Dont you think getting Bob drunk when hunting is a really weak plan?

Señor de la Tormenta

Cersei's plan is so dumb and far fetched I'm shocked it actually worked. Think about it, it requires several people to be inept or commit treason, and it hinges on a person getting sloppy drunk or not realizing somebody spiked his wine....And a boar. Having it go off without a hitch does her more harm than good because it made her think she was actually smart enough to be in charge.

I like to think that the majority of their marriage was basically a Wile E. Coyote skit, with Cersei as Wile E. coming up with increasingly convoluted plots to off her oblivious husband (Robert Baratheon as the Roadrunner). The strongwine for example came in a large industrial size jar from Acmetm.

This is one of the best comments I've ever seen.

Cersei's plan is so dumb and far fetched I'm shocked it actually worked. Think about it, it requires several people to be inept or commit treason, and it hinges on a person getting sloppy drunk or not realizing somebody spiked his wine....And a boar. Having it go off without a hitch does her more harm than good because it made her think she was actually smart enough to be in charge.

To be fair, the Lannisters have been untouchable for a whole generation now. I don't think that the concept of failure even occurs to Tywin's children any more -- even if their plans are stupid, they can throw money and armies at the situation until it resolves itself.

To be fair, the Lannisters have been untouchable for a whole generation now. I don't think that the concept of failure even occurs to Tywin's children any more -- even if their plans are stupid, they can throw money and armies at the situation until it resolves itself.

Define untouchable.

Cersei knew that her father's power had limits.

"The king won't ask him. And once its done, Father can't object, not openly. Aerys had Ser Ilyn's Payne tongue torn out just for boasting that it was the Hand who truly ruled the Seven Kingdoms. The captain of the Hand's guard, and yet father dared not try and stop it. He won't stop this,either."

Define untouchable.

Cersei knew that her father's power had limits.

"The king won't ask him. And once its done, Father can't object, not openly. Aerys had Ser Ilyn's Payne tongue torn out just for boasting that it was the Hand who truly ruled the Seven Kingdoms. The captain of the Hand's guard, and yet father dared not try and stop it. He won't stop this,either."

I was more talking about the current generation of Lannister adults, who spent most of their formative years with what was virtually infinite privilege. Jaime and Cersei in particular took absolutely absurd risks -- having sex right next to a sleeping Robert (he was drunk, but that's not the same as being in a vegetative state, deliberately maiming the Hand of the King in the middle of the capital) and having sex in Winterfell. They didn't seem to think that anything bad could happen to them because their family was so powerful and, on top of that, nothing bad had ever really happened to them -- at least, as a result of their own crimes. Tywin was more cautious and thoughtful but his kids started the story acting as if there was no one they couldn't just wipe out whenever they wanted to. This wasn't a totally unreasonable problem -- until Joffrey died, the Lannisters pretty got away with almost everything.

I was more talking about the current generation of Lannister adults, who spent most of their formative years with what was virtually infinite privilege. Jaime and Cersei in particular took absolutely absurd risks -- having sex right next to a sleeping Robert (he was drunk, but that's not the same as being in a vegetative state, deliberately maiming the Hand of the King in the middle of the capital) and having sex in Winterfell. They didn't seem to think that anything bad could happen to them because their family was so powerful and, on top of that, nothing bad had ever really happened to them. Tywin was more cautious and thoughtful but his kids started the story acting as if there was no one they couldn't just wipe out whenever they wanted to. This wasn't a totally unreasonable problem -- until Joffrey died, the Lannisters pretty got away with almost everything.

Absurd risks because when emotion comes into play, they can't control themselves.

But when Cersei stepped back and thought about it, I think she realized that failure was absolutely a possibility. She was scared shitless throughout Clash

Absurd risks because when emotion comes into play, they can't control themselves.

But when Cersei stepped back and thought about it, I think she realized that failure was absolutely a possibility. She was scared shitless throughout Clash

But in Clash, Tyrion was in charge. Not Cersei. If she had been in charge, she would have bled confidence. The Lannister siblings can detect weaknesses in each other's plans, but not in their own nor Tywin's.

Archived