Maester Aemon and R + L = J

Rhaegar I Targaryen

Does anyone else think it's possible that Maester Aemon had his suspicions about R + L = J? He communicated with Rhaegar frequently, it couldn't have entirely slipped past him that Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna to fulfill the prophecy. Ice and Fire (Stark and Targaryen), Elia incapable of further children, etc. Since their raven communications were largely about the PTWP, I find it likely that Rhaegar shared Elia's condition with Aemon. Then Ned Stark shows up after the war with a bastard, and insists on raising it among his natural born children, which was known to be bizarre for even an acknowledged bastard.

I think it's safe to assume that a man as wise as Aemon might have considered the possibility. I wasn't sure if I should post this in the R + L =J or not, or whether or not this has been discussed.

I missed it :D

Also, I don't think he had -- or it would've come out when he was delirious on the ship with Sam.

That, is what I was looking for. Good point.

Awww haha I'll give you a comment because I feel sorry for you, I find master aemon a really interesting character and it is entirely possible that he had suspicions about r+l=j but the point remains that this is a relatively futile discussion as aemon is dead and we will never know

:D thanks! I feel better now

Yea I was mostly just curious, was doing some re-reading of ADWD and it popped into my head.

I like your topic.

Also, I think it could have crossed his mind. I would go as far as to say that if anyone outside the parties directly involved had the intellect and insight to suspect the truth, that person would have been Maester Aemon.

But most likely he felt the Wall was the safest place for Jon. And without the White Walkers and such, it would truly have been the safest place for him. Even once King Bob died. Hell, especially then, with the vicious Lannisters (who ordered the execution of Rhaegar's known children) looking to cement their rule. Delirious or not, I believe that he would take that secret to the grave.

Of course it's possible that an old blind maester is just an old blind maester. It's not my preferred take on the story, but that hardly makes it impossible.

I have always sort of doubted that Ned was as good at being secretive as he imagined he was. Certainly he was motivated by love and fear and honor and blood, and that gave him the backbone to lie to Robert, shut down the gossip in Winterfell, etc. But I have always liked to think that a few people at least suspected.

I missed it :D

Also, I don't think he had -- or it would've come out when he was delirious on the ship with Sam.

I agree with this. Also, I think this was the reasoning behind making Aemon blind. Jon's face is very Stark-ish but his body seemed kind of Rhaegar-ish to me. It's possible that had Aemon been able to see, he'd have noticed something subtly Targaryen-like about Jon. I do think it's cool though that Aemon recognized some of Egg in Jon even though he was oblivious to who Jon really was.

I agree with this. Also, I think this was the reasoning behind making Aemon blind. Jon's face is very Stark-ish but his body seemed kind of Rhaegar-ish to me. It's possible that had Aemon been able to see, he'd have noticed something subtly Targaryen-like about Jon. I do think it's cool though that Aemon recognized some of Egg in Jon even though he was oblivious to who Jon really was.

i find it so sad that he was in the presence of family and didn't even realize it after longing for it. Makes me depressed.

i find it so sad that he was in the presence of family and didn't even realize it after longing for it. Makes me depressed.

That actually brings up a good point against Aemon putting serious thought into the idea. At the end, he wished he had sought Dany out, that he could have given her counsel on dragon lore and such. If he gave serious consideration to Jon being my son, he probably would have expressed some knowledge.

This doesn't mean that it never crossed his mind tho :idea:

Archived