Who instructed Mandon Moore to kill Tyrion?

Lord_Tyrell

At first I thought it was Cersei for sure, but after not even a sideways thought about him not dying, especially after she thinks he killed Joffery, I realized it couldn't be her. Cersei would have been stewing at his funeral about if only Tyrion had died like she intended her precious Joffery would be alive.

Littlefinger makes a lot of sense.

The only problem I see with it being LF is the battle of BW itself. It was a close battle until Tywin shows up. The timing seems off to me. If Tyrion doesn't use all his guile in delaying Stannis forces, Stannis is inside the walls and has Joff and Cersci. At this point LF still needs Tyrion to defend KL. The timing seems to perfect for even a master player like LF. Am I missing something here? Maybe Moore's only friend is Ser Varden and it is a revenge killing after all. Maybe it's Joff. He doesn't need sound motives to off anyone and he hates his Uncle with a passion.

The only problem I see with it being LF is the battle of BW itself. It was a close battle until Tywin shows up. The timing seems off to me. If Tyrion doesn't use all his guile in delaying Stannis forces, Stannis is inside the walls and has Joff and Cersci. At this point LF still needs Tyrion to defend KL. The timing seems to perfect for even a master player like LF. Am I missing something here? Maybe Moore's only friend is Ser Varden and it is a revenge killing after all. Maybe it's Joff. He doesn't need sound motives to off anyone and he hates his Uncle with a passion.

Timing doesn't matter, he just knew it was a matter of time, and he instructed Mandon Moore to make sure that Tyrion doesn't survive the battle. For all he knew, Tywin could have been there well before Stannis arrived, but that still doesn't make a difference for Ser Mandon being near Tyrion in battle.

Just want to point out that Littlefinger knew Tywin and the Tyrells would be coming to save the day at some point, because he's the one who negotiated the deal. So I don't see that much issue with the timing of it. Moore probably had a pretty broad decree — "Just make sure Tyrion doesn't survive the battle."

Varys of course.Tyrion was making good moves to unite and intesify the ties between Tyrells and KL also Dorne and KL.The last thing Varys needs is Dorne helping IT.

Varys didn't need the realm torn apart at that point. Plus he knew that the Martells were plotting against the Lannisters, to where they weren't a concern. Varys isn't even a suspect.

Varys didn't need the realm torn apart at that point. Plus he knew that the Martells were plotting against the Lannisters, to where they weren't a concern. Varys isn't even a suspect.

well he is. since you cant trust anything he say and his plans keep changing

It is possible that LF especially needs Tyrion dead if Stannis wins. If Stannis takes over, there is possibly an investigation into the assaination attempt on comatose Bran (which leads to the discussion about LF's obvious dagger lie) and continued interest in the death of John Arryn.

It is possible that LF especially needs Tyrion dead if Stannis wins. If Stannis takes over, there is possibly an investigation into the assaination attempt on comatose Bran (which leads to the discussion about LF's obvious dagger lie) and continued interest in the death of John Arryn.

come on, if Stannis wins he would have the entire small councile executed

I think it was Littlefinger, however, I always wonder about Tywin's role in the activities in KL.

I think Tywin was a man to fear, and he had a powerful influence on events. I don't think he relied solely on his children for information or services in KL.

I think Tywin would ask Littlefinger, Varys, Pycelle and others to provide him with info and to perform tasks for him. They would all fear him enough that they would "do enough" to stay in his good graces.

The way Tywin sent Tyrion to the front of his battle with "Robb" didn't sit well with me. Then he flattered/ordered Tyrion into going to KL, but he had to know it was a risky and thankless job. He swooped in as a hero to rescue everyone without any word to his family. Having Tyrion die in battle would maintain appearances.

I think LF knew Tywin was coming.

I think LF does work for Tywin, but also works for himself. I don't think LF had really thought about Sansa before she came to KL, and she wasn't part of his plans when she was engaged to Joff.

When her engagement was broken off, he began to desire her as a bride for himself. He is the sort of fellow who owns whorehouses and who was embarassed as a young man by being denied Cat. Therefore, the exotic unattainable is the hand of a highborn maid. If he could marry S and have legitimate children with her, it would boost his standing as well as his land claims.

So I think Tywin may have hinted to LF that Tyrion might be problematic once Tywin rode in to take control. LF had his own reasons for wanting Tyrion gone (Sansa, fear Tyrion knew too much).

I think LF does a lot more than "own cathouses.". I think at least some women who work for him are trained to spy, suss out secrets, and report to LF. I wonder if Shae worked for him.

I think Littlefinger was involved in the attempt to kill Tyrion, though he may have had others suggesting it or hinting at it to him, as well.

LF framed Tyrion for Joff's death-- and nearly got Tyrion executed.

For completeness, you should include the one in which Mandon acted on his own, because Tyrion was responsible - more or less - for the death of Vardis Egen, a knight Moore respected. At least that's the one I buy into.

"Respected" is nice. Weren't there hints of a homosexual relationship between Ser Vardis Egen and Ser Mandon Moore when they lived in KL for 15 years?

Why on earth a Kingsguard should ever do whatever the master of coin wishes?

Also, LF isn't even there by the time KL is attacked nor many days before..

..how would he know that there would have been any chance of killing the dwarf in the front line for Moore so in advance?

More over, what is the problem in the dwarf knowing that he lied regarding the dagger? Would anyone really give any thought of that?

He betrayed the Starks and let them believe whatever they were eagerly to believe.. there isn't any proof of his words and his later

actions in favour of king joffrey surely white wash his deeds in the eyes of the rotten king Joffrei, who has all to thank him for giving him the crown.

No, imho LF is used to lie and has no problem at all if someone perceives that, because he can always lie more. Also, if he really wanted

to get rid of the dwarf, he would have attempted it again in other ways..

..the action against the dwarf has the spice of a children wish of vengeance, Joffrey just caught the chance of getting rid of him without

anyone knowing it was his hand that killed him, and that's it. The king's guard answers only to him, even if he is a child, his most loyal

soldiers would do anything he asks. He sent the gold cloaks to kill all bastards of his father, he sent the assassin against Bran and he again

sent another armed man against his uncle.. he has no goat to face his "enemies" directly and already has an habit into sending someone else

killing for him.. that is how he perceives the sensation of being in power.. not ruling over the realm to build, but ruling over life and death of people.

Finally, who would have be blamed of King Joffrey assassination with the dwarf dead in the LF great plan for allowing Sansa to escape?

Would have LF had to think to another plan entirely?

He is a Merman (see description of his eyes), and was furious that Tyrion set the Blackwater on fire and probably killed his friends and relatives.
That doesn't rule out the possibility that he was in league with LF, since LF is obviously in league with Varys (=mermen), and is heading for the safest (highest) place in order to prepare for the upcoming flooding of Westeros, which is the ultimate plan of Varys (see general appearance of Varys, name of LF's ship).

I honestly thought it was cercei with her fear of the "valonqar" (?spellling), but thanks to this thread I am coming around to the view it was LF. I've been compiling a list of his manipulations, and this fits in with his style. I'm convinced he is one of the most destructive forces in ASoIaF, and as GRRM tells us frequently,LF only serves LF.

Why on earth a Kingsguard should ever do whatever the master of coin wishes?

Also, LF isn't even there by the time KL is attacked nor many days before..

..how would he know that there would have been any chance of killing the dwarf in the front line for Moore so in advance?

More over, what is the problem in the dwarf knowing that he lied regarding the dagger? Would anyone really give any thought of that?

He betrayed the Starks and let them believe whatever they were eagerly to believe.. there isn't any proof of his words and his later

actions in favour of king joffrey surely white wash his deeds in the eyes of the rotten king Joffrei, who has all to thank him for giving him the crown.

Finally, who would have be blamed of King Joffrey assassination with the dwarf dead in the LF great plan for allowing Sansa to escape?

Would have LF had to think to another plan entirely.

Well, where to start with this one:

1) Because Littlefinger likely got Mandon Moore the post, since it is emphasized that neither Jon or Robert liked Mandon Moore at all. Mandon would then be at Littlefinger's command and likely did a ton of spying for him.

2) It's not like it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that Ser Mandon would have the opportunity to kill off Tyrion during some point in the battle. The battle was inevitable.

3) Well, with the dagger, for starters Littlefinger was lucky that Tyrion didn't have him executed the second he walked into King's Landing for that debauchery that nearly got him killed. Also how would Tywin feel that Littlefinger sicked Cat on Tyrion over a bold face lie? Tywin as well would have had Littlefinger executed for that.

4) Littlefinger didn't have the Purple Wedding fully orchestrated by the time he left King's Landing for Highgarden. He was winging it at that point, and I think he planned on Sansa being the "murderer" anyway, but he just saw another opportunity to kill off Tyrion at the Purple Wedding, so he took it.

I actually think, that Littlefinger persuaded Joffrey to tell Mandon to assassinate Tyrion.

Here are my reasons:

-Throughout the books Joffrey mentions some opinions, that seem to have come from someone else ("A good king acts boldly" )

-Littlefinger had a very good reason, to have Tyrion killed (exposing his lie regarding the dagger, his financial dealings, Tyrion told him, he knew, who had killed Jon Arryn)

-During the trial after Joffrey's death one member of the kingsguard says, that Joffrey thought, Tyrion would kill him in order to be king

I think, that Littlefinger told Joffrey, that Tyrion meant to kill him in order to become king. Littlefinger probably convinced him, that in order to be safe, he had to have his uncle killed, maybe he even suggested Mandon Moore. When Mandon Moore saw a good oppurtunity, he tried to kill Tyrion.

In the show LF told us how he can manipulate people without they even notice. He talked about how "special songs" is sang in the vicinity of the target. Beheading of Ned was such an act. Joffrey gave the order and he genuinely thinks the idea is his but he was manipulated by LF. I bet he had enough time to manipulate Jofrey same way to send the assassin for Bran. That was an important stepstone in the Stark-Lannister war he was longing. Murdering Tyrion is a similar act for me. LF manipulated Joffrey but he is not aware that the idead is in fact LF's.

By the way LF considers Tyrion a dangerous opponent and he has a great motive to get rid of him. Same is true for Tyrion. Varys' trust in Tyrion is partly due to fact that Tyrion and LF are great enemies and can never unite for the same cause.

Archived