Greatest Warriors of Westeros

ViperOfDorne

That makes him a bad tactician but proves nothing about his individual skill. As for Brienne he underestimated her and she isn't exactly an easy opponent. As for the "untested boys", both were trained knights. I'm not a Loras fan but he has skill, otherwise he would never have beat Jamie in the joust at the Tourney for Joffrey's 12th nameday.

Harlan, the Mountain is a great warrior due to his sheer size, reach, strength and instincts but he isn't as skilled as say someone like Jamie or Barristan. That's the way I see him anyway. Feel free to disagree.

He is one of the greatest warriors in westoros.

That's what I said. Just not one of the most skilled.

agreed. Sorry about the argument. I looked back to your first post that I responded to and see that I misinterpreted your post. I apologize for the misunderstanding. For reference, the post I am talking about is

Which fight is that because the siege of Dragonstone wasn't a pitched battle and Loras was injured by burning oil, not because someone else bested him in combat. I agree the Mountain isn't as skilled as people [in Westeros] think he is.

I took this to mean that you did not believe the mountain was a great warrior. Clearly I misunderstood your post. You merely stated that he was not the most skilled warrior. You have since made clarifying statements which proved my original interpretation of your statement wrong. I apologize again for the misunderstanding. :cheers:

It's useless to put the best fighters in order since even a fight between #1 and #10 is pretty much 50/50. Putting people in tiers is much more logical. There's bound to be some names missing on the list, but it contains most of the important ones.

Tier #1 (Way above average knight, about 90/10 against Average Knight)

Aemon Targaryen

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy

Daemon Blackfyre

Gregor Clegane

Gwayne Corbray

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

Tier #2 (Above average knight, about 77/23 against AK)

Aegor Rivers

Garlan Tyrell

Khal Drogo

Lyn Corbray

Mance Rayder

Oberyn Martell

Qhorin Halfhand

Rhaegar Targaryen

Robert Baratheon

Syrio Forel

Yohn Royce

etc.

Tier #3 (Above average knight, about 63/37 against AK)

Brandon Stark

Brienne Tarth

Bronn Stokeworth

Loras Tyrell

Victarion Greyjoy

Yoren

etc.

Tier #4 (Average knight)

Jon Snow

Ned Stark

Robb Stark

etc.

Tier # 5 (Below average knight, about 37/63 vs AK)

Average Guard

etc.

- Barristan (best seven kingdoms warrior)

- Arthur Dayne (his reputation dudes)

- Gerold Hightower (according by both jaime and robert)

- Jaime (Brienne beats a weak jaime remember this)

- King Robert (he just was a beast)

But i think there are many we can't order

Jaqen (possibly stronger than the 4th)

idem for Syryo Forel (if he's not Jaqen)

then we have others like Blackfish, Sandor, Belwas, Robert Strong maybe !!!, Jorah, Khal Drogo, The beta version Victarion, Howland Reed, Oberyn, Bronn, Brienne, Brandon Stark, , Oswell Whent, Yohn, etc..... Lyanna Stark ^^

Jaqen (possibly stronger than the 4th)

idem for Syryo Forel (if he's not Jaqen)

Jaqen could kill anyone, but not in a duel. He's an assassin not a fighter. He's probably better than your average knight but not on level with the top fighters. Think about it. Jaqen has been training to kill with all kinds of ways for years, whereas people like Jaime have been training to fight for their whole lives.

Also, Syrio is very skilled but since he fights without armor he can't really win against the top fighters. Anyone who's even close to Syrio's skill level will win against him since they only need one hit which doesn't need to do much more than touch Syrio and he's either dead or wounded, whereas Syrio would need to get some VERY well aimed successful hits to win.

Andrik the unsmiling is considered the strongest on the Iron Islands.

Yeah, for all the love Victarion Greyjoy is getting on this thread he isn't considered by the Ironborn to be their best. Dagmar Cleftjaw was when he was in his prime, and as per Dagmar either Andrik or Qarl the Maid is now the best fighter on the isles.

That makes him a bad tactician but proves nothing about his individual skill. As for Brienne he underestimated her and she isn't exactly an easy opponent. As for the "untested boys", both were trained knights. I'm not a Loras fan but he has skill, otherwise he would never have beat Jamie in the joust at the Tourney for Joffrey's 12th nameday.

How can you say Loras is better than Jaime Lannister? Loras lost in a fair fight to Brienne... Jaime fought her to a draw while HANDCUFFED AND WEARING NO ARMOR!!!! Whatchu' talking about Willis!?!?!

I never said he was better than Jamie. I only said he was more skilled than people on this thread gave him credit. Jamie himself has a good opinion of Loras's skills and that's saying something. As for the thing with Brienne, I would like to point out three things. 1: They fought in a melee involving several people, unlike Jamie's 1-on-1, so you have to take into consideration both had been fighting for awhile. 2: Brienne won by using an unorthodox method when fighting Loras: tackling him. Third: Jamie is older, therefore he is more experienced and has a heaver build than Loras. As to the issue of Jamie fighting her to a draw, I thought she was in the process of subduing him when the Brave Companions showed up.

I never said he was better than Jamie. I only said he was more skilled than people on this thread gave him credit. Jamie himself has a good opinion of Loras's skills and that's saying something. As for the thing with Brienne, I would like to point out three things. 1: They fought in a melee involving several people, unlike Jamie's 1-on-1, so you have to take into consideration both had been fighting for awhile. 2: Brienne won by using an unorthodox method when fighting Loras: tackling him. Third: Jamie is older, therefore he is more experienced and has a heaver build than Loras. As to the issue of Jamie fighting her to a draw, I thought she was in the process of subduing him when the Brave Companions showed up.

Jaime was winning the fight until he got tired. Also, he'd been tied to a wall for the last year so it's a wonder he could even walk (I had my other leg in a cast for 6 weeks and could hardly walk after it). And of course he had his hands tied up so he had to use a basic longsword as a greatsword which is a big disadvantage, especially since most of the time Jaime fights with only one hand, so he's not used to fighting with a 2h sword not to speak of a 2h sword which doesn't give the reach advantage that a normal 2h would give.

great post, I'd pick the following, and in no order...

Gerold Hightower

Arthur Dayne

Selmy Barriston

Khal Drogo

Robert Baratheon

Sandor Clegane

Gregor Clegane

Rhaegar Targaryen

Mance Raydar

Jaime Lannister

Not sure why Loras is on anyone’s list, what has he done exactly besides jousting, Blackwater? I’d list Jon and Brienne as well but even though they’re very skilled fighters I see them as warriors in the making. Jaime did say Brienne was freakishly strong during their fight and even though she was able to subdue him, he was, as others have said, chained and weak from being imprisoned. Mance also gave Jon a good beating as rattleshirt so I’d say Jon has some ways to go. That said, at 17 I can see him becoming a true warrior in time as he gets stronger.

I would just like to add that I think Mance Rayder is definitely up there.

"Mance was a wildling child taken by the Night's Watch and raised as one of them." - suggests he received combat training from an extremely young age

The halfhand says "He was the best of us, and the worst as well."

Wildlings follow strength

It is said that "He had to best Tormund twice before the Thenns would join his host"

Makes Jon look a fool in the practice yard and remarks that he "didn't even break a sweat"

Jon repeatedly remarks about how he swings the two handed sword easily with one hand, and never tires, etc etc.

Has experience fighting giants, wargs, white walkers, undead

I would just like to add that I think Mance Rayder is definitely up there.

"Mance was a wildling child taken by the Night's Watch and raised as one of them." - suggests he received combat training from an extremely young age

The halfhand says "He was the best of us, and the worst as well."

Wildlings follow strength

It is said that "He had to best Tormund twice before the Thenns would join his host"

Makes Jon look a fool in the practice yard and remarks that he "didn't even break a sweat"

Jon repeatedly remarks about how he swings the two handed sword easily with one hand, and never tires, etc etc.

Has experience fighting giants, wargs, white walkers, undead

It's never said that he used in one hand, he's not Gregor.

You point are well taken Grey Wind. I just don't think that you believe that Brienne using tactics like tackling and both fighters being fatigued is a greater advantage than Jaime being handcuffed and incarcerated for a year prior to his fight. His showing against Brienne was better than Loras's. Brienne thinks about her duel with Jaime and about his considerable skill. Loras did not seem to make an impression on her. I think he's clearly the better warrior.

Archived