaughter-in-law: Cassana Estermont.

Great-Grandsons: Rhaegar, Viserys III, Robert I Baratheon, Stannis I Baratheon, Renly I Baratheon.

Great-Granddaughter: Daenerys I.

Great-granddaughters-in-law: Elia Martell, Cersei Lannister, Selyse Florent, Margaery Tyrell.

Great-Grandsons-in-law: Khal Drogo, Hizdahr zo Loraq.

Great-Great-Grandsons: Aegon VI, Rhaego, Joffrey I Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Tommen Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Gendry (bastard), Edric Storm (bastard).

Great-Great-Granddaughters: Rhaenys, Myrcella Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Mya Stone (bastard), Bella (bastard), Barra (bastard), Shireen Baratheon.

Great-Great-Granddaughter-in-law: Margaery Tyrell (same as above).

Yes she is, but that comment only meant that she is very good on finding the way up the mountain.

Also, What the hell a stag has to with a goat?

Stag has nothing to do with goat. Just that I was re reading AGOT and couldn't remember who was revealed as her father and wondered if the mention of goat was anything. All good

Sisters: Daella, Rhae. They were both love interests of Aegon V, though whether he married them is unknown.

Great-Grandsons: Rhaegar, Viserys III, Robert I Baratheon, Stannis I Baratheon, Renly I Baratheon.

Great-granddaughters-in-law: Elia Martell, Cersei Lannister, Selyse Florent, Margaery Tyrell.

Great-Great-Grandsons: Aegon VI, Rhaego, Joffrey I Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Tommen Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Gendry (bastard), Edric Storm (bastard).

Great-Great-Granddaughters: Rhaenys, Myrcella Baratheon (legally, not in blood), Mya Stone (bastard), Bella (bastard), Barra (bastard), Shireen Baratheon.

Kudos

What's the deal with Sothoros and Ulthos? We hear sweet FA about both, but they're still very interesting. Why would GRRM add in two continents and not have them significant or even mentioned more than once every few books. Also what lies beyond the Sunset Sea and why have the Ironborn never tried to cross it?

I've just finished ADWD... I've heard of Dunk & Egg but know nothing of them. How many books regarding D&E are there and what are they called?

I tried this question in another thread but didn't see an answer. Anyway, is there any evidence in the text, either direct or implied, that Aerys was angry about Rhaegar taking Lyanna? I know that is the general belief of most people on the board but I can't remember anywhere in the books that this is stated. I ask because I have a theory that depends on what Aerys' reaction to Rhaegar and Lyanna was.

I tried this question in another thread but didn't see an answer. Anyway, is there any evidence in the text, either direct or implied, that Aerys was angry about Rhaegar taking Lyanna? I know that is the general belief of most people on the board but I can't remember anywhere in the books that this is stated. I ask because I have a theory that depends on what Aerys' reaction to Rhaegar and Lyanna was.

Someone mentioned some the other day, but produced no quote or evidence whatsoever.

I know of no such evidence.

There is no direct reference in the books. It's simply an inference people make based on the fact that Aerys was rather paranoid, both about his other lords as well as his own son. So it stands to reason that if his son ran off with the daughter of one of these lords, he'd be a little perturbed.

Do we think it was Varys or Jon Allyn to took Gendry to apprentice? either way, I always thought Robert was behind it.

It was Varys. The description of the man who paid for Gendry's apprenticeship matches the description of one of Varys' disguises. Jon Arryn didn't know anything about the bastard until Stannis brought his suspicions to him. Robert was almost certainly involved in none of it, as he didn't give a damn about any of his bastards.

There is no direct reference in the books. It's simply an inference people make based on the fact that Aerys was rather paranoid, both about his other lords as well as his own son. So it stands to reason that if his son ran off with the daughter of one of these lords, he'd be a little perturbed.

:agree:

Aerys must have found out at some point, we just don't know when. The issue is the when and how of Aerys' reaction. Did he only find out when Brandon showed up at KL? Did Aerys and Rhaegar talk about it when Rhaeger returned? There is just so much we don't know.

@ryestine The forum wants to hear the theory no matter what. :cheers:

Someone mentioned some the other day, but produced no quote or evidence whatsoever.

I know of no such evidence.

Thank you both. That was the understanding that I had. While it's certainly a valid assumption that the mad king would be quite angry about Rhaegar and Lyanna, I simply couldn't help but wonder if there was another possibility. Perhaps I will create a separate thread for this theory of mine, as this obviously isn't the place for it. Thanks again!

Is Maya Stones father Robert Baratheon?

When we first meet her, one of the Knights of the Vale says she has some goat in her. I know that Baratheon is the Stag so was wondering if this had any other meaning?

I thought it was her talent with climbing. I hope to the Seven there are no other meanings

It was Varys. The description of the man who paid for Gendry's apprenticeship matches the description of one of Varys' disguises. Jon Arryn didn't know anything about the bastard until Stannis brought his suspicions to him. Robert was almost certainly involved in none of it, as he didn't give a damn about any of his bastards.

He did care, a little. Although the caring may have been limited to having Varys take care of the ones he knew about. Varys knew of one that he took care of and seven others that were sort of left to their own devices at least when we meet them.

Excellent. What are your sources? I have not found any reference to the family history of Jenny of Oldstones except some side blow reference to Summerhall.

Also the dead twins Cersei killed (Father Robert Baratheon) and the one other bastard Varys knows of and the 8 more Maegi knew of.

I believe it is strongly suggested that Bonifer Hasty gave up tourney after his love for Rhaella was thwarted.

If I remember right, Aerys ordered the pyromancer to burn the city down only after it became apparent that Tywin had just entered the city as an enemy and not an ally. I sort of doubt Jamie was in on any sort of plan. If there was one.

I dont believe for a minute that Jaime could not have been in communication with Tywin.

Archived