What's the point of Ulthos?

Spilly

I like this. Etymology for the word "ultimate" from the Latin "ulter" meaning beyond. So this could mean it's an uninhabited land "beyond" the reaches of the rest of civilization.

We don't know neither it's inhabited or uninhabited. But once there was a city on Ulos... so.

Actually we know nothing about Ulthos. :crying:

We don't know neither it's inhabited or uninhabited. But once there was a city on Ulos... so.

Actually we know nothing about Ulthos. :crying:

We know that the City of Poets may be there (may) and that while it may not be colonised the chances are that traders often venture there for fauna and flora

Here's some thoughts about Ulthos;

-Because of the dark forests, I think these trees are the source of the shade of the evening.

-the City of Poets may be there.

-GRRM give us a tip about it's size i.e he's telling us that it's an Australia analogue.

And we've heard of some certain animals from Syrio;

*hairy mouse pigs as big as cows= diprotodont

*tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch = thylacine or thylacaleo

MARSUPIALS !

...so they can dwell there.

Here's some thoughts about Ulthos;

-Because of the dark forests, I think these trees are the source of the shade of the evening.

-the City of Poets may be there.

-GRRM give us a tip about it's size i.e he's telling us that it's an Australia analogue.

And we've heard of some certain animals from Syrio;

*hairy mouse pigs as big as cows= diprotodont

*tigers that carry their cubs in a pouch = thylacine or thylacaleo

MARSUPIALS !

...so they can dwell there.

Shade of the evening is from Qarth. But what about the plant used to make The Strangler? It's made from a "certain plant that grew only on the isles of the Jade Sea"

...maybe a stretch

Shade of the evening is from Qarth. But what about the plant used to make The Strangler? It's made from a "certain plant that grew only on the isles of the Jade Sea"

...maybe a stretch

I think the warlocks (or the Undying) were import it from Ulthos. It makes sense. There is no other tree type which has dark-purple leaves, right ? :dunno:

I guess the plant used to make The Strangler is some kind of grass or flower. Maybe it's from Marahai :laugh:

@the Prince of Thorns The warlocks of Qarth have a grove of nameless trees that produce the shade around the House of the Undying.

But this is quite suspicious that the only place known in Essos to possess these trees is a 50X50feet courtyard. These trees are from somehwere else.

But this is quite suspicious that the only place known in Essos to possess these trees is a 50X50feet courtyard. These trees are from somehwere else.

:) I was not implying at all that those are the only black-trees in all Essos, only that they have the supply there to make the shade. I doubt that they have to trade it/collect it on Ulthos, possibly they hold the trees as mystical, sacred or very important to their cult and so they have them around the temple.

I am in favour of the Ulthos theory, note that GRRM was pretty specific when describing the landscape to the artist commissioned to make the maps. Shown here: http://www.fantasticmaps.com/2013/03/the-east/

We could ask the maker if Martin told him something besides describing Ulthos.

Salut!

PS: Also I have a feeling that the city ruins in the island of Ulos is the so-called City of Dead Poets.

I feel that you misunderstood what I was trying to say. :P

Uh, I got it now xd

PS: Also I have a feeling that the city ruins in the island of Ulos is the so-called City of Dead Poets.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

• 2 months later...

Here's an out there theory, based on too much thoughtful gazing at "The East" map and the belief that GRRM is hiding some important clues in this map.

With a flip of letters,

Ulos = Soul

Ulthos = Soul & South

I believe Ulthos are the Night Lands, and Ulos is probably the "southern" pole of the axis that links the Night Lands and the "real world". (Where is the "northern" pole? Maybe Bear Island if you flip the map?)

The weird dark coloring of Ulthos and the fact that it's just sort of barely coming into view may link its strange appearance to the fact that magic has been slowly returning to the world.

Remember the witch's prophecy about Drogo returning? Remember Dany saw Drogo riding off into the Night Lands?

This is a fantasy series, after all, so it's okay to fantasize your theories!

• 8 months later...

Archived