So if the Show catches up with the Books

I am not sure why they would be eager to end this show by season 7. Assuming the ratings stay steady I think this is a very profitable show for them. If they can do 8 seasons I am sure they can be coaxed into approving a season 9. Lets say George finishes Winds of Winter by early 2015. That would give him about three years to write A Dream of Spring. He can get about 1000 of his 1500 pages done in that time and leave the rest up to the producers. The last season, season 9, can just be Dream of Spring.

HBO has never had an hour long drama go for even seven seasons I don't think. The problem is that every few seasons they have to re-negotiate contracts with the actors and crew and each time they do this everyone asks for more money. So the show actually becomes less profitable as time goes on. All it really takes is one of the main cast deciding they want to move on after X years to mess everything up.

We'll get to Winds of Winter before the show does. Then it becomes irrelevant as I find it incredibly unlikely GRRM will ever finish the final book. He's too busy schmoozing at industry gatherings and enjoying his celebrity status. I've seen absolutely nothing in any interview to indicate he still has passion or direction for the future of the series.

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, but I think he prefers to spend the last of his days flirting with red carpet female interviewers and rolling in all the money and the attention. Honestly, I don't really blame him and don't feel like he owes me anything.

He'll be wheeled out in 15 years' time at conventions where he'll give those same tired anecdotes (You all know what I'm talking about!) about the origins of the series. When asked when the next book is coming he'll half-heartedly smile and say he's working on it, before snuggling up to the next fangirl asking for a photo.

He is a total Robert Baratheon now.

Archived